Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
mancavedweller

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent control blade article. 
Default Anyone experienced the problem with the Powershift double clutch transmissions ??

Looking at a 2012 Ford Fiesta CL WT Auto. It's got a 1.6 engine with a 6 speed DCT (double clutch technology) automatic gearbox (Powershift gearbox).

I'm surprised to see very little mention here, of the known problem with these gearboxes. Things like clunky changes during low speed acceleration, etc.

Anyone here owned a Ford with one of these Powershift gearboxes. If so has it displayed any of these problems.

I believe Ford had a recall on this matter but it only lasted until the beginning of 2015 and so if the problem appears you'll have to pay to get it fixed.
mancavedweller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
bear351c
BEAR

Default Re: Anyone experienced the problem with the Powershift double clutch transmissions ??

Yep, wife has Fiesta 2013, (I think it's a WA model) 1300 Kia engine. Had it back 3 times for clutch problems with the auto. First time, they cleaned all the clutch plates and blamed a leaky oil seal, second time, they updated the software, in the trans!! 3rd time they increased the shift point, 500 revs higher in each gear to overcome the issue. It's better now, but, a proper fix would have been nice.
Apart from that, issue mostly a good little run about. Just come up for it's 100,000 service. Suits the missus, as she crawls through peak hour traffic everyday. Pretty economical, considering.
Oh, and the left hand headlight keeps blowing.
Old 19-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
mancavedweller

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent control blade article. 
Default Re: Anyone experienced the problem with the Powershift double clutch transmissions ??

Thanks Bear,

I called one of the Ford dealers today and they verbally confirmed there's a 7 year warranty on this issue so if I buy a 2012 Fiesta it should be done for free.

I heard part of the fix was to actually change the clutch for a new one with updated & improved material, so I'm surprised all they did was clean the plates.
Also heard about the oil seal and the software update.

Increasing the revs for each gear does sound like an act of desperation LOL.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
efreetdjinn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancavedweller View Post
Looking at a 2012 Ford Fiesta CL WT Auto. It's got a 1.6 engine with a 6 speed DCT (double clutch technology) automatic gearbox (Powershift gearbox).

I'm surprised to see very little mention here, of the known problem with these gearboxes. Things like clunky changes during low speed acceleration, etc.

Anyone here owned a Ford with one of these Powershift gearboxes. If so has it displayed any of these problems.

I believe Ford had a recall on this matter but it only lasted until the beginning of 2015 and so if the problem appears you'll have to pay to get it fixed.
I have the same car, but I only experience this only if the weather is HOT (30C+) and if driving it for more than an hour.

One thing I notice is a clunking sound whenever I slow down and tried to gain speed.
efreetdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
mancavedweller

Thanks Efreetdjinn,

that's interesting about the ambient temperature affecting things. That seems to indicate hotter transmission fluid temperature is affecting things, so maybe a decent transmission fluid cooler will help things a lot.
Old 20-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
bear351c
BEAR

Hadn't thought about a trans cooler..............

Missus said, for the price, "we'll just drive it 'til it dies". I guess increasing the rev range, gave the 'clutch' a little more bite
Old 20-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
mancavedweller

I researched about towing heavy loads before I started pulling an excavator around with my Territory.

Ended up fitting TWO quality transmission fluid coolers in front of the radiator, plus did a transmission flush and full replacement of fluid.

After a year of heavy towing, the transmission fluid was still in good nick. They do reckon overheating is the biggest cause of early transmission failure. I've also heard some taxi drivers invest in big transmission coolers and regular transmission services, and they get a LOT of Ks out of the gearbox.

I personally treat "non serviceable" transmissions just like I treat an engine, and do FULL changes of the fluid (flush with engine running until new fluid is being pumped out) every year or so, and change the filter too.
Old 20-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #8
bear351c
BEAR

Quote:
I personally treat "non serviceable" transmissions just like I treat an engine, and do FULL changes of the fluid (flush with engine running until new fluid is being pumped out) every year or so, and change the filter too.

yep, this.. ^ ^ ^
Old 22-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We have a 2012. its had 3 replacemnt clutches. The last one fitted in February is a ceramic one and works brilliantly.

Take it to a ford dealer 2012 models have warranty on powershift till 2019. I believe it is now sorted and our car will be good for160000kms.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
mancavedweller

Cheers Kevino,

that's great information, I was starting to think there was no decent fix.
Old 22-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It goes really well now. These are a great sharp responsive gearbox when operating properly ie with the latest ceramic clutch. They also have a button on the gear knob which will drop it back one gear useful on winding hilly roads and inclines on motorways at speed.
ours averages 6.4 litres per 100km,s around town urban work and on E10 fuel.
Old 22-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
mancavedweller

The fuel economy is one of the things that attracted me. Users said it was quite a nippy car no doubt due to the 1.6 engine. Yet it's listed as having fuel economy better than cars with a smaller engine.

The only worry I'll have if I buy a 2nd hand one is that the gearbox is fine for NOW but develops the problem after the warranty period is over.

You don't normally buy a 2nd hand car wanting a problem to rear its head but in this case I do so I can get a proper fix done for free and know it's then good LOL.

