Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Focii

Default LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Hi All,

Just thought I'd start a thread for the new LZ models (aside from the ST) that should be coming out in October.

There are a couple of first drive impressions out so far and the specs are out on the Ford.com.au website.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...01-gjd1od.html

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-53572

Personally I am looking at getting 'Sport' as it has pretty much everything I want on it (LED DRLs and the better sound system). Also looks quite good too IMHO.

An interesting deletion from the LZ (according to specs on the ford website) is the interior ambient lighting. The interior picture on that page specifically shows them glowing, but the specs suggest it isn't on any model...weird? Can anyone confirm?

http://www.ford.com.au/cars/2015-foc...s/spec-options

Anyway, discuss away.
Focii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
wombat66

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Saw one today in a showroom. Looked really nice.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Focii

Yep, Brad Garlick Ford have a Sport in white in their showroom.

The Sport is very nice! I can't really see a reason to get the Titanium (unless you want leather seats, or you can't drive a car without many things beeping at you / parking for you).

I'm really tempted to bite now. In fact, with the glossy black grill, I think the white is probably the best colour to get.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
PeCo
Starter Motor

Checked out a silver LZ Focus Sport at City Ford Rockdale yesterday.

Positives compared to my LW Mk1 Focus Titanium with Sports Exec Pack include the new engine and transmission (I didn't test drive it but I'm assuming it is a step up), the new front end which looks good, and the new Sync 2 8" touch screen inside.

However, the interior has taken a step backwards in terms of quality and presentation. Whereas my Focus has glossy black and metallic grey finishes on the dash and doors, the LZ has mainly matt finishes which look and feel cheap. Ford has even removed the chrome surrounds on some controls making the cabinet feel more down market and plastic looking.

And Ford has also removed features from the Titanium such as the sunroof, HID headlights, static cornering lamps, heated seats and adaptive cruise control.

Seems the Focus will have trouble competing on features against others in the class, which is a shame because I think it's a great driver's car.

And BTW, the Sports does have red ambient lighting in the interior.
PeCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
WallySimmonds
Starter Motor

I test drove the Sport in the weekend and it jumped up from being a non-contender to a serious consideration very quickly.

The drive was great, very impressed. The 1.5 sounds good/is punchy and I think it steered very well - I actually had my heart set on a Golf Highline until I drove this.

However, like Peco has mentioned - the interior is a bit of a step down in general (not sure what the previous versions are like) but it seems a bit cheap inside.

For me, it's a better drivers car than the Golf is, but the Golf is still a better all rounder package if you can look past the DSG/Dieselgate issues (which admittedly is a very big consideration). The Focus is also a few thousand cheaper (I can pick one up for around 29500 for the Sport compared to 33500 for the Highline).

I'm very torn between the two. If the dealers were willing to knock the price down to about 27500 I think I would bite. As it stands at the moment (and I suspect this is to do with limited stock) I can't get this price.
WallySimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

inside look of the focus has never been the best quality/feel but usually a good pratical car
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity, do the new ones still suffer from the dreaded transmission shudder of the 2012 sports?
Interested in finding out as my 2012 has had it's second clutch.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
WallySimmonds
Starter Motor

I doubt it, because its a traditional torque converter tranmission compared to a DCT.
One of the major reasons I'm considering the car, tbh.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Focii

Yep definitely has a torque converter auto now, so no more DCT nightmares out of warranty (which definitely put me off before).

Going to take a test drive this weekend. My current Focus has been a great car (LS model)...apart from the little build quality gremlins (mostly related to coming out of the South African Ford plant). The Focus is awesome to take for a "spirited" drive!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
CatonaPC©

Just wondering where the 1.5 Litre Ecoboost engine is made. Thailand or somewhere else?
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Just wondering where the 1.5 Litre Ecoboost engine is made. Thailand or somewhere else?
'Wikepedia..A 1.5L version of the EcoBoost engine family was first unveiled in the 2014 Ford Fusion as a downsized version of the 1.6L EcoBoost engine.[17] The downsized displacement is a result of Chinese vehicle tax regulations which tax vehicles with engine displacements of 1.5L or less at lower rates. The 1.5L EcoBoost adds new technology compared to the 1.6L on which it is based, including an integrated exhaust manifold and a computer-controlled water pump clutch to decrease warm up time. In the 2014 Fusion, the engine produces 181 hp (135 kW; 184 PS)and 185-lb ft .

The engine is produced at the Craiova Engine Plant in Craiova, Romania.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E...Applications_2
Old 24-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
country focus
Country Focus

Is it true that there are no more Ambient models, only Trend,S and ST
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #13
Focii

Yep no more Ambiante :-( Ford could have easily put the 1.0 Ecoboost in it, and it would've been a cracker little base model.

Honestly, not really sure what Ford's strategy is with the Focus. They claim current Ambiante was on a small % of sales. With a decent engine and kit to compete with base models of other brands, I'm sure it would sell really well. Especially without the DCT.

Oh well, I'm after the Sport, so not really concerned. Not having it though does give the impression the Focus is more expensive (even though it really isn't).
Old 25-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Their strategy is to market the Focus as a premium product. They are targeting Golf buyers, not Hyundai buyers. They're not interested in trying to compete on price.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
PeCo
Starter Motor

But while the engineering is premium, the presentation and features are not. Downgraded interior quality is a disappointment. And no HID/LED headlights, no adaptive cruise, no heated seats, no sunroof. These are all available on the competition (and on my existing Focus)!
Old 26-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
WallySimmonds
Starter Motor

Yep, agree. I would've bought one over the Golf Highline I ended up buying if the finish was a bit nicer on the inside - they got most other things right imo.
Old 27-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
Focii

I've read in articles about the new Focus which refer to this 'Premium' strategy. But as others have mentioned above, it is kind of just marketing buzz.

