Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

E85 From servo's is going to be very dangerous on the grounds of consistancy george.

E85 from a Drum at home on the other hand..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

the good news on E85 is that the caltex down the road from us is going to be one of the stockist. i will start testing the fuel as soon as they have it in my car and comparing it to the E85 drums we have here.
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #33
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
E85 From servo's is going to be very dangerous on the grounds of consistancy george.

E85 from a Drum at home on the other hand..

Hey Jas,

I agree, nothing beats the consistency of having a drum at home from a dedicated race fuel supplier, especially since they blend it with 98 octane and the servos will most likely use 91 for the petrol component. But, i dont see how it could be that inconsistent at servos.

My only issue would be if they start changing the blends between summer and winter (E85 and E70) like they do in the states. With E70 containing more petrol, it helps the cold start problems cars are prone to in the colder months.
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #34
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other issues is that ethanol will blend with water and E85 is likely to sit around in the tanks longer because its not as popular...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #35
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Pretty sure it was Daniel/CAT600 who mentioned that Caltex are claiming between 70-85% Ethanol Content, thats failry inconsistant and all i meant, not to mention the water issue although im sure they will be ontop of that.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Yep, the cars are going to have to be tuned on high % Ethanol fuels (Summer brew) and pull a couple of additional degrees of timing out to be safe.... so when the low % Ethanol gets manufactured in Winter, the car will run slightly richer but the timing will be still safe.

E85 is a lot more stable than people would have you believe... the 40L that was in the Terminator has been in there for 4-5 months just sitting there and after the dogbox went in on Wednesday, the car made plenty of power and no issues with detonation whatsoever..... its a very safe and resilient fuel no doubt.

Mothers milk in fact.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #37
prasac
Banned

E85 has a larger tuning window so as long as you don't run it right on the edge you will be safe, E85 doesn't care if it runs too fat. i'm not sure if E70 will be sold here in Winter it doesn't get cold enough. you can get 200L delivered to your door for around $300.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #38
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Delete Me**
Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #39
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
E85 has a larger tuning window so as long as you don't run it right on the edge you will be safe, E85 doesn't care if it runs too fat. i'm not sure if E70 will be sold here in Winter it doesn't get cold enough. you can get 200L delivered to your door for around $300.
I've gotta investigate this ... I was told $450 and i pay $50 for a 20L drum in Brisbane !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #40
05De-Badged6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
Wont the problem of an N/A XR8 be that it will be too high compression to bolt on a charger?
Just read this months motor magazine(atleast i think it was) and it had an article about the 5.0lt and FPV had dropped the compression on it to bolt on the charger and slightly changed the exhaust.
i think compression in N/A is 11.0:1 and the FPV one is 9.4#:1 i think, off the top of my head..... but i am known to be wrong on these things as i'm a layman
BPR custom tune and CAI(thanks Theo & Chris), Full RedBack zorst(6-2-1 extactors, 2 1/2" high flow Euro3 cat, twin 2 1/2" catback) = 166.7rwkw/223.5rwhp . DBA discs all 'round(Street Golds Slotted & Cross Drilled(f), Street Slotted(r), Dot 5.1 fluid, Bendix CT pads)
05De-Badged6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #41
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Not telling me anything with tuning E85, been on it since before you could even buy it mixed at 85% in Aus (I was buying E98 from Manildra in Nowra and blending it in the back shed with BP98 )... just making sure people understand that measures should be taken to correctly tune for the different blends as Caltex have confirmed in their press release months ago that it will vary the brew between 70% Ethanol content in winter through to 85% in summer.

Where are you getting it for $300 for a 205L????? we pay just under $550 landed here in West Aus which aligns closer with what Dazzler is saying.

Daniel
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #42
prasac
Banned

if they buy a flex fuel car it will change the tune for them automatically. i think in the press release they mentioned its only for FFV cars. i believe they sell the kits for non-FFV cars also.

would be silly to have a winter blend it doesn't get cold enough. all the cars i know have no probs starting on E85 even on the coldest Aussie winter days. E98 yeah but not E85.

we have good connections they may be slugging you more because ur interstate, im in NSW.

PM sent to you and Dazzler.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #43
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
if they buy a flex fuel car it will change the tune for them automatically. i think in the press release they mentioned its only for FFV cars. i believe they sell the kits for non-FFV cars also.

would be silly to have a winter blend it doesn't get cold enough. all the cars i know have no probs starting on E85 even on the coldest Aussie winter days. E98 yeah but not E85.

we have good connections they may be slugging you more because ur interstate, im in NSW.

PM sent to you and Dazzler.
PM replied... as you see I have already dealt with that supplier and freight is the killer with dangerous goods fuel grade freight.

Daniel
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #44
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
PM replied... as you see I have already dealt with that supplier and freight is the killer with dangerous goods fuel grade freight.

Daniel

yeah its not cheap, u would think they would have something sorted out for every state.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #45
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Wink

PM replied as well cheers guys ...x.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post