Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Smile P2176 and EAC in Dash

Hi Guys, awesome forum and would like to ask for help.

My daughter drives an 04MY Fiesta 1.6 FYJB engine.

On her way home the other night she said it kept stalling on her but managed to get it home. It also came up with EAC Fail in the dash.

Had a look at it and found no DTC's. Only found freeze frame data for P2176.

I did find a split hose which I taped up at this point so is no longer leaking but this car will still not idle.

It will start and then idle on it's own but if you increase the revs then let it go it stalls.

The car also drives really well but when idling it seems to run really rich and the front 02 sensor reads rich but when RPM increased the sensor then fluctuates as it should.

Can anyone confirm the re-learn for the throttle body as I have tried one and it didn't work.

I am in the process of getting a second hand throttle body to put on this car and test but want to confirm the the re-learn.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice given.

I will update you as this diagnostics progress
Feisty 04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: P2176 and EAC in Dash

The relearn procedure I have used is here: http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/fie...throttle_body/
Read Step 2 under installation:
"Turn the ignition key to position II and wait for one minute to initialize the throttle body."

As for the throttle diagnostics, have you looked at Accelerator Pedal Position, and Throttle Position Sensor? Do you have access to anything that will graph it for you, such as Forscan?

What are the long term and short term fuel trims at idle, and under load?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Thanks for your response.

I will give that a go with the second hand throttle body.

I did look at the Accelerator pedal and throttle pedal and they seem to work fine.

I only have access to a basic scanner on my iPad.

As for the fuel trims they are reading about -12 on the long term when the vehicle idling which indicates a rich mixture and lack of oxygen.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Try downloading Forscan, it's free, graph the Accelerator Pedal Position and Throttle Position Sensor data, and see if it all correlates. See if the data looks any different once the new throttle body is installed.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Hi, thnak you for the advice.

I do not access to a laptop that will allow a download of the programme (Damn work laptop security).

Will keep you posted though and see how we go.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, please do
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Hi DZ ,

Just letting you know the throttle body and the pressure reg didn't work.

With the split breather hose tapped up still idles at about 550 but when you introduce an air leak to the system the rpm increases and the 02 sensor then starts fluctuating as it should.

If left to idle there then for a short period of time the RPM shoots up to approx 2100 and starts hunting and the EAC FAIL flashes. Eventually the engine will shut down. When restarted it's ok and then does the same....

Vehicle still drives ok, just when it comes to idle is the concern.

Also noted last night the speedo not working when driven.

Struggling with this one thats for sure.

I have a video and also images of what the throttle is doing and the throttle looks to be working fine from the readings. I just need to find out how to attach the video of the concern occurring and make the image size smaller.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just found this for you. Time to start checking the wiring terminals at the throttle body and ECU:

Ford Fiesta & Fusion upto 2003 1.25 1.4 1.6 Duratec

Problem: Loss of power and EAC FAIL displayed.

Solution: The EAC FAIL relates to the electronic accelerator control. Vehicles that trigger diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) / fault codes P2138 with P2122, P2123 or P2127 a common problem is the PCM (powertrain control module = ECM = engine control module) electrical connector. Check the electrical connector for the PCM for damage to the terminals and pins. Replace or repair as necessary. On vehicles that trigger P2119, P2135, P2176, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222 or P0223 fault codes can suffer from the same PCM terminal damage but also suffer from throttle body electrical connector damage. The throttle body will need to be inspected and tested using an scope or scanner looking at live data. Check the serial number on the throttle body. Replace with a revised throttle body of the serial number is below 400000. Fault codes definition:

Pedal fault codes

P2120 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error

P2122 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2123 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to battery

P2125 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error

P2127 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2128 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2138 ? Pedal sensor 1 & 2 ratio error

Throtlle body fault codes

P0120 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error

P0122 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to ground

P0123 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to battery or line break

P0220 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error

P0222 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P0223 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2135 ? Throttle position sensor ratio error

P2119 ? Throttle plate convergence error. The throttle flap has not moved to the required position. This can be from an obstruction or incorrect signal. Check wiring and connectors.

