Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
FroudeyBrand

Default Fiesta problem - Speedo drops to Zero intermittently

Last week my wife and I brought an 2006 Ford Fiesta, within the last few days the speedo started to drop to zero for a short time before coming back to normal - very intermittently.

But today the speedo dropped and a short time later the engine cut out with the ODO showing -----. The tacho, fuel and temp gauges still worked. Once my wife had come to a stop, she turned the ignition off and then the car restarted immediately and drove as if nothing had happened.

When it happened she engaged the clutch turned the ignition off and back on and released the clutch and the engine restarted, but the speedo did not, waited a few seconds, then we drove away as if nothing had happened.

She took the car to Dubbo from Bathurst on Saturday and returned back to Bathurst yesterday no issues but today different story.

I rung Ford and was told it would cost $120 an hour to just look at it. I suspect its something to do with the Speedo Sensor but I could be wrong.
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default Re: Fiesta problem - Speedo drops to Zero intermittently

try looking for the speedo sensor on the gearbox (they do fail )
its a part that is replaced not repaired

could be a gear there or a pick up
inside that could be stripped or something simple like a loose wire

Last edited by dirty hands; 18-08-2015 at 03:28 PM.
dirty hands is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Pursya

I'm not familiar at all with this year.
But is there any way that there is a computer management program that will throw a code or two?
If so, maybe someone knows how to download and interpret these codes it may help.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

diagnostic port if any might be in the engine bay on this one

will take a while to find the correct 2006 fault list and any DIY stuff
Old 20-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
zabatron

Dont need to access the diagnostic port to read diagnostic codes on wp/wq fiesta ....Just press down and hold the trip meter reset button,and turn on ignition key to position where all red warning lights are on on the dash/instruments.Once you see the word "TEST"appear in the in information panel of instrument cluster,release the trip meter reset button and your car will be in diagnostic mode.Then continue to press and release trip meter reset button to scroll through the pages of information/tests until you see "DTC" on the information panel screen.If any diagnostic codes are present,the code(or codes) will appear below the word "DTC" on the screen.If no codes are present it will say "none'.Then record any codes that are present,and just google search them to find out what the codes relate to.To exit diagnostic mode,simply turn ignition key to off position.Above procedure can be performed with engine off or on(you can even drive car in diagnostic mode).
I know this works as I have done the above heaps of times on my WQ XR4.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Ken_AUXR8

Your story is exactly the same as mine. Bought my wife our Wq, did the same thing. ODO, random stalls, dropped speedo - everything.

Speedo sensor it was. Common fault I believe.
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
winkle

Happened to my daughter's car - speed sensor as well
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Is your vehicle manual by any chance? If so I have seen the coils interfer with the rpm signal before on this model...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post
Last week my wife and I brought an 2006 Ford Fiesta, within the last few days the speedo started to drop to zero for a short time before coming back to normal - very intermittently.

But today the speedo dropped and a short time later the engine cut out with the ODO showing -----. The tacho, fuel and temp gauges still worked. Once my wife had come to a stop, she turned the ignition off and then the car restarted immediately and drove as if nothing had happened.

When it happened she engaged the clutch turned the ignition off and back on and released the clutch and the engine restarted, but the speedo did not, waited a few seconds, then we drove away as if nothing had happened.

She took the car to Dubbo from Bathurst on Saturday and returned back to Bathurst yesterday no issues but today different story.

I rung Ford and was told it would cost $120 an hour to just look at it. I suspect its something to do with the Speedo Sensor but I could be wrong.

Hi FroudeyBrand,

Would you happen to have the part number you bought or even the link from where you bought the part from Ebay?

Found these are stupid price from Ford.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Matt
Feisty 04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
jb1212
Starter Motor

Does anyone have an update on what resolved the issue?
jb1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Ken_AUXR8

As above, speed sensor on the gearbox. Replaced that 70,000km ago, has not done it since, so definitive fix for us. Our car is a manual.

