Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Dealership complaint #70,001

Well I am not happy!

Few days back I put the little blue toy in for a warranty service, just the usual little niggling problems that needed looking at, and had a TSB done also. Seeing as it was a warranty job there was no charge. Or so i thought.

In the back of my owners manual it states the original owners name, selling dealer etc (i bought it used). And more importantly it states the date of first sale and rego, which is when the factory warranty starts. Mine is Dec 24 02, meaning that my 3yr warranty runs out on Dec 24 this year.

The dealer (and yes it is the one I used to work at, stuff it i will shame them) is claiming the warranty ran out on Sep 13th of this year and thus that I owe them money for the work that was done.

I am aboslutely spewing because they think they can just pull a date out of their **** (seems like it anyway) and tell me thats when it ran out. They claim to have checked with Ford about it, however I will be calling CRC and the dealer that originally sold my car today try and sort this crap out. I know I am right but it just annoys me so much that they are acting like a bunch of little kids about it. While I have had the Focus I have NEVER had anything go right there, or had a free service that I was entitled to, and now this.

Not good enough Hillis Ford. I will not be back.

Old 29-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would definitely think that warranty would start on the day the customer received the car, not when it was built
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I would definitely think that warranty would start on the day the customer received the car, not when it was built
It does, and even if it did go by build date, Sep 13 still has no relevance. My car was not built then.
Old 29-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Warranty start date is first owner delivery date as per the handbook its all there black and white and you shouldn't need to argue it.

Take the book in show them the date of delivery sticker in the back of the book and ask them to read the warranty information in the book to you where it explains about the warranty term.

The only maybe could be if it was a company demonstrator first reg to the dealer then there is a some negotiation.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well this is back2thefutura saying that after this car I will never buy a Ford again. Ironic seeing as Im organising an All Ford Day huh?

I called CRC to sort this out today, and basically i am stuffed. My car was, unknown to me, a dealer demo car before the first owner bought it (then i bought it once they traded it), so the warranty did expire on September 13th.

On Monday of this week (Sep 26) I had a TSB done along with some other minor work at Hillis Ford. Only yesterday (Spe 29) did they tell me that the car was out of warranty. If I had have known it was, i wouldnt have taken it back.

Furthermore, when I was looking at the car to buy it, the salespeople did tell me that the car didnt run out of factory warranty until December. Didnt mention anything about it being ex-demo (thank god it has not been thrased or damaged like so many are). So all this time I stupidly believed them and it has got me in this situation.

In the back of my Onwers manual it does not mention it being ex-demo, it clearly says date of sale is 24/12/02. So i wont be paying a cent even if the warranty is run out.

Because of this, never again will I buy a Ford. I love the cars, I think they are fantastic, but I am just so sick of the BS and the people you have to deal with to get one. Mazda3 here I come when it is time to upgrade.
Old 29-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Mate, I've read countless threads here about dissatisfaction with Ford dealers. Although I'm in a fortunate position where I've bought two Fords through other dealers, and have never had to deal with Ford dealerships.

Are there any other dealers near where you are?
Old 29-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yep, and thats the pathetic thing about the whole issue - I am most certainly not alone. Too many threads on here complain about Ford dealers and like you I figured it was just people having a whinge - until it happened to me.

i should rephrase - I will buy a Ford again but only from RATT and I dont care how far I have to drive to get it. Mate I dont know you personally but i have seen and heard enough about you to realise that you're one of the FEW people I would trust after this.

The people i bought this car from were people i worked with, people i figured wouldnt lie to me! HA! Yeah right. Can see why a lot of people refuse to have anything to do with the dealership now.
Old 29-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
hambo_12

Keep your chin up Aust, personally I couldnt have had a better deal with McAlister, they were great (just a suggestion)...

In regards to RATT, with such a close relationship to the forum (opinions would be important to him/his dealer) you cant go wrong, im sure they would look after you...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Thats not right!! Thats not right at all....tell them that your going to visit big Ray on A Current Affair....that should give them a scare

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Yey another person who wont buy a ford lol

Sorry to hear about that Aust, gives you the right s when dealers stuff you around like this.

Chris
Old 29-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
Yey another person who wont buy a ford lol

Sorry to hear about that Aust, gives you the right s when dealers stuff you around like this.

