Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Default Series 1 v8 Fairmont xr8 220 conversion

Hey all

Not sure if posting this in the right place but in putting a 220 xr8 motor and box into a series 1 v8 Fairmont. (An building a te50 replica ish thing) my main question is will the Fairmont ecu run the 220 to all its potential? Because in guessing the xr8 wbu being a series 2 won't want to work with smartlock system?

Anyone been down this road?

Cheers for any help

Eddy
eddy220t3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Series 1 v8 Fairmont xr8 220 conversion

Eddy,

You would need the ECU from the XR8 220 to run at it's full potential. I never had done the conversion, however I own an XR8 220, and I can't imagine this motor running on a Fairmont ECU given what Tickford has done to these motors. I would suggest a ECU from an XR8 220 or a custom ECU, which would be an expensive upgrade.

Good luck Eddy
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Yea I was thinking that. I have the way out of the 220 but it's a series 2 not series 1 like the Fairmont so being out of a smart shield system instead of smart lock don't know if it would pair up
Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

They run quite ok with the stocker ECU.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

As said it will run fine on the fairmont ECU but down a bit of power and torque. The 175/185kw tunes are set up for 91ron fuel and have less spark advance.

Once it's up and running you can look into a J3 chip or quarterhorse for tuning. Getting the S2/3 ecu to work in the S1 will be a headache as there are differences in the BCMs and instrument clusters.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Yea that makes sense, in thinking I'll just get a j3 for it then it should run ideal. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Do not use the series 2/3 ECU in your series 1. Just drop in the 220 and custom tune to suite.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
As said it will run fine on the fairmont ECU but down a bit of power and torque. The 175/185kw tunes are set up for 91ron fuel and have less spark advance.

Once it's up and running you can look into a J3 chip or quarterhorse for tuning. Getting the S2/3 ecu to work in the S1 will be a headache as there are differences in the BCMs and instrument clusters.

When I enquired about a J3 for my VCT AU I was told the A/C won’t work. I’m not sure if it’s the same for the V8 something to keep in mind. If you want to run a S2/S3 ECU in a S1 it can be done if you swap the dash from a Series 1.5 and also use a steering column from a smartshield AU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman01 View Post
When I enquired about a J3 for my VCT AU I was told the A/C won’t work. I’m not sure if it’s the same for the V8 something to keep in mind. If you want to run a S2/S3 ECU in a S1 it can be done if you swap the dash from a Series 1.5 and also use a steering column from a smartshield AU.

The A/C issues are a known problem with the TI Performance J3 chips in AUs (they're fine in E series though). Moates J3 chips or the Moates Quarterhorse work fine in AUs with one small caveat (PM me if you want to know). I have a Moates J3 in mine.

Interesting about the clusters... I've often wanted a real oil pressure gauge like the series 1 had, do you know if the series 1.5 clusters have real oil pressure or dummy gauges like the S2/3?
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
The A/C issues are a known problem with the TI Performance J3 chips in AUs (they're fine in E series though). Moates J3 chips or the Moates Quarterhorse work fine in AUs with one small caveat (PM me if you want to know). I have a Moates J3 in mine.

Interesting about the clusters... I've often wanted a real oil pressure gauge like the series 1 had, do you know if the series 1.5 clusters have real oil pressure or dummy gauges like the S2/3?

Yes all Series 1/1.5 clusters have real oil pressure gauges

VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Change the 220's valve springs before you fit the engine, they're a known weakness.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post