Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
lamborghinifan

Default Car nearly plunges off edge of multi-level carpark at Mater Hospital in Brisbane- Oops

Emergency services said people could have been seriously injured when a car almost plunged off a multi-level carpark at Brisbane's Mater Hospital yesterday.

Police said the car was almost driven off the sixth storey of the hospital's private carpark when the driver accidentally accelerated forward at speed.

Police Inspector Dan Bragg said the car was balancing dangerously on the edge, and could have toppled onto a building below where dozens of hospital staff were working.

"The motorist was endeavouring to park his car on the sixth floor of the carpark when he inadvertently hit his accelerator, and the vehicle careered through the fencing of the carpark and was left teetering over the edge," he said.

"The vehicle posed an immediate threat to the workers in the building below. It was evacuated and firefighters and a tow truck arrived to winch the vehicle back to safety."

Inspector Bragg said it could have potentially been an extremely serious accident.

"If it had gone over the edge one more foot or perhaps even inches, this car would have plunged six storeys into a building full of people," he said.
"The driver was in shock and I think he should go out and buy himself a lotto ticket.

"He came very close to a disastrous situation that could have resulted in death to himself and many other people."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-1...isbane/8365962

I Would say the poor falcon beat the fence in this case!
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Car nearly plunges off edge of multi-level carpark at Mater Hospital in Brisbane- Oops

Is that colour 'edge'
Old 18-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Car nearly plunges off edge of multi-level carpark at Mater Hospital in Brisbane- Oops

Maybe the building owner should invest in something more solid considering the falcon doesn't appear to have too much panel damage. Under carriage maybe, but the fence doesn't look too sturdy considering it's 6 floors up.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

At least it would be a short trip to hospital!

(OK I shoudn't joke. That could have been a very nasty incident indeed)

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very lucky but it would seem obvious to me that fencing is sub standard.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Very lucky but it would seem obvious to me that fencing is sub standard.
As unfortunate as it is, firstly the guy made a blue, but the way society now works is someone is always liable. Problem being it get turned around from being his fault to the fences fault for being under par. From a safety standpoint I'd be less concerned had the car had a solid frontal impact and ended up in such a situation. Considering the low value insurance companies put on the b series, I doubt it will even be a stat write off.
Old 18-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
As unfortunate as it is, firstly the guy made a blue, but the way society now works is someone is always liable. Problem being it get turned around from being his fault to the fences fault for being under par. From a safety standpoint I'd be less concerned had the car had a solid frontal impact and ended up in such a situation. Considering the low value insurance companies put on the b series, I doubt it will even be a stat write off.
The car still looks pretty good, but who knows how much damage is underneath now. Having the front wheels having over the edge certainly wouldn't have done the undercarriage much good!

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
The car still looks pretty good, but who knows how much damage is underneath now. Having the front wheels having over the edge certainly wouldn't have done the undercarriage much good!
I did make reference to the underside previously, the gearbox pan probably isn't load rated.
Old 21-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #9
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

That fencing is not rated for cars. Concrete ones are but not that sheeting handrail type jobbie. Only designed to keep people from falling through it. Underside of the car will be looking a bit scuffed up but that car should be fine for many many more miles yet!

I bet the owner of the carpark will be looking at changing the fences as these may fall below todays standards to avoid major fines however it may be too late considering.

On another note, if that was a fwd crapbox in the form that makes up 90% of new cars these days, it would be (probably too short) and nose heavy and it would have done a graceful nose dive straight into the heads of a few office workers.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Jesus Christ!

After all these years, the FPV twisties still look good!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
On another note, if that was a fwd crapbox in the form that makes up 90% of new cars these days, it would be (probably too short) and nose heavy and it would have done a graceful nose dive straight into the heads of a few office workers.
Well done you managed to throw in another irrelevant dig.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Well done you managed to throw in another irrelevant dig.
Any chance I get good sir

It's not far fetched however as fwd models will be nose heavy.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 21-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody Ford drivers always trying to take a shortcut
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did not know that Falcons had Air Brakes.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Is that colour 'edge'
I think a strong "BREEZE" may have caused it.

Sorry for the bad Dad Joke in advance
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Kicking back

Back when I was was 17 at the local tennis court an elderly lady mashed the accelerator as opposed to the brake and mowed down a kid. Nothing more then a fence and some bruises. My mates mum was adimant that it wouldn't have happened if it was a manual. I beg to differ in that scenario. An auto has a bigger brake padal. The accelerometer is the same size in an auto. Obviously the car was still rolling. Idling the fence would have created enough resistance to stop the car without accelerator input.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
It's not far fetched however as fwd models will be nose heavy.
Good thing there's no way a straight six four-litre cast-iron block motor would be front heavy, yeah, yeah
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Good thing there's no way a straight six four-litre cast-iron block motor would be front heavy, yeah, yeah
Ahh thats right, barras were even heavier than the old intechs.
The point i was getting at was maybe would not have ended so well if the car was a hatchback, anything with a shorter wheelbase which would put the pivot point further forward.
And i added a good stab towards FWD's for good measure.

Subaru Outback '02