Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Rare Boss 429 Crosses The Auction Block Next Month!

By Harrison Noble March 08, 2018

http://www.fordmuscle.com/news/clean...enagers-dream/

Great photo of the car:
http://cdn.fordmuscle.com/image/2018...6-1440x670.png

NOTE: There are some technical inaccuracies in the article (I'm so surprised), however, the commenters corrected those errors. So against normal practice I will include those comments at the end of the article.

Boss 429s are some of the rarest Blue Oval pony cars ever to exist, and this low-production-number example is no exception. Finished in its Royal Maroon hue, this 1969 Boss Nine wears KK no. 1390, which means its a February-built car. It was the 189th example produced, making it an ultra-low production-number model.

According to the original Mecum Auctions (where the car will cross the block next month) listing it is one of only 279 equipped with the rare 820-S NASCAR solid-lifter engine and smooth chin spoiler. The dark-red Boss 429 features a numbers-matching 429ci V8 filled with the familiar forged pistons and steel crankshaft. As if boasting low-production-numbers wasn’t enough, you can add one of 132 produced with these paint and trim options to its rarity roster.

What’s more is that the factory-installed smog pump is still installed, along with a dual-point distributor, factory exhaust manifolds and a Holley carburetor. The Boss hasn’t been tampered with much either, seeing as the 1969-specific, 3/4-inch rear sway bar and transverse mufflers are still present, only adding to the value of the one-of-a-kind ’Stang.

A unique KKX competition suspension resides under the body of the Boss and handles all of the power being transmitted from the factory four-speed manual transmission and 3.91 Traction-Lok differential. Of course, having power steering and front disc brakes doesn’t hurt either. Make no mistake folks, this Boss is sure to sell for big bucks come April 5-7 at the Mecum Auction in Houston, Texas.

My Note: This link is well worth following. A gallery of more photos.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/photos/auc...ck-next-month/

Comments:

Gary Woodruff · Sexton
Harrison just a little correction on your article about the red Boss 429,all S motor cars had hydraulic valves until KK1441 or there abouts no one knows for sure exactly the distributors were all single points. I WAS THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF KK 1349 the 26th Black Jade car built, only used it for street racing those 4:86 gears made for a lot of shifting.Of all the cars I have owned the Boss was my favorite. Gary

Steve Lovellette · Works at Self-Employed house/rolling stock maintenance...
Gary, I too was an original owner of a '69 (don't recall KK #). Mine had the hyd. cam and I switched to the mechanical version soon after purchase. Same change with the gear ratio. I also added an 850 cfm Holly, tube headers (what a job to install!) and light weight valves (NASCAR take-offs from H&M); had to cut down the dia of the intakes to fit street head.

Juanito Ibañez · Law Enforcement Instructor at Retired
While not mentioned above, the 820-S engines were also equipped with the "cross-drilled" steel crankshaft and super heavy duty 12-point, ½ inch dia. "through bolt & nut" NASCAR connecting rods, 6.549" in length -- which were omitted in the 820-T engines.

My Conclusion Notes: I am glad there were intelligent commenters to this article. Even still, not all of the differences between the T and S engines are discussed and in all honesty I couldn't rattle them all off. That said, there was a significant performance difference between the T and S versions of the BOSS 429, like about a second and a half in the 1/4. That may have been due to longevity concerns about the infamous exhaust side rockers.

I will take the liberty to note, baring the Shelby's, the appointment of this particular example ranks in my all time top 3 of Mustangs. Same exterior color as my '69 Mach I, but I had the burgundy interior.

All in all this article put a smile on my face.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 10-03-2018 at 11:21 AM.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rare Boss 429 Crosses The Auction Block Next Month!

They are a freakin cool car
Used to be a Grabber blue one cruising around Perth WA in the 80's.
Engine looks even more impressive than a Hemi
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
They are a freakin cool car
Used to be a Grabber blue one cruising around Perth WA in the 80's.
Engine looks even more impressive than a Hemi
Agree, the blue was good looking to.

The Boss 429 was a new approach at the hemi chamber design. It was a better design for the naturally aspirated gasoline burning application.

The chamber, rather than being full circle, had squish pads that not only gave the incoming air/fuel the desired squish turbulence prior to combustion, but also limited how far the initial burn kernal had to travel as the burn progress in the near TDC area. These pads contributed to the "semi-hemi" name tag. One of many name tags; shotgun for example.

