Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Ms_Jam

Default LZ Focus — Oils

My LZ Focus (Trend, manual) is coming up for its 3,000 km "peace of mind" inspection.

When my Fiesta came up for this, I recall the dealer was offering to change the oil with no charge for labour, but only for the oil. In fact, if memory serves, he was recommending the oil change.

Not this time. I have read the documentation carefully, and there is no mention of any suggested oil change at the "peace of mind" inspection. However, I want an oil change, to be on the safe side.

I have two questions:

1. Approx how much should a Ford dealer charge for just an oil change at the time of the peace of mind inspection — (a) how much for labour and (b) how much for oil? Ballpark numbers are fine.

2. If I want to bring my own oil, what brand, type meet the Ford specification? (At this point I only want a mineral oil, changing to a fully synthetic at the annual service.)

Someone has told me that meeting the Ford spec exactly is more important these days than it used to be - it was claimed that non-compliant oils could be held to void the warranty in some circumstances.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
CatonaPC©

Default Re: LZ Focus — Oils

I honestly think an oil change at the 3000km 'peace of mind' inspection is not warranted. I think you'd be wasting your money. The oil used no doubt (somebody can correct me if they wish) is most likely a fully synthetic type which allows the long 15,000km service schedules. Changing to a mineral type mid-stream might not be recommended for modern engines like the 1.5 Litre Ecoboost.

I have just under 8000km on the clock on my Trend and the dipstick shows a still quite clean and translucent oil.

Stick to the maintenance schedule as recommended in the service manual and you'll be right
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Jam View Post
Someone has told me that meeting the Ford spec exactly is more important these days than it used to be - it was claimed that non-compliant oils could be held to void the warranty in some circumstances.
That 'someone' is quite correct. I can't comment for the LZ but I do know many European cars require specific type of oil to be used, and nothing else.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

My missus's new LZ titanium had a oil and filter change done at 7,500, we supplied Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30, it was the only oil on offer at the time that met fords specification WSS-M2C913-C & viscosity there may be more variety out there now though just for anyone who is looking for oil for their 1.5 ecoboosts in the future.

Im going to stick with this oil for the life of the car
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Ms_Jam

Thanks, guys.

I think I may go with Frankie86's strategy — leave the oil change until 7,500 km and then go with the fully compliant full synthetic.

I have no problem with Shell. At the very least, it should be available for the life of the vehicle.

However, any other oils that comply with the spec?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I think I may go with Frankie86's strategy — leave the oil change until 7,500 km and then go with the fully compliant full synthetic.

I have no problem with Shell. At the very least, it should be available for the life of the vehicle.

However, any other oils that comply with the spec?
Was going to get the oil done at 3,000 but was thinking would probably be better to leave in the factory run in oil till at least 7,500, no way was I going to leave it in for 15k, want to look after this thing as our intention is to keep it for quite some time, penrite are recommending HPR5 (which is a brand i quite like) but the viscosity for that was 5w-40, being o.c.d i wanted to stick with what the people who built the car recommend.

I researched everywhere for the oil (parts interpreter by trade) and Shell was the only one that ticked all the boxes for me, castrol also make a oil suitable for our focus's but only comes in a 20 Litre drum
Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
Ms_Jam

Thanks again, Frankie86.

Interesting.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie86 View Post
Was going to get the oil done at 3,000 but was thinking would probably be better to leave in the factory run in oil till at least 7,500, no way was I going to leave it in for 15k, want to look after this thing as our intention is to keep it for quite some time, penrite are recommending HPR5 (which is a brand i quite like) but the viscosity for that was 5w-40, being o.c.d i wanted to stick with what the people who built the car recommend.
Supercheap has Penrite Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-30 in 6 Litres for $65 & Valvoline Synpower FE Engine Oil 5W-30, 5 Litre for $60.
Both comply with the ford spec M2C913-B/C/D.
2018 Ford Focus SA Titanium - white (current)
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nulon supply one that meets spec now, and its an Australian company.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ful...ine_Oil/#intro
Old 21-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
CatonaPC©

Unless you are driving in hot or dusty conditions or putting your car's engine under greater stress, there is no need to deviate from the schedule outlined in the service manual.

I know for some it is a personal preference, but the reality is that modern synthetic engine oils would be just fine after 15,000km, if not more. I speak from personal experience and I can vouch that long service intervals did not do any damage to my engine.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #11
Sterling TF
Starter Motor

Short trips where the engine doesn't get to full temp are hard on engines and oil.

I used the Valvoline FE 5-30 with OEM filters in my wife's LW sport in between dealer services with no problems, from either Supercheap or Repco usually with 20-30% off on special. Will continue to use in her new Kuga.

"SynPower FE 5W-30 is a premium full synthetic engine oil designed for use in modern Ford engines with the intent to reduce exhaust emissions and improve fuel efficiency calling for Ford WSS-M2C-913-D, C, B and A. Also suitable for other passenger cars where ACEA A5/B5 or API SL/CF is recommended."
Sterling TF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Ms_Jam

My focus is coming up for its annual service.

I am a bit concerned, however, that I cannot find any Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30.

Even Ebay offers it only as an import from the UK.

Any suggestions?

I live in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.
Old 26-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
My focus is coming up for its annual service.

I am a bit concerned, however, that I cannot find any Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30.

Even Ebay offers it only as an import from the UK.

Any suggestions?

I live in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.
We've been using that since ours was new, apparently shell aren't bringing it in anymore, i stocked up on every bottle that was on sale at repco at the time so we're good for a few years. I have looked into a replacement and castrol are now making that oil with the proper specs in a 6 litre bottle, its called magnatec a5
Old 27-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
Ms_Jam

Many thanks, Frankie86.
Old 27-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #15
jase_elxr8

Make sure if you get the magnatec its the A5. I have only seen this at repco. Supercheap and autobarn weren't stocking it.
jase_elxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #16
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Yes looks like a repco only thing for the time being castrols part number is 3414419
Old 27-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
Ms_Jam

Great!

Thanks for the part no., Frankie86.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #18
Ms_Jam

Thanks, jase_elxr8.

I'll bear that in mind.
Old 29-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
GingerAle

Penrite has got special Ford Spec oils meeting the MCC912 spec.

Have ran HPR5 Full synthetic and now the 5w-30 Full synthetic. Very smooth.

Valvoline has always had the FE and Caltex Also has special ford oils.

Have tried them all and to be honest, cant really tell the difference between them, except that if i wait till the 15k kms, the engine starts running a little rough for the last couple of thousand kms before the service interval.
GingerAle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
Ms_Jam

I'm due for another service on the Focus LZ (manual).

Does anyone wish to update this information on Ford-compliant fully synthetic oils?