Chris
Yeah Chris its rough but thats just how it is. At the moment it would take a lot to get me to even look at another one, and whatever I buy it sure as hell wont be coming from around here.
Old 29-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Because of this, never again will I buy a Ford. I love the cars, I think they are fantastic, but I am just so sick of the BS and the people you have to deal with to get one. Mazda3 here I come when it is time to upgrade.
Mate,
Can understand you may be ****ed about this, but what makes you think it will be any different with a different dealer of a different car make? From my experience there are good and bad dealers for all makes and models......its not just restricted to Ford.
Old 29-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
Stampy

don't give up on ford!

but also read in your hand book or maybe your service book you can get an extended warranty if the car has done less than ?????/klm and is less than 3 years old ,and you become the 2nd owner
Ex demo car or not FORD should stand by the sales date not dealer delv date ,.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
don't give up on ford!

but also read in your hand book or maybe your service book you can get an extended warranty if the car has done less than ?????/klm and is less than 3 years old ,and you become the 2nd owner
Ex demo car or not FORD should stand by the sales date not dealer delv date ,.
Extended warranty is not something I want to do, mainly because i dont want to pay to be tied to a Ford dealer for even longer. After this, i dont care if it was a GT-P that voided warranty the second it didnt go to Ford - i will never have my car serviced by a dealer EVER again.

My main gripe with this whole situation is that I was lied to - I wasnt told it was an ex-demo (and yes, they DID know this when i bought it), and they told me it had factory warranty until December.

Now they're saying it doesnt, and they are saying this only after I have already had work done to the car and presenting me with a bill.

I won't be paying a cent and I will be sending a letter to both the dealer principal and Ford CRC. Its about time these clowns got exposed, and even if nothing happens I will feel better :.

I guess my comment about going to other brands was warranted mainly because Ford is the one I know about most. I see the trheads on here, I talk to the people who own them. I have no doubt this sort of stuff happens regardless of brand but seriously, I think Ford as a company have a HUGE problem that is just getting worse and worse - and that problem is cowboy dealers who pull stupid stunts like this.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I bought the XR it was a feb 02 build. Just about out of warranty, I booked it in for some work saying warranty is about up, time for a once over in which ford tells me warranty is through until the end of March. Why? It's because the date the car is first registered is the date that the car's warranty started. John McGrtah Ford in Canberra is where i bought both my cars from, and this direct from my service manager Shaun. I assume the same is with my Focus. First registered in March 2005. But car was built in October 2004. 3 year warranty should start from March 1.

Good luck Austin
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #16
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate,
At point of sale you were told it was a one onwer car. I would take the issue up with consumer affairs, now they may tell you consumer affairs is only for small claims under $5000.00 and a car was obviously more than that. You can agree with them and say yes but the issue here is the charge for the warranty service not the price of the car, I am sure even if The dealership is in the right , having to pay an employee to go along and sit in a small claims tribunal and have to defend thier postion may cost more than letting the work go through as warranty as they misrepresented the sale of the car in the first place. (it will probably cost you a day off work too)
:
Old 29-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
When I bought the XR it was a feb 02 build. Just about out of warranty, I booked it in for some work saying warranty is about up, time for a once over in which ford tells me warranty is through until the end of March. Why? It's because the date the car is first registered is the date that the car's warranty started. John McGrtah Ford in Canberra is where i bought both my cars from, and this direct from my service manager Shaun. I assume the same is with my Focus. First registered in March 2005. But car was built in October 2004. 3 year warranty should start from March 1.

Good luck Austin
Well yeah, thats how it works for any car regardless - warranty period begins from the date of first registration.
The problem here is that nobody told me when that was! The only documentation of any type I have to go on is the information in the owners manual which says the registration occured on 24/12/02. Hence why I am not paying, because if they couldnt find that out before I bought the car and tell me, and chose to wait until I owed them money, they can go jump.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #18
FezWit

Be like me- buy a toyota instead! :P
FezWit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Are you sure the car wasnt retailed on that date and perhaps the book wasnt put in it till later as there were a shortage of Focus owners manuals when they first came out??

Ring Customer relations or have a look on your service docket as it should have the date in which the car was retailed...

Seems very unusual as the warranty does not start until the date of registration, you can go buy an 03 Falcon and still get 3 years warranty on it providing theres no rego, this excludes demos of course as they are already registered in the dealers name....

Anyways most dealers will give you a little extra time over the date if you have already whinged about these or some of these issues before... You are still in september and the car is obviously within its 100,000 kms...

Opps i just read your post up above, i should have read them all before hand! :sm_headba
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Are you sure the car wasnt retailed on that date and perhaps the book wasnt put in it till later as there were a shortage of Focus owners manuals when they first came out??

Ring Customer relations or have a look on your service docket as it should have the date in which the car was retailed...

Seems very unusual as the warranty does not start until the date of registration, you can go buy an 03 Falcon and still get 3 years warranty on it providing theres no rego, this excludes demos of course as they are already registered in the dealers name....