Then, as far as i know it was the first twisted hemi chamber, which Ford continue to evolve for NHRA, IHRA, Mountain Motor and other Pro Stock classes. Sonny's eventually did a similar chamber for the BBC.

Anyhow, the twisted layout contributed to swirl of the intake charge during the intake cycle. Swirl helps build inertia of the intake column to aid additional cylinder filling as the piston continues one it way back toward TDC after crossing BDC, until the intake valve closes. This is a healthy contributor toward attaining volumetric efficiency levels north of 100%.

It was a great design and the only major weakness as far as naturally aspirated gasoline burning applications of the time, was the exhaust rockers which initially had a tendency to fail prematurely.

The T model came from the factory in a mild state of tune. A 428CJ would have the better of it in a street fight or grudge match at the track. If you were considered about performance numbers, the S model is the one you wanted. Unless I am mistaken Ford made the same power claims for both.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Missus & I are selling up end of year & moving out of Sydney which will enable me to buy a US built Ford. I have always wanted a big block & I am not going to buy a Mustang as they are too expensive. What I have found is, plenty of 71 Torino & 70/71 Mercury Cougars with 390's and 428 & 429 options. Can anybody tell me if the BB in these cars are basically the same as the hi-po optioned cars. I was under the impression these BB were commonly used in motorhomes & commercials. So many websites with conflicting info, it is difficult to know whats what. Is there a definitive website or publication anybody is aware of?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Missus & I are selling up end of year & moving out of Sydney which will enable me to buy a US built Ford. I have always wanted a big block & I am not going to buy a Mustang as they are too expensive. What I have found is, plenty of 71 Torino & 70/71 Mercury Cougars with 390's and 428 & 429 options. Can anybody tell me if the BB in these cars are basically the same as the hi-po optioned cars. I was under the impression these BB were commonly used in motorhomes & commercials. So many websites with conflicting info, it is difficult to know whats what. Is there a definitive website or publication anybody is aware of?
There's good information on truck based BB on the US Ford-trucks website this might clear up some conflicting information. All the best with the move and purchase.
http://ford-trucks.com/forum

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carmemories.com/ford-engi...428-429-specs/

So if this is correct, a good set of heads on a 'base' model BB & it should be putting out some decent figures. For anybody interested, Hemmings car sales or Carsales USA has so many well priced Fords from 69-73 with BBs of all types.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
http://www.carmemories.com/ford-engi...428-429-specs/

So if this is correct, a good set of heads on a 'base' model BB & it should be putting out some decent figures. For anybody interested, Hemmings car sales or Carsales USA has so many well priced Fords from 69-73 with BBs of all types.
That article has some inaccuracies. This is the worst offender:
"So Ford engineers developed a unique set of heads and placed them on a 429 Mustang in 1969. This Mustang was called the Boss 429. The head design was also used on a special 302 Mustang. That car was named the Boss 302."
The Boss 429 and Boss 302 heads were nothing alike. Nothing at all. The Boss 302 heads here similar to the Cleveland 4bbl heads with watering system changes for the Windsor block and some slight variances in valve sizes.

Off the top of my head, I would question the use of Rochester Q-J carb on the 429CJ.

Besides the 428 "P" engine the 66 AC Cobra was also supplied with the 427 side oiler rated at 425hp and IIRC set the 0 to 100 mph to 0 record that stood for a couple decades or more.

I think a fine tooth comb would uncover a few more mistakes.

I highly recommend alloy intake and heads for which ever engine, simply to get weight off the front end.

The FE series (352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) are physically smaller than the 385 series (429 and 460), yet a lot of very good aftermarket parts are avaialble including alloy Shelby blocks and stroker cranks, alloy heads and intakes.

All of them can benefit from modern camshaft profiles.

Cheers

I would question a few more things
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There's good information on truck based BB on the US Ford-trucks website this might clear up some conflicting information. All the best with the move and purchase.
http://ford-trucks.com/forum
Wow, over time you lose track of all the different combinations available.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Wow, over time you lose track of all the different combinations available.
Yes, nearly bought a Louisville 477 gasser but would have sent me broke running it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Mustang 429 leaving car show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKkds2Lhx8
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Looked and sounded good.

I wager it has the solid cam.