P2176 - Throttle plate adaption error. After the ignition is switched off, the throttle body will run through an adaption cycle and spring check. This confirms correct functioning of the throttle body through the full range. If other fault codes are stored, they should be investigated first before P2176.

P2100 - H bridge error. Fault in circuit between throttle body motor and PCM.

PCM fault codes

P2107 - Processor monitoring on the main controller fault

P2108 - Analogue to digital converter. This can be a number of different sensors and will often be triggered with other fault codes that are more specific. P2108 can relate to mass air flow, engine speed, pedal ratio, TPS ratio, torque generation, engine speed limitation etc.

If there is inteferance or the voltage is not regulated correctly, the signal for pedals or throttle body will be out of range

P0641 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 noisy signal

P0642 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to ground or open circuit

P0643 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to battery

P0651 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 noisy signal

P0652 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to ground or open circuit

P0653 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to battery
Old 08-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

I found that and have checked the wiring at the throttle body and they did look ok but I was checking with a torch.

Please tell me the easiest way to remove the connector from the ECU as I have read you need a special tool.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And this:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.75/2007
26 October 2007

Subject/Concern: Loss of power; Electronic accelerator control failure message displayed in the instrument cluster in conjunction with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P2135, P2119, P2176
Model:
Fiesta 2002.25 (11/2001 09/2008) Build Date: 01.08.2004-31.01.2007
Build Code: 4E-7C
Engine: 1.25L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Engine: 1.4L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Engine: 1.6L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Fusion 2002.75 (06/2002 ) Build Date: 01.08.2004-31.01.2007
Build Code: 4E-7C
Engine: 1.25L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Engine: 1.4L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Engine: 1.6L Duratec-16V (Sigma)
Markets: All
Section: 303-04
Summary

Should a customer express concern about loss of power and that the electronic accelerator control failure message is displayed in the instrument cluster, the probable cause is a contact corrosion on both, the pins within the TP sensor and the fuel charging wiring harness electrical connector, causing the following diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) to be stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

P2135: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation

P2119: Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance

P2176: Throttle Actuator Control System - Idle Position Not Learned

To rectify this concern, the electronic throttle body must be removed, a new TP sensor and a new fuel charging wiring harness with both gold plated pins should be installed.

NOTE: Due to sensitive signals the repair of the wiring harness is NOT allowed. New and old level parts must NOT be used in a combination.

NOTE: A damaged electronic throttle body and the removed fuel charging wiring harness must be returned to the Parts Recall Center via the usual send-in procedure.

Parts Required
Description Finis Code Quantity
Kit-Electronic throttle control
Kit-Electronic throttle control consists of: 1 509 254 1
Fuel Charging wiring harness 1
TP sensor 1
Screw 4
Electronic throttle body (if required) see Ford Ecat 1

Production Action
A revised TP sensor and fuel charging wiring harness has been introduced into production by 01.02.2007 (build code 7K).

Service Instruction
See Summary.

TP sensor connector - Check

1. Connect the WDS/IDS portable diagnostic unit to the vehicle and establish communication (VID the vehicle).

Confirm the vehicle details are correct.

2. NOTE: General vehicle electrical issues can have effect on other systems. Battery voltage and electrical relay issues should be rectified before this service instruction is carried out.

Check the battery voltage.

Switch on the heated rear window and the headlamps.
If the battery voltage is below 11.3 V recharge the battery and carry out a road test to verify. If the concern is still present, go to next step.

Electronic throttle body - Remove

1. Remove the electronic throttle body from the intake manifold. For additional information, refer to Fiesta 2002.25; Fusion 2002.75 Workshop Manual Section 303-04.

TP sensor - Renew

1. CAUTIONS:

Open the cover in a clean environment to make sure no contamination enters. Care must be taken when removing the cover as it is possible for a gear to fall out. Do not apply any load to the TP sensor during assembly.