Anyways most dealers will give you a little extra time over the date if you have already whinged about these or some of these issues before... You are still in september and the car is obviously within its 100,000 kms...

Opps i just read your post up above, i should have read them all before hand! :sm_headba

hehehe, just to clarify though - i am absolutely positive the owners manual is the original one that came with the car.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Mate you better take it up with the selling dealer, they have obviously lied to the first owner and you have also unfortunately come undone.. It may not even have been a drive demo, could have just been registered so the dealer got bonus on it and it may not have even moved like some of them up here in QLD, but the Registration date should also be september, which is weird... So is the sticker a December one? Ive never seen a dealer reregister a demo for another 12 months after having it registered for three, only do plate swap :
Old 29-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Mate you better take it up with the selling dealer, they have obviously lied to the first owner and you have also unfortunately come undone.. It may not even have been a drive demo, could have just been registered so the dealer got bonus on it and it may not have even moved like some of them up here in QLD, but the Registration date should also be september, which is weird... So is the sticker a December one? Ive never seen a dealer reregister a demo for another 12 months after having it registered for free, only do plate swap :
yeah, thats the next step. I dont know what theyve done but the guy at CRC today was pretty good about it all, and he looked up the car and found it had been registered earlier than what my owners manual says, and he reckoned it was 99% sure that it would have been for demonstrator purposes. But of course this isnt listed in the manual which has caused all of this.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Well I am not happy!

Few days back I put the little blue toy in for a warranty service, just the usual little niggling problems that needed looking at, and had a TSB done also. Seeing as it was a warranty job there was no charge. Or so i thought.

In the back of my owners manual it states the original owners name, selling dealer etc (i bought it used). And more importantly it states the date of first sale and rego, which is when the factory warranty starts. Mine is Dec 24 02, meaning that my 3yr warranty runs out on Dec 24 this year.

The dealer (and yes it is the one I used to work at, stuff it i will shame them) is claiming the warranty ran out on Sep 13th of this year and thus that I owe them money for the work that was done.

I am aboslutely spewing because they think they can just pull a date out of their **** (seems like it anyway) and tell me thats when it ran out. They claim to have checked with Ford about it, however I will be calling CRC and the dealer that originally sold my car today try and sort this crap out.

Your warrenty starts from when the car was first regestered with vic roads. I picked my car up in JAN 2005 but the car was regestered in NOV 2004. In the service book Ford calls it the date of sale. It says this in the warrenty section somewhere. So if your service book says the date your claiming than your in the right.

The dealership is seems like it's playing ya. But than there are dealerships like that out there.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your happy to spend a few years in Jail, buy the biggest cheapest oldest car you can and drive it into thier show room. Down the side of the car paint the words "Check with your service manager cause I do think warranty will cover a car that's been parked up your backside" Bwhahaha
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #25
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Your warrenty starts from when the car was first regestered with vic roads.
Bit hard to register with Vic Roads when he's in NSW hey... :

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Bit hard to register with Vic Roads when he's in NSW hey... :

VIC Roads, RTA (i think), Queensland transport, there all c***'s
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #27
EL_futuraistic

. That doesnt sound good at all. Unfortunately its not just Ford dealers who are dodgey. These days warranty isnt worth the paper its written on, there is so many escape clauses and outs. Although surely as its only 15 days out of warranty they can just fix it under warranty. What ever happened to the old customer service/satisfaction.....

I just recently purchased a nissan, which was owned by nissan. Also told it has 2.5 years warranty left, but after your story im going to check my service book very carefully
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
Although surely as its only 15 days out of warranty they can just fix it under warranty. What ever happened to the old customer service/satisfaction.....
Hillis Ford never had any of this. I find it very ironic because pride of place in their service reception area is given to all their "customer service and satisfaction" awards. I will be kicking up a right royal stink about this cos its about time they got shown to be what they are - money grabbing turds.
Old 29-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to get back into this one.. But Back2thefutura did Hills sell the car new?? If not then go kick up a stink at the dealership who did rather then taking it out on Hills, its not their problem, its the selling dealers.
Old 29-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Sorry to get back into this one.. But Back2thefutura did Hills sell the car new?? If not then go kick up a stink at the dealership who did rather then taking it out on Hills, its not their problem, its the selling dealers.
Shockwave,

Original selling Dealership was not Hillis.

However.......

*Hillis still had full vehicle history available before they sold it to me
*They also had full information regarding warranty etc available

So no excuses. Obviously I will be chasing up the original dealer also, but my beef is mainly with Hillis because they could have stopped this situation from arising by simply telling me the truth and giving me the full history on the car (which is what i asked for) in the first place.