Cheers

Last edited by solarite_guy; 11-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes, nearly bought a Louisville 477 gasser but would have sent me broke running it.
Another one of those engines of that era with a wedge chamber build into the block with a flat cylinder head surface.

Do you have specs on that motor and the 534? I would be curious about the tq they put out.

Cheers
Old 15-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #13
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully, all going well, next year should bring one of these for my 50th birthday (midlife crisis)
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/35317611
or
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/1955410.html
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Either one of those would be great to own and underneath each have a significant amount of similarity to the Mustang of the era. The Torino being stretched and the Cougar having some other unique features.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always been a sucker for the 'hips' on our Falcon two doors, which is why I love the 71 Torino so much. I reckon its one of the nicest 70's coupes full stop.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

You are right. They are a nice looking car. I remember when I was in school, a class mate had a 302W powered '70 Torino and now a good friend has a beautiful 351C 2V powered one with a toploader. Beautiful car that has brought home some trophies. (shhhh, I hid an MSD ready to run distributor system inside and an MSD coil....)
Old 15-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can somebody answer: was the black bonnet and side stripe an option on the Boss Mustangs? Ive read the 69 boss was only available in 4 colours

My uncle had a 70 Boss 429 in Grabber Orange (i think) with the black bonnet & stripes - always loved them since a saw it.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Can somebody answer: was the black bonnet and side stripe an option on the Boss Mustangs? Ive read the 69 boss was only available in 4 colours

My uncle had a 70 Boss 429 in Grabber Orange (i think) with the black bonnet & stripes - always loved them since a saw it.
Beautiful car. I think every original Boss 302 I have seen in person was the Grabber Orange. Very similar to Parnelli Jones #16 Bud Moore prepared car.

I should preface the following sentence with "as far as I know".

The flat black bonnet and side stripe was a Mach 1 specific option.

My '69 had them. Also, the non-shaker style hood scoop. Burgundy on Burgundy with flat black bonnet, hood pins and mustard stripe. Wide ratio toploader, 3.25 rear gear, 351W. Somehow or another, it wound up with a mix of Meyer Racing and Global West suspension and steering box, Detroit Locker, ported heads, custom cam, Edelbrock dual plane, Holley 3310, Hooker Super Comps, etc. while under my care. No idea how all that happened???

My cousin had a '70 351C toploader Mach 1 in the Grabber Orange. Black interior.

I am not sure how many colours either Boss was available in. Google probably knows.

I enjoyed that car.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok it got the better of me so I consulted WIKI..

The Louvre and black Bonnet were options for 69 & 70-
but 1970 Boss had the Hockey Stick side stripes standard

no mention of what colours were available..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_302_Mustang
Old 15-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK Colours here: according to wiki

1969 BOSS 429 Model There were five different colors available in 1969 (Raven Black, Wimbledon White, Royal Maroon, Candy apple Red, and Black Jade), and the only color for the interior was black.

1970 BOSS 429 Model There were five new exterior colors (Grabber Orange, Grabber Green, Grabber Blue, Calypso Coral, and Pastel Blue) and the interior was available in black or white and black. The hood scoops for this year were all painted matte black regardless of the color of the car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_429_Mustang
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget back in the day, like here, the options list were huge and an eager salesman was happy for you to borrow his pen and go mad ticking the boxes so there is always a few cars with some unusual options around.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #22
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Ok it got the better of me so I consulted WIKI..

The Louvre and black Bonnet were options for 69 & 70-
but 1970 Boss had the Hockey Stick side stripes standard

no mention of what colours were available..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_302_Mustang
Thanks, I had to go and look at some of the pictures. Brings back memories. I recalled a friend of my dad's had a '70 Boss 302, in Grabber Orange. It had the rear louvers and wing. Both in black.

In person I have never seen a rear wing or louvers on a Boss 429. Or a flat black hood. I wouldn't gauge sales figures on my observations.

My Mach 1 didn't have the wing or louvers either, though my cousins did along with the shaker hood and the center hood stripe.

The article was a little ambiguous about the 302 vs 429 homologations. It was clear about homologating the Boss 302 engine and car/chassis for Trans-Am. To an unknowing reader, the description given about the Boss 429 could easily lead someone to believe the Boss 429 Mustang was being homologated for Nascar competition. Not the case at all. It was only the engine. The factory cars were the Torinos (Talladegas mostly) which were fitted with race versions of the S code motor.

