Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #121
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Default Re: Driving on the phone.

Google. "Hold my phone" I have these mounts in all my cars.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #122
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Anyone under 20 these days would have no idea about 8-segment LED displays, and times before SMS could be done on the phone.
7 segment displays?

I don't remember the 4 pennies thing though!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #123
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
From 2000 to 2015 I had 5 different Nokia's that just slotted into a cradle screwed to the dashboard, the cradle automatically made the phones light turn on, connected it to the external roof aerial, the charger, the mike near the sun visor, and activated the auto answer and hang up, made it totally hands free. If you wanted to make a call you could program in 9 numbers that you could call by pushing just one button. A better set up than many of todays "smartphones"
Geeze, Nokia made some good smart phones back then (Well PDA's) I had the 9210 Communicator and a few of its updated versions.
Had a proper qwerty keyboard, colour coded yearly calendar, battery would last for a week between charges and it had a whole 64mb of memory.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #124
bundy bruiser

with the rise of social media young people take it upon themselves to be updated every minute, we want it now. Doesn't really matter that they are driving on the freeway or in traffic. I caught a bloke the other day when I was riding beside a car on my bike, he drifted into my lane. When we got to the lights I bashed on his window and told him in not to pleasant words to get off his effin phone
bundy bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #125
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just reminded me of Thursday last week - when double points started.
A green P-plater in a near-new Polo was carving her way through the moderate 100km/h traffic on the M7, then seemed to just give up when she got a few cars ahead of me.
Sitting on the 100km/h speed limit, with the traffic flow, I quickly caught up to her, then she started drifting across into the left lane (my lane). She was holding a huge phone with her left hand, with just her pinkie wrapped around the steering wheel, typing a text with her right hand.
I honked her because I had to go onto the shoulder to avoid her drifting, and next thing the passenger window comes down and I get a tirade of abuse out of her!

I wish it was legal to take a photo of these fools so you could send it into the cops. Which reminds me, I see this car regularly, so I'll have to tell my HWP mate who does that area occasionally to keep an eye out.

Anyway, after about 5 minutes of this wandering and doing 80-90-100-90-100-80-90km/h in the right lane, she took off at well over 100km/h again, carving her way back through all the "spots" she'd just lost.

Not only shouldn't she be using the phone at all on green Ps, but it was double points too! The whole problem is the sense of entitlement.

It was drummed into my generation that driving is a privilege, and so is a licence. Today's young drivers treat it as a right, with no courtesy for other road users.

Just check out next time who the nice person is who lets someone through an intersection, or backs off to let the left-lane fool barge in, and doesn't honk them or abuse them for their obvious selfish move - it's usually an older person.

Likewise the fools on phones are usually young drivers - females making up a larger % of that, and tradies, who really should know better, and have bluetooth by now.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #126
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #127
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The snap back hat wearing youngsters in the VW Golf's are way over represented in 'idiotic driving' & 'text or talk' classes most days I am out & about. What does surprise me is the amount of people with children in their car driving dangerously with or without a phone.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #128
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are all wrong, it’s not just this demographic or that one, it’s EVERYONE. I drove 40 kays to my sisters house today through holiday traffic and did a survey, watching drivers around me travelling in my direction and those on the opposite direction, the driver in every third car was visibly distracted, looking down then up texting,facebooking god knows what. It was p platers, parents with kids, people in their 50s, business people in expensive cars, cars moving in traffic, stationary at lights the whole lot. I have absolutely no idea what the solution is, no one can claim ignorance to the dangers, everyone knows what they are doing.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #129
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I remember seeing this unbelievable video a little while ago showing this African American lady walk straight in front of a moving major freight train . Was she visually impaired and deaf ? ...NO .

She was bloody texting and walking apparently . Don't have to say much more .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ClUvrz-7pA...and here's a more general distracted consequences vid along the same theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPxZ1n4M-M...

There's several of these on the net as I've just found out while I was looking for the link . Not an isolated case at all although I find it hard to comprehend how you would be oblivious to a train . This freight train is not the only thing the lady missed , crossing gates and horns and flashing signals and witnesses who saw it happen ...Go figure that .

Last edited by roddy1960; 03-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #130
leesa

Personally I think this is a side effect of a bigger problem. Mobile phone/PC/tablet use has become an addiction that people can't break out of, just like alcohol and drugs. It is affecting peoples' brain chemistry, particularly kids who are growing up with that stuff. It keeps your brain 'on' constantly so you never switch off and that becomes the norm.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #131
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Everybody caught more than once using a mobile phone or whatever device should be made to watch something like this as part of the fine or suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVc9XSH7pA

Easy for me to say I realise as I actually rarely carry a phone with me unless I have to receive a call outside of hours on a security roster I volunteer on . Nine days out of ten I even forget where the phone actually is and it's usually flat when I might need it .