Also having a problem evident gives me a little push with the dealer to give a better price (evil grin).
Old 22-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The fuel economy is one of the things that attracted me. Users said it was quite a nippy car no doubt due to the 1.6 engine. Yet it's listed as having fuel economy better than cars with a smaller engine.

The only worry I'll have if I buy a 2nd hand one is that the gearbox is fine for NOW but develops the problem after the warranty period is over.

You don't normally buy a 2nd hand car wanting a problem to rear its head but in this case I do so I can get a proper fix done for free and know it's then good LOL.

Also having a problem evident gives me a little push with the dealer to give a better price (evil grin).

Dont pay too much. We got offered 6k for ours as a trade in on a Peugeot. We didnt bother after that low ball offer.
They are very quick from a standing start. I quite like the engine 92kw and 159 nm from memory.
Old 22-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
mancavedweller

The 2012 one that I seen had an asking price of $10K (car dealer drive away price).

I think the gearbox issue has gave them a bad reputation, plus a lot of stories of Ford trying to get out of fixing it. I think the only reason they have this 7 year recall fix is due to the Australian Consumer Department forcing them to do so.

I see zillions of Mazda 2/3, small Toyotas, Nissans, Hyundais, etc, etc, but I hardly see any of these Fiestas. I wonder where they all are.
Old 23-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
The 2012 one that I seen had an asking price of $10K (car dealer drive away price).

I think the gearbox issue has gave them a bad reputation, plus a lot of stories of Ford trying to get out of fixing it. I think the only reason they have this 7 year recall fix is due to the Australian Consumer Department forcing them to do so.

I see zillions of Mazda 2/3, small Toyotas, Nissans, Hyundais, etc, etc, but I hardly see any of these Fiestas. I wonder where they all are.
FYI The 7 year warranty came about long before the ACCC did their investigation it was at Fords own hand and trying to do the right thing that the extended warranty came about. They realised the problem and tried to the best they could even though it took some time to work through the issues. Engineering fixes just don't happen overnight. The problem needs to be identified, a solution sort, manufacture of parts, testing and validation etc. I think the issue is finally sorted now..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 05:49 AM   #16
mancavedweller

Fair enough GTlegend, but the vague information I was given about the consumer department was told to me by a Ford dealer.

Oh, and I haven't suggested anywhere that an overnight fix should have happened, although many think the answer would have been better pre-release testing of this gearbox.

However, what I have noticed is that it seems to have taken Ford about 5 YEARS to finally come up with a fix that actually works (re. Kevino and the ceramic clutch February this year).

There's also plenty stories out there on the net of users going back to Ford dealers and being given the runaround with this issue (I've personally had a Ford dealer try to give me some real good BS about an engine problem our Territory had + and a $1400 solution !! Our local mechanic said Ford were trying to rip me off and he fixed it for $400 and been running great for years).

So I'm not as protective of Ford as some are.
Old 24-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #17
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Yes agree, the dealers themselves are not often advocates of Ford, most are in it to make quick $$$$ at the expense of Ford and the customer.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #18
mancavedweller

As I was leaving work today, I managed to catch a guy before he drove away in his Ford Focus 2013.

When I asked him about it, he gave me a very certain nod of recognition. Said he'd had his transmission clutch changed out only 6 months ago and his words were, "It's still sh*t" LOL.

I asked if he'd had the ceramic clutch put in but he had no idea.

So a proper fix is still like Forest Gumps box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.
Old 25-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time will tell I guess. And there are bad and good Ford dealers. The dealer we deal with here on the Gold Coast are Sunshine Ford and they are just brilliant.
Mind you one way to avoid thsi auto trans problems and Hyundai and Vw have issues too with dct transmissions.
That is buy a manual! LT TDCI 6 speed manual ran it till 278000 sold it because thought I might run out of luck. Now have an LZ Focus 6 speed manual 33000kms no issues whatsoever get it serviced at a non ford dealer 50 -80 buck cheaper. I got a manual for 2 reasons less fuel use and negating auto transmission costs!
Old 19-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #20
dallen52
Starter Motor

I have one in pieces again at a different Ford dealership.
DEC 12 1.5 litre sports.

Clutch pack and seals replaced plus reprogrammed calibrated several times.
TCM is the problem in my mind, but hard to get the dealer or FORD customer service to do the 14M02... 14M01 already done.
Field Service Actions..Listed in ETIS system so why not just do.

THIS dealer wants to take the clutch out and start from basics.
its covered out to 10 years now...
But i'm without wheels once again.

NOT STARTING
TCM WHIRING AND CLUNKING
STICKS IN LOW RANGE
NOT DIS ENGAGING WHEN YOU BRAKE..
P1700 CODES
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON
TCM LOSING ROM MEMORY AT ABOUT 400km

IN my opinion... TCM is malfunctioning...
dallen52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #21
dallen52
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Yes agree, the dealers themselves are not often advocates of Ford, most are in it to make quick $$$$ at the expense of Ford and the customer.
AGREE
I have the FIESTA DCT issue ongoing.
First dealer said it needs a new fuel pump because of low pressure reading.
I SAID check the air cleaner element and re test.. OK.

SECOND dealer where the car is now said, needs a new battery..
BS.. its seven months old..
I suggested improving the earthing contact points...

OH SORRY....

I worked Ford Dealer Audit for several years.
THEY would be toast if I was still doing that job.
dallen52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post