Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
OldManGhia

Default Rear Axle End Float??

I have had an on going problem for the past 5 years with poor brake peddle pressure. The brakes have been bled numerous times, master cylinder, booster, and now the front calipers have all been replaced. I have also had a problem with the hand brake requiring adjustment 2 to 3 times a year.

The car was at the mechanics this week for the annual rego inspection and he was not able to adjust the hand brake sufficiently. He did find that the rear axle end float (about 1 mil or so) was excessive and blames this for the poor hand brake adjustment. He has also suggested that this may be the cause of the brake problem. His theory is that the rotor is pushing the pads away as the axle moves out and when I use the brakes the pads have to be pushed back against the rotor before there is any brake pressure. He also said that the local bloke who repairs the diff housing has done about 40 of them mostly AU for the local Ford Dealer. Because my diff is not noisy a proper repair should cost around $900. But if the diff was noisy $1500-2000. The cheapest way to fix it is to replace the wheel bearings and use a spacer to take up any remaining movement.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this or have any suggestions??

OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
OldManGhia

Somebody must have some thoughts or whatever about this problem...

Thanks guys
Old 20-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

The brake and handbrake issues you describe sound like the typical experience of Series 1 AU owners. What exactly do you mean by poor pedal pressure though? My pedal was hard and lacking in feel, needing a good shove to get the brakes working, although the travel was short... felt like the brakes were underboosted.

Do you have a lot of freeplay in the pedal... it goes down a long way before offering any resistance or there is any hint of slowing? If so, 2 things come to mind...

1. Maybe there is excessive clearance between the booster pushrod and master cylinder piston. The pushrod has an adjuster screw that can be screwed out to close the gap.

2. Was the master cylinder bled (rather than bleeding at the wheels)? I've heard of air being trapped in the master cylinder, requiring a specific bleeding technique... jacking the rear of the car up until the master cylinder bore is horizontal, disconnecting the brake lines (one at a time????) and inserting a bleed tube in their place, then pumping the pedal to force air out.

I'm a bit sceptical about the axle end float affecting the brakes that much, but it's probably something you need to fix anyway.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its possible it still has air in it (i would put my money on it), also it is possible to have a faulty master cylander specially if its was a reco(but it does`nt happen often, spongey pedal can also be soft brake hoses braided brake hoses is a good upgrade anyway, his theory on the hand brake doesnt seem right to me, but without having a look who knows, maybe get a 2nd opinion?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
OldManGhia

Thankyou for the replys.

The pedal on a good day has little movement before the brakes start working. The pedal feels firm and braking is quite good (for an AU anyway). But on a bad day the pedal will go as much as half way before there is any pressure at all. The brakes still work but just lots of pedal. If you take your foot off the brakes then re-apply the brakes straight away you have a full pedal and good brakes. At least until you go to use it again. Them the same thing happens.

As mentioned before the brakes have been bled at least five or six times. There was no difference between the old master cylinder and the re-built one.
Old 21-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
I have had an on going problem for the past 5 years with poor brake peddle pressure. The brakes have been bled numerous times, master cylinder, booster, and now the front calipers have all been replaced. I have also had a problem with the hand brake requiring adjustment 2 to 3 times a year.

The car was at the mechanics this week for the annual rego inspection and he was not able to adjust the hand brake sufficiently. He did find that the rear axle end float (about 1 mil or so) was excessive and blames this for the poor hand brake adjustment. He has also suggested that this may be the cause of the brake problem. His theory is that the rotor is pushing the pads away as the axle moves out and when I use the brakes the pads have to be pushed back against the rotor before there is any brake pressure. He also said that the local bloke who repairs the diff housing has done about 40 of them mostly AU for the local Ford Dealer. Because my diff is not noisy a proper repair should cost around $900. But if the diff was noisy $1500-2000. The cheapest way to fix it is to replace the wheel bearings and use a spacer to take up any remaining movement.

I doubt the end play is a real problem in the manner your " mechanic" claims , usually it's a pedal shudder easily solved by new bearings in the end tubes and some shimms , any competent diff bloke can do it for three hours labour and parts , the brakes however sound like leaky and or bad fliud , I would be checking and rebuilding/replacing slave/caliper seals and is the trouble persists a full fluid bleed and possibly master swap as well , for the couplf of hundred it will cost the safety aspect can't be over stated
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
I doubt the end play is a real problem in the manner your " mechanic" claims , usually it's a pedal shudder easily solved by new bearings in the end tubes and some shimms , any competent diff bloke can do it for three hours labour and parts , the brakes however sound like leaky and or bad fliud , I would be checking and rebuilding/replacing slave/caliper seals and is the trouble persists a full fluid bleed and possibly master swap as well , for the couplf of hundred it will cost the safety aspect can't be over stated
Master cylinder has been changed, front calipers reconned, brakes bled about six times and bled through a couple of times, booster exchanged, nothing done to rears though.

I have spoke to another mechanic about shims and new bearings but I wonder if that will make any difference to the brakes?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #8
cog
Starter Motor

Default Re: Rear Axle End Float??

This may sound stupid but are the brakes being bled using clear tubing? That way you can see if there is still air coming out as you bleed them. Also some bleeding techniques can cause dramas/leave/draw air back in if not done correctly...
cog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

impressive 7 year thread mine .
Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
cog
Starter Motor

Haha, maybe should've read the dates...
Maybe should've been sleeping instead
cog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats alright mate , we all get caught sometimes .
Old 24-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
mookie01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManGhia View Post

sounds like somebody has machined the rotors at some point which i never do because the pedals go soft, do not machine rotors have them replaced with new ones it is just not worth it
mookie01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post