Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
ATSEIF DROF

Default XR4 - The Facts

So what is the car actually like, give us the lowdown, all I've heard is you b#tches arguing about sh#t!?!!?!?! :togo:

Btw, stripes can be done in any colour if dealer fitted!

ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL...nice post.

Why dont you book a test drive? Ill give you an internet-spec opinion.

Will handle like nothing else, will have a decent amount of go for a small car, look hot and wont cost you the earth to own.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I call his post a no bullsh!t approch

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on what your priorities are in a car. IMO, for $24,990 RRP, it's pretty good deal. No other brand new cars can give you as much fun as the XR4 for less than $28,500. Polo GTI might be a close second, but we won't go there today.

In a nut shell, the XR4 is like a WQ Zetec that's in a very bad mood.

If you look at the competition :-
-Swift Sport
-Ralliart Colt
-Polo GTI
-C2 VTS

The XR4 just have more character & charisma and I wouldn't be surprized if it's faster on the track than the cars above.

It might be a 5-yr old car, but it still looks cool today and will look great in 5 yrs time (btw, have you seen any of the next gen. "Fiesta" pics?).
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
If you look at the competition :-
-Swift Sport
-Ralliart Colt
-Polo GTI
-C2 VTS
You're forgetting the 96kW 280Nm $27,990 Fiat Punto Sport and the 110kW 1.6 Turbo Peugeot 207 GT, at $31,490. XR4 screams value over those two though...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
0xyg3n

I've never driven a WQ. But to me the xr4 is a big step up from the WP.

I'll start with the interior. The dash is alot better with the soft touch plastics. The seats are 100x better. I dont move 1 bit during cornering. And I get the feeling ford has done some more work on the NVH as there is hardly any road noise and you cant hear the engine untill you put ur foot down. Even with the aftermarket sound proofing on my WP its no were as quiet as the XR4.

The power a decent step up as well. Some very unhappy holden drivers around here at the moment :P But I do seem to have 1 problem the TC wants to kick in all the time one me lol. I think I need to change my driving style abit. It still seems to pull away from many cars with the TC doing it thing.

I haven't really pushed the car hard around corners as I do with the WP so I cant say what its like there. So far its been on par with the WP what I have done. My WP is lowered on Eibach and the ride is abit harsh. The XR4 feels alot better its no where near as harsh.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
You're forgetting the 96kW 280Nm $27,990 Fiat Punto Sport and the 110kW 1.6 Turbo Peugeot 207 GT, at $31,490. XR4 screams value over those two though...
Not ment to derail this thread but rhe Fiat Punto sporting isn't really a competitor to the xr4 even with the "sporting" title. Its a great car to drive around town and I would rather be in one and any other car in the range around town but as a Warm Hatch it sucks, no steering feel or feedback and binary brakes and not my cup of tea.

Definalty a great car and if your after a hatch with some performance the XR4 is the best IMO.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Aren't they bringing an Arbath version of the Fiat Punto out? Or is that it?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Back on track to the XR4 only, no other cars in this thread please else locky lock time

Thanks

Chris
Old 17-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Aw crap, if I hear any more good things about this car it'll force me to go and test drive one. Im not convinced I could move from the BA to it tho....Ive got small-car-itis generally.

Hmmmm black with stripes.....

Economy.....

Handling......

A new factory warranty....

Tempting.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
Matt RS2000

Do it Pepe and you'll never look back....

Except to see those Falcons still at the lights!!!

XR4 look great!! Wish they (and the XR5) were around when we bought the rex....
Matt RS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
JayD

I've had a look at a few different colour XR4's now, and was convinced that either the white with stripes, or blue with stripes was the go. But both of these have the wierd blue dash which puts me off a bit. I noticed the black has a black dash. It may just be enough to sway me towards the black. Any thoughts??
Jay
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Go black and you will never look back..... BLACK ROCKS! looks the BEST!

as a famous person said once...

JUST DO IT!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
ATSEIF DROF

Ok, as the XR4 is basically a zetec with a focus motor and is not exactly state of the art, would those who haven driven it say its handles a little better than WQ zetec or a lot better? Power-wise would you say its a giant leap or just stronger all round? I feel the lack of cruise hurts it a bit as I do a fair bit of freeway driving & the footwell is not exactly roomy either. How do the seats feel? I find the zetecs I sit on rather than in & dont hug me that well around corners..
ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I've driven both extensively.

It's much more powerful than a Zetec, but it's the torque that's amazing. Any gear, any time, it'll just pull cleanly. Giant Leap.

Handling is brilliant, helped mainly by the tyres (super sticky Pirelli P Zero Neros) but the suspension tune is fantastic, very well balanced. Stronger.

Seats - HUGE LEAP. THE most comfortable seats I've ever sat in (did 1,600km in an XR4 on highway and it was perfectly comofortable).

All up, well worth the extra money, and not only because it's so much better than a Zetec, but because compared to anything else, nothing comes close for the price and few even for the performance. A Vertitable bargain.

Driven a Swift sport. Hard ride, no torque, peaky 1.6litre screamer of an engine, tail happy buy ultimately feels cheaper with a platicky gearshift and hard seats. For a grand more, it's a very easy decision into the XR4. To be honest, a Fiesta Zetec is a better buy than the Swift Sport, and it's far cheaper too.
Old 20-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
mcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSEIF DROF
Ok, as the XR4 is basically a zetec with a focus motor and is not exactly state of the art, would those who haven driven it say its handles a little better than WQ zetec or a lot better? Power-wise would you say its a giant leap or just stronger all round? I feel the lack of cruise hurts it a bit as I do a fair bit of freeway driving & the footwell is not exactly roomy either. How do the seats feel? I find the zetecs I sit on rather than in & dont hug me that well around corners..