Comparing a Focus Titanium to it's competitors (at this supposed Premium end of the market), the Focus is lacking all of the thing mentioned above that make it feel 'Premium'. HID Headlights and Adaptive Cruise are premium features (usually only seen on higher end cars), and Ford took them away?

I reckon the 'Premium' strategy was far more evident when the LW first came out from Germany. The perception of 'Premium' was definitely there then (i.e. Executive Pack on Titanium).

I've actually been looking at a Mazda SP25 GT as well, and it's quite a bit more 'Premium' for only a little bit more coin. Haven't test driven a Golf yet either..

I still really like the Focus, but it will be a tough decision.
Old 29-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
CatonaPC©

As a former Golf owner, I can agree that Ford are targeting this class of buyer. One area that will factor greatly in the decision of some former Golf auto transmission owners, is the inclusion in the Focus of a conventional automatic transmission. Ford dropped the Powershift gearbox of the previous model for good reason and anyone contemplating buying a Golf, simply because the Focus doesn't have 'premium features' (of negligible worth, in my opinion) would be better heeding this advice: Unless you're in the market for a manual, DON'T buy any car with a DSG and for that matter forget any car with CVTs.

The choice of vehicles in this this class with conventional autos with over 100 years of proven mechanical history now narrows appreciatively.

I chose a Focus LZ for good reason. The missus wanted an auto and after the dramas with our former Golf, the choice was a no brainer.

By the way. Adaptive cruise is available on higher spec models.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post

By the way. Adaptive cruise is available on higher spec models.

Is it available in a tech pack or something?
Old 29-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Is it available in a tech pack or something?
Hmmmm . . good question.

The owners manual refers to adaptive cruise control and describes how to activate it, but as I only have a Trend, I've assumed it is available on higher spec models like the Titanium. But the brochure does not mention adaptive cruise control for any of the models - not even the ST. Looking at the photos of the various models' interiors, they all have the same cruise control switch layout, but none have the specific switches as describe in the manual for adaptive cruise control. Conclusion: the owner manual describes a feature not available on any Focus LZ sold in Australia.

Oh well. Never mind. One can always use the speed limiting function in conjunction and the other adaptive cruise control - The lifting of the foot off the accelerator pedal. (Yeah . . . I know; you have to actually do some driving yourself - SCARY!)
Old 30-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #21
PeCo
Starter Motor

Adaptive cruise is not available on any LZ Focus in Australia. Nor are heated seats (very nice on cold winter mornings), static cornering lamps, or even a sunroof. HID headlights are only available on the ST version, but it has no auto and has other compromises if you're not "focused" (pun intended) on sports performance.

These are deal breakers for me. I've decided to keep my LW Focus Titanium with sports exec pack for the time being because the new Focus Titanium is a step backwards, but will now ultimately have to look elsewhere when it comes time to replace my car as I don't wish to lose features.
Old 30-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeCo View Post
Adaptive cruise is not available on any LZ Focus in Australia.
There is an option for Active City Stop which would seem to use the same technology adaptive cruise control would use. So, it seems bizarre it is omitted when the owner's manual describes how to set it.

I can understand how 'upgrading' to an LZ for some owners of the LW might be a step backwards.
Old 21-11-2015, 03:22 AM   #23
Focii

Something interesting I've noticed is that the Trend Hatch and Trend Sedan have different tyres fitted. The Hatch has Michelin tyres, and the Sedans have Dunlop tyres. The alloys seems to be exactly the same (look and size wise), so it's weird they'd use a different tyre.

I noticed this at a dealer, and then checked on Carsales and it seems to be consistent.

I wonder why Ford are doing this?
Old 21-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Focii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post
The Hatch has Michelin tyres, and the Sedans have Dunlop tyres.
Correction Post: The Sedan has Goodyear tyres, and Hatch Michelin.
Old 21-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Any thoughts on the practicality of the optional paddle shifters yet?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #26
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post
Something interesting I've noticed is that the Trend Hatch and Trend Sedan have different tyres fitted. The Hatch has Michelin tyres, and the Sedans have Dunlop tyres. The alloys seems to be exactly the same (look and size wise), so it's weird they'd use a different tyre.

I noticed this at a dealer, and then checked on Carsales and it seems to be consistent.

I wonder why Ford are doing this?
Are the sedans built in Thailand? I ask this because when I test drove one, the steering wheel control for the trip computer was on the right. On my Trend hatch it is on the left.

If the sedan is not built in Thailand, then that might explain the tyre discrepancy. I'm just guessing though.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #27
PeCo
Starter Motor

I note that adaptive cruise control and HID headlights are standard on the new Focus Titanium in New Zealand. What was Ford Australia thinking when it deleted them from the Aus Focus Titanium?
Old 27-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #28
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeCo View Post
I note that adaptive cruise control and HID headlights are standard on the new Focus Titanium in New Zealand. What was Ford Australia thinking when it deleted them from the Aus Focus Titanium?

Damn. I didn't believe you so I downloaded the brochure.

What a bonehead decision by Ford Aus. Adaptive cruise is brilliant. If I was looking at two models and one had it and one didn't, it would be an easy decision. Xenons are nice but don't do much for me, but they do add some prestige.
Old 27-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #29
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Both are optional in Australia with the Sports Executive Pack.. There must be a reason for it??
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #30
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Both are optional in Australia with the Sports Executive Pack.. There must be a reason for it??

There is no info on this on the website and it's not listed as an option anywhere I can see.