Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Funkpirata
Starter Motor

Default Seeking a solid mechanic in Melbourne

Hi,

Around a year ago I drove down to Melbourne from Brisbane to live with a family member as personal life had hit the fan. I drove down in my dad's old econovan with all my stuff in the back. Not long after I got here someone stole my vehicle from North Melbourne. I was lucky enough to be driving with a friend through Flemington a few weeks later and saw the vehicle parked in a side street. It started and ran fine but the person has broken something in the gearbox and damaged the linkages so I can't even get it into neutral. I got it towed to my place where it has been sitting there for months now.

I've been trying to get the money together to repair it which is not easy on my current income. I'm now trying to find a good mechanic to do the repairs who is trustworthy and honest as I really need a break and can't afford to be screwed around as I have in the past. Unfortunately since it's not drivable I'll need to get it towed to the place to even find out what's broken and what it's going to cost to repair so I have been trying to suss out someone good in the area.

It's a pretty old vehicle and under normal circumstances would be a write off probably but I have personal reasons for valuing this van. I drove to Sydney with my old man at