Although, small block powered Mustangs, Camaro, Javelins, etc competed in a lower Nascar division.

The list of 1970 competitors is missing the Dodge team and I can not remember who fielded that team. They listed Penske fielding the Javelins and Bud Moore fielding the Mustangs. The left the other team owners out of their list. To finish the list:

Dan Gurney fielded the AAR 'Cudas (per the ads of the time)
Jerry Titus (Sports Car Graphic Editor and Racer) fielded the Firebirds (unfortunately died during a practice session)
Jimmy Hall (of Chaparral fame) fielded the Camaros

In 1970 the engine rules changed. No longer were the engines used in competition required to come from a production engine of 5 litres. De-stroking was now allowed. Mopars were de-stroked 340s, Camaros used de-stroked 350s, Firebird used a de-stroked 400, although the Javelins had a factory 304, I am pretty sure they de-stroked one of its bigger siblings. Only I am not sure if it was the 360, 390 or 401. Traco was the engine builder for the Penske Javelins, just as they built the Penske 302s when they raced the Camaros.

The 1969 Trans-Am racing season was arguably the most exciting racing in all of North American history. In the end, it was something like a 1 or 2 point difference with Mustangs winning more races, but Camaros winning the championship. The #2 teams drivers contributed to that swing. Not to mention Sam Posey (Camaro #2 driver in 1969) brake checking Parnelli Jones and causing damage during a critical race. Parnelli Jones beat the crap out of him after the race.

The article didn't come fully clean about the 1971 season. The author proudly declared Team Penske winning the championship. They forgot to mention no Ford factory team competed. The other teams would have been minimal factory effort if any that year.

....ooops, maybe a little bit off topic...

At this point I might as well add, a comment about different valve sizes between the 1969 vs 1970 Boss 302s. IIRC the '69s were the conventional 4V intake valve size of 2.190" and I think the exhausts were in the 1.710 range. For 1970 intake was reduced to 2.160 and exhaust 1.650. Bud Moore drastically reduced the intake port CSAs along with re-contouring. There were no rules in place about filling the ports, only enlarging them. I heard that first hand from Greg Moore (not the Australian Greg Moore who passed).

Should add too, the Boss 302 block was not as unique to all other Ford 302s as claimed by the article. It was very different compared to the run of the mill 302s, but only had some revisions compared to the previous GT blocks.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 15-03-2018 at 05:14 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://1970mgr.org/_Options.htm - options price list for 1970 stang. $65 for shaker hood scoop / $20 for spoiler.

Can only dream of such pricing today.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #24
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Boss 429 = $1200 option....wow
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why did they homologate the Boss 429 in the Mustang and not the Torino that actually raced with it?

Did they do it cause the Mustang was more likely to sell than the Torino?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #26
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Nascar had different homogation rules, and yes I tend to think it was a better sales fit from a limited run standpoint. They were working on the Boss 302. Why not a Boss 429?

From a street fighter stand point the 428CJ had it all over the T code Boss 429. That worked well in the Torino.
Old 18-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #27
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same motor, different car. Best with good headphones, enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhct8rM8EAw
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

That is a very entertaining video. Thank you.

The year 1969 was the last year of the 428CJ (FE series) and 1970 was the first year of the 429CJ (385 series). Two distinctly different engine families.

In physical outside dimensions and internal bore spacing, the FEs, in my opinion are in between a small block and a big block. Though, by and large my racing experiences are more closely tied to the Windsor family, the FEs are actually my favourite Ford engine.

The 385 series actually reminds me of the Windsor in some aspects, but they are physically BIG. They share some physical dimensions with the MEL series (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln) of engine found in the big 462 Lincolns of the middle 60s. The SCJs cam with solid cams (not sure if that applied to all SCJs) and a few other additional Hipo items.

Both engine families have some very nice performance parts available for them.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #29
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. Nice to see a owner not afraid to have some fun. It sounds nice hey?
There was also Ranchero's with the 429CJ option. Can you begin to imagine 400hp+ in a spring rear ute from the 70's? 4 speed too!
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #30
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are the utes here. There is some still some great value & some fairly important cars for sale from this Nascar dominated time. The idea of a SCJ in a Ranchero is so over the top and I reckon the claimed 375hp is a bit low, especially as the CJ was rated at 370hp....
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...T/3689401.html