Went on the Ford launch week b4 last and we gave the cars a hard time round some good twisties. Handled like a dream, suspension tuning matched to the Pirellis is awesome! Add to that the fact that 80% of max torque is available at 1500 rpm and you have a small car that is a pleasure to drive (and drive hard) and yes, the seats are awesome - even my dicky back felt good after driving it hard for a whole day! Only thing I could pick on was the lack of footrest due to the small footwell area.
Picking up a press car for a weeks road test tomorrow - will try and post up some more opinions during the week
cheers
Mark Cooper
mcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear, Mark. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Ivan
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
frinik

Default Insurance

Anybody know what the insurance prices range from?
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
photn
AFF Post NAZI

1.5g under 25.

Old 20-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
1.5g under 25.
It pays to be 50+ !!! my V8 with AAMI is $648 a year with 60% ncb.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #21
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
It pays to be 50+ !!! my V8 with AAMI is $648 a year with 60% ncb.
but that'd make u old! ;) j/k

One of the key highlights of the car would have to be the Pirellis that they are wearing... clearly gives an indication this car is all about using the torque going straight and gettin around twisty stuff! :

Only problem is the Pirellis are pretty much top of the line and it's a worry that ppl will downgrade to a cheaper tyre and loose that upper level of handling in the process.
Old 21-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik
Anybody know what the insurance prices range from?

I did some looking around for the XR4, if i registered it to my folks place in the country $978, if i registered it to my house in H'berg $1600.
Big difference. So when i get my xr4 in a few months i will be "living" in the country with my parents.
Old 24-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
bman

Hey guys,

I dropped my XR5 into my dealership for it's 3000klm POMS. He has given me a Black XR4 with silver strips to drive for the next 24hours. I will post some pics soon.

Overall I am kinda impressed, not sure about the engine sound? Still too noisy, and it aint a nice noise either.

The ride is super stiff, and very nice around the bends. YOu can throw it into a corner with total confidence.

The interior is nice, dont like the blue dash, i think they should have coloured it all black.

Gear box is no different and the clutch is way too high for a 'sports' marketed car.

The wheels are awesome, love the black and silver!!

The only other thing i dont like it the throttle response. 1/2 way through the pedal is all you get. From 1/2 way to the floor there is no difference? I remember that my old Zetec had a response from start to finish? The XR4 reveals itself too early i think.

Otherwise, a decent improvment on the standard fiesta - though my earlier concern about the nature of the upgrade i feel has been confirmed. If you already own a Fiesta and are not a die hard XR4 fan - i think you might be dissapointed if you buy one.

If you buy one for the looks - you will be mighty impressed - she looks the goods!

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #24
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Interesting! I could be convinced by the XR4 IF any dealer in Adelaide would give me one for more than a drive around the bloody block.

Generally if Im spending the hard earned I like to drive the car in my own conditions, which means to work and back...bit of urban, lots of country roads.

Around the block doesnt cut it...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #25
Lisho
Starter Motor

Well be straight with them. Walk in there and tell them you are tired of their crap and demand a decent test drive.
Old 25-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #26
bman

BELIEVE!!

I few more things before i post some pics now that i have driven 100ks

I love the body kit! On such a small car the kit really stands out! And i like the one piece side skirt (XR5 is split towards the rear pillar)

Ride is very had, but somehow it seams to soak up the bumps before they get to the body. Could be the new tyres. The old Conti's have a reputation for being very hard.

1st gear is a hoot, 2nd fun, 3rd back to standard Fiesta territory.

I am not a fan of the cheap imitation leather. i would have preferred Ford to do something cool with materials, the red inserts on the seats are nice, they should have stuck with that but added black and grey on the back and sides.

Wheels still look small on those massive guards, but they are very very nice rims!!

Pics soon!

Old 25-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #27
scooby

Saw my first XR4 on the road yesterday..looks great ! I had a chuckle to myself when I saw the driver, an old lady, looked about 60. I hope she appreciates it. Made me wonder what led her to buying such a car.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Bman,

I spotted your ‘loan’ Fiesta XR4 today – looks great with the dark tint and black euro plates! Definitely stands out on the side of the road... although not as much as your Orange XR5T ;)

I’m loving the review too. Only ever seen an XR4 (been to the dealers a few times to check them out…) and never had a drive, but from all the reviews and from personal opinions I’d be more inclined to purchase a $28,100 drive away Fiesta XR4 over a $51,498 drive away Mini Cooper S Chili (which is only 0.8s quicker to 100km/h and probably just as fun in the twisties!).

I'll await your report later today

Cheers

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #29
bman

yeah for 28k you can not go wrong here. nice car - but it doesnt stand up to your 182 though. Yours was so much more agile than the XR4 - i remember walking away from the spin around the block thinking your car was so solid!

Still the XR4 is more than performance right? The looks alone has it towards the top of the list. I would be more in love with it had Ford attempted to reduce that engine sound - which at times really has you wondering about the stresses you are inflicting on the engine.....

Old 25-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #30
photn
AFF Post NAZI

once the car gets more ks on the clock, it tends to become more friendly.