Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 22-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
paul jmcl
baxrrrr8

Default gear clunk

gday, i have a o3 ba xr8 manual bought 5 weeks ago, does any one have problems with clunking between gears. rang ford they said no problem with this before. great car love the thing. :togo:

paul jmcl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All manual falcons do it , it is not the gear box it is the back lash in the diff unless it is really bad FORD will not anything about it.
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

even on the more *ahem* "Mature" falcons like EL's for example?

cant the diff be serviced or tightened?
Old 23-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FORD replaced mine with a unit of less clunk about 12 months ago and then I complained it still clunked and then they put some different oil in the diff and it has quietened it down but it still goes clunkety clunk at low speeds thru carparks etc and you can feel and hear the inside tyre skip on the road when doing a slow U turn and it did not do that with the old diff centre.
Mal Wood has a fix for the IRS verions and I assume he has a fix for the beam ones as well
Drew do you notice the noise more with the 3 pedals apposed to the 2 pedals
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
FORD replaced mine with a unit of less clunk about 12 months ago and then I complained it still clunked and then they put some different oil in the diff and it has quietened it down but it still goes clunkety clunk at low speeds thru carparks etc and you can feel and hear the inside tyre skip on the road when doing a slow U turn and it did not do that with the old diff centre.
Mal Wood has a fix for the IRS verions and I assume he has a fix for the beam ones as well
Drew do you notice the noise more with the 3 pedals apposed to the 2 pedals

yeah it was only when you put it into D with the auto but with the extra skill level now it goes clunk quite often

*sorry for the late reply*
Old 26-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Falconoath
Starter Motor

Even the old faithful AU has the clunk. Mal Wood re built my diff & this was O.K. for a while (couple of weeks) but its back to its clunking again. Ford didn't want to touch it, but they did pay for the rebuild. Not worrying about this any more, just getting on with driving my XR.
Falconoath is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post