TP sensor screws are installed using locking compound and could shear when removing. To prevent this, the screws should be partially removed by two or three revolutions then tightened again. If a screw shears a new throttle body (see Parts Required) must be installed.

NOTE: The damaged electronic throttle body must be returned to the Parts Recall Center via the usual send-in procedure.

Install a new TP sensor with four new screws (see Parts Required).

Tighten the screws in the sequence shown.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Above is the Ford TSB for this. Looks like the wiring harness may need to be changed
Old 08-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice and I have read these before.

The vehicle does not suffer a loss of power when driven. The only time the concern occurs is when it comes to idle.

(Would this be the same??)

I guess really if I fix the air leak in the intake (Rubber hose from PCV to inlet manifold) the vehicle struggles to idle.
Do I rectify the air leak and then resolve the low idle concern?

Just wish it would learn the throttle position!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, you could be dealing with 2 different problems.

The split hose, causing the vacuum leak, which should really cause a lean condition.

But you have a rich condition, not fixed by changing the TB or FPR. So perhaps the throttle plate is too closed, restricting air flow in?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Yes my thoughts exactly!

So just need to get the TB to relearn the idle and should all be good. Sounds simple doesn't it?

However I need to find out why it will not relearn.

Just a question here, if the throttle body has not learnt the position would that cause a low idle?
Old 08-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, poor idle conditions can definitely a result of throttle position.

Have you done the old battery disconnect for 30 mins trick? This should recent the KAM and may assist with the idle re-learn?
Old 08-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #16
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or here is the other procedure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxXM75zJOw
Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #17
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Cheers will sort the breather hoses out first then try the relearn and also the battery disconnect trick too.

Will let you know when I have sourced some hoses.

Thanks for the input
Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: P2176 and EAC in Dash

Hi DZFORD,

So new breather hose fitted and PCV valve cleaned.

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes and then started car and left to get warm. (Had to hold throttle to get it to idle)

Went through a relearn on the throttle body by disconnecting the battery again and shorting the battery cables together. Left it again for another 15 minutes.
Started the car and again would barely idle.

Went for a 18k drive in various conditions but no still would not learn.

Disconnected the 3 amp fuse for the PCM and left it for another 15 minutes and try again by, switching the ignition on and for minute and then off for 5 seconds. Still no good.

By this point I decided before shooting the PCM as a problem, let's put the original throttle body on and try again.

3 amp fuse removed for 15 minutes and then ignition on for minute and then off for 5 seconds.
Started car and it idled but not as expected. Increased rpm to approx 1500-2000 for approx 20-30 seconds and gently let the throttle go and the car idled as it should. (Excited at this point.)
Blip throttle and it was doing as it should.
Revved it again a few times and sure enough it was sweet.

Took car for approx a 10k drive and she was beauty.

What a headache this was but all sorted now and speedo worked all good.

Thanks for your input on this concern as there is so much confusion around this problem on these.

Have a great weekend

Will try and attach a screen shot of the final readings from the Forscan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (154.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great to hear that it is all sorted and that it wasn't ECU pin/wiring relayed as per the TSB.

Do you think the second hand throttle body was faulty and was throwing you off?

I can see the STFT is that Forscan screenshot and it looks appt on. I can't see the LTFT but looks like it is no longer running rich at idle?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Not sure about the throttle body??

I had been told the resistance of the motor should of been 7.3ohms but tested both and found they were both 1.8-1.9ohms so shouldn't really have been an issue and highly unlikely you get 2 with the same fault.

Yes short term fuel trim looking better and hopefully after a good drivevthey will improve too as the downstream 02 sensor still seemed rich but I put that down to the running rich and hopefully that will come good after a good run.

LTFT couldn't find on the Forscan but will try with another scanner on Tuesday (wheel bearing to do) and see what they are. By that time it will have done 80kms on the highway so should of settled down a bit.

Thanks again for your help much appreciated 😎