They (my boss) keeps hounding us to use a phone for texts as we work a lot on our own as EFA's (Education Facility Attendants) but I think she's given up on me on that because I never seem to have it with me and it's not yet mandatory.

It's great if those of us like the convenience and help they allow but especially in control of something inherently dangerous like a car it comes with grave and serious responsibility and far too many think "It'll never happen to me "

OH yeah ...It does every single day .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #132
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Personally I think this is a side effect of a bigger problem. Mobile phone/PC/tablet use has become an addiction that people can't break out of, just like alcohol and drugs. It is affecting peoples' brain chemistry, particularly kids who are growing up with that stuff. It keeps your brain 'on' constantly so you never switch off and that becomes the norm.
Agreed.

Its an epidemic.
Even reasonably sensible people can accept this is a problem yet refuse to alter the behaviour.

I'm well tired of it and I will not conform and live with constant phone interruptions and online interaction.
I've put limits in place for my youngest. Not overly harsh but already I see improvements and he's dealing with the new rules well.
Over easter my phone was switched off - 4 whole days! and it felt good. Got a bunch done, no pointless interruptions, nothing to check, might try 4 weeks next time

Edit - just wanted to add that with the kids, I feel they need to understand they are not missing out by not being connecting 24/7. In fact, show them what they are missing out on by being connected.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #133
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm predicting in 20 years time neurosurgeons will be doing far less work on the lumbar region of the patient's spine, and far more on the neck vertebrae.

2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #134
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
You are all wrong, it’s not just this demographic or that one, it’s EVERYONE.
Agree ..
If you ride a motorbike on a reasonable regular basis - i.e. you aren't participating in the madness directly as you are trying to stay upright - you'll see all demographics doing it.
Unfortunately I had to make not-nice gestures to someones grandmother who nearly sideswiped me on the bike last week while looking down at her phone.
Even after that I don't think she understood what she's done wrong.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #135
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It was drummed into my generation that driving is a privilege, and so is a licence. Today's young drivers treat it as a right, with no courtesy for other road users.

Just check out next time who the nice person is who lets someone through an intersection, or backs off to let the left-lane fool barge in, and doesn't honk them or abuse them for their obvious selfish move - it's usually an older person.

Likewise the fools on phones are usually young drivers - females making up a larger % of that, and tradies, who really should know better, and have bluetooth by now.
The older drivers I see must be going senile and are forgetting what was drummed into them.
I regularly see people aged 50+ on their phone and doing other stupid things.

I've never seen an L plater on the phone and rarely see Red p platers on the phone.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #136
.:4:.
Kicking back

In the work car at work I have the work phone on bluetooth and I screen my calls but take the important work ones, but on the weekends in the work car I only have my personal phone which i don't connect to the blue tooth. If my phone rings i dont care, I'm busy ill call back, well probably not. I took my car for a squirt yesterday and it doesn't have bluetooth so I responded 3 hours later to the not important things when I got home. I get this ethic from my dad who was in a high position for a long time and refused to get a mobile for a long time because if he was not in the office or at home he did not want to speak to you. Being in the car should be your time off really. To be fair if my manager calls and turns me around it sounds hypocritical to my rant but that's different then checking out what your mate is having for breakfast or a call from your missus trying to decide what colour she gets her toe nails painted. Information is one thing, mindless chatting is a distraction.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #137
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So over oncomming traffic drifting into my lane because there heads are in there laps. There needs to be more undercover cops out targeting this problem. And yes i agree its all ages doing it, ive seen platers right through to oldies doing it. Nothing will happen though, unless they can invent a box that automatically detects phone use and can issue fines after the fact, nobody's interested
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #138
jgmdat

Maybe technology that only allows calls to be made or answered when the car is running. Would much rather someone with a phone to their ear coming at me than a moron texting, checking bookface or reading an email.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #139
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a by gone era I had an old transit van with sliding front doors, sitting proudly on the dashboard was an old black bakelite (early type plastic) phone.... also had a mate who worked in wireless and telegraphic and able to supply me with hand pieces. There was a cassette player with big speaker and when rolling up to traffic lights, we would set the phone ringing via cassette player, pretend yaking then as lights changed yell at the driver next lane the phone call was for him and throw the hand piece. Loved seeing the look on peoples faces. Unfortunately today its a different ball game.

Last year I rear ended a small car when dippy girl slammed her brakes on 300m from intersection, I cannot prove it but swear she had been texting looked up, saw red traffic light and hit the brakes. My fault yes but caused by????

Last week I saw a road train driver (at a set of lights) hop out of his rig, walk over to the car in lane beside him, reach in, grab phone out of dippy faces hand and toss it into on-coming traffic, calmly walk back to truck and carry on...with many horn toots and thumbs up from other drivers.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #140
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

What gets me about text while driving morons is, when you call them out on it, they spray you with a load of abuse for call them out. WTF is with that?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #141
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
What gets me about text while driving morons is, when you call them out on it, they spray you with a load of abuse for call them out. WTF is with that?
That's the it's everybody else's fault generation in action
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #142
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Maybe technology that only allows calls to be made or answered when the car is running. Would much rather someone with a phone to their ear coming at me than a moron texting, checking bookface or reading an email.
This could be implemented in some way, but would be difficult to separate drivers from passengers.
The GPS unit inside the phone could detect speed, and shut off data at driving speeds - but this can be problematic in stop/start traffic, and also stops passengers using their phone.