Sent from my H4133 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
jb1212
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_AUXR8 View Post
As above, speed sensor on the gearbox. Replaced that 70,000km ago, has not done it since, so definitive fix for us. Our car is a manual.

Thanks. I am having issues with my car, how can I check if this is my problem too?

Issues I get are:
* Stalling at lights sometimes
* Not holding a constant idle, going to 500 then 1900
* Driving at 60kph in 5th gear the car seems to jump a little forward sometimes then want to pull back a little sometimes
jb1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
Ken_AUXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1212 View Post
Thanks. I am having issues with my car, how can I check if this is my problem too?

Issues I get are:
* Stalling at lights sometimes
* Not holding a constant idle, going to 500 then 1900
* Driving at 60kph in 5th gear the car seems to jump a little forward sometimes then want to pull back a little sometimes
That sounds like a different issue, the Speedo sensor problem has pretty well defined symptoms.

I'm no expert but when's the last time it had its plugs changed, and a good service? Check your battery terminals and clean and tight too. Start with the basics.

Also get it scanned for any possible error codes, in my experience it can save you a lot of time and money trying to troubleshoot by process of elimination.

Old 13-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #14
jb1212
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_AUXR8 View Post
I'm no expert but when's the last time it had its plugs changed, and a good service? Check your battery terminals and clean and tight too. Start with the basics.

Also get it scanned for any possible error codes, in my experience it can save you a lot of time and money trying to troubleshoot by process of elimination.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have started a new thread on this topic - if you have a moment I would appreciate your thoughts here https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...50#post6202950
Old 13-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Feisty 04
Starter Motor

Hi,

After replacing the speedo sensor on the top of the transmission, the car has not played up again.

It maybe worth getting a generic OBD reader (ELM127 dongle & app for phone) total cost about $40. This is what I did and read the code myself.

Came up with a missing speed signal.

Now the old sensor did have coolant that leaked on to it and may have caused the issue? Repaired the leaking coolant and replaced the sensor and cleared the codes. Been driving ok since.

Speed sensor about $30 from eBay.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Feisty 04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #16
sschen
Starter Motor

Guys,

I hope it is okay to revive this old thread.

Our my 2006 Ford Fiesta WQ LX started exhibiting the same speedometer issue a few months ago, and it has progressively gotten worse. Basically, the speed on the speedometer will drop to zero intermittently (half the duration of the trip, started off being 10-20% of the trip). Apart from the speedometer not displaying the speed, there is no other issue/symptom.

Does anyone know the part number of the speed sensor?

My local mechanic said after diagnosing the issue, the speed sensor needs to be replaced. He contacted the local Ford dealer, and Ford wants $215 for the speed sensor without providing him with the part number!

So appreciate it if someone who has ordered the replacement speed sensor can provide the part number so I can buy online, instead of paying $200+ from Ford directly.
sschen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Guys,

I hope it is okay to revive this old thread.

Our my 2006 Ford Fiesta WQ LX started exhibiting the same speedometer issue a few months ago, and it has progressively gotten worse. Basically, the speed on the speedometer will drop to zero intermittently (half the duration of the trip, started off being 10-20% of the trip). Apart from the speedometer not displaying the speed, there is no other issue/symptom.

Does anyone know the part number of the speed sensor?

My local mechanic said after diagnosing the issue, the speed sensor needs to be replaced. He contacted the local Ford dealer, and Ford wants $215 for the speed sensor without providing him with the part number!

So appreciate it if someone who has ordered the replacement speed sensor can provide the part number so I can buy online, instead of paying $200+ from Ford directly.
For the auto the speed sensor is 3N217J148AA.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #18
sschen
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
For the auto the speed sensor is 3N217J148AA.
Thanks. Our car is manual.

Is it a different speed sensor for manual gearbox??
sschen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #19
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual trans sensor I believe is 98AB9E731AG. I can get them for $200 (genuine Ford) + postage if required..