The other way would be if the phone is in "car mode" like my one does, when it is paired with the car's bluetooth. Car mode could go beyond just changing preferences for ring tones & backlight levels, and prevent data except for maps, and only allow cellular voice calls - blocking all other forms of data.
The downside is that it would be easy to circumvent - just disconnect from bluetooth, but for the honest road users who only use it for voice calls & maps whilst driving (like I do) it would work fine, and if it could be confirmed to be in "car mode" by suspicious cops, could be looked at as a legal requirement in the future.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #143
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After driving around yesterday arvo - between lunch & school pick up times, I can agree with those who say all ages are guilty of it. I usually only travel in peak hours - hell even the 40km/h school zone was a surprise for me (I rarely see the red lights in action).

I was appalled at the number of parents, and grandparents, near a school, who couldn't keep their hands off it. Some were blatantly obvious too - one woman had her phone sitting up nice & high in a winsdscreen suction mount, scrolling a newsfeed, and another guy reading an email while queued at a crossing.

This is quite a stark comparison to what I normally witness in peak hour commuting, where the majority of older drivers don't have their phone in their hand. The demographics I normally see are mostly young people (under 25) - females more common, followed by a significant number of 25-35 year olds, and far fewer above those age brackets.

The shop & school run areas I drove through yesterday arvo showed a more even smattering of age groups, although there were very few green P-plates compared to commuting times, and less young drivers around.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #144
leesa

Quote:
The downside is that it would be easy to circumvent - just disconnect from bluetooth, but for the honest road users who only use it for voice calls & maps whilst driving (like I do)
Quote:
After driving around yesterday arvo - between lunch & school pick up times, I can agree with those who say all ages are guilty of it.

I was appalled at the number
But you're doing the same thing though. There is no honest use of a phone for maps, and it's already been spoken about in this thread that even being on a call via handsfree is still somewhat distracting to a driver. You're just as guilty as the people you're referring to.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #145
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WTF??

I have the phone in a fixed cradle, set my destination before I leave, and don't touch it.
I use voice dialling, triggered via the steering wheel button.

All of this is 100% legal.

So no, I am not "guilty" as you put it, as I am not breaking the law.

And yes, there is an honest use of maps - just like a windscreen mounted GPS unit is legal, so is using maps on you phone.

I'd suggest from your ignorance that you need to refresh your level of knowledge on road rules.

I am not touching the phone at all, nor am I reading texts or emails. Typing texts is the main problem, and the "dialling wanderer" closely follows it.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #146
leesa

Quote:
WTF??

I have the phone in a fixed cradle, set my destination before I leave, and don't touch it.
I use voice dialling, triggered via the steering wheel button.

All of this is 100% legal.

So no, I am not "guilty" as you put it, as I am not breaking the law.

And yes, there is an honest use of maps - just like a windscreen mounted GPS unit is legal, so is using maps on you phone.

I'd suggest from your ignorance that you need to refresh your level of knowledge on road rules.

I am not touching the phone at all, nor am I reading texts or emails. Typing texts is the main problem, and the "dialling wanderer" closely follows it.
That's not entirely true, it varies from state to state. GPS units are generally viewed differently than using a GPS/map function on your phone.

But this thread isn't specifically talking about what's legal and what's not, it's talking about what's distracting and it's already been acknowledged that talking on handsfree is still somewhat distracting to a driver. There's no need to get your knickers in a knot, it's just a discussion.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #147
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

....she who cast the first stone
Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #148
leesa

I haven't cast any stone. I'm just pointing out that what you're doing isn't that different from what you're criticising other people for. There are already people saying that speaking on a phone hands free is still distracting to a driver, never mind what is legal and what isn't. Why are you getting upset?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ers-claim.html

For what it's worth, I've done this myself. I also make and take calls through my car's menu system and almost had an accident in doing so. I was on a call, thought I saw a green light so I started to go but then saw it was a green arrow instead, and my light was still red. I braked but I was already 5m past my line.
All still completely legal...... and yet still I was distracted. It happens. Phones are distracting, even when used legally.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #149
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You really don't see it do you?

You fling mud at me, accusing me of being guilty.

To be guilty, one must first commit an offence.

I have not broken ANY laws, and pointed that out, suggesting you fix your ignorant views.

Then you have the hide to suggest I'm getting my knickers in a knot?

I'm glad you're not a cop, you'd shoot the innocent first & ask questions later.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #150
leesa

commodorenutt, you're overreacting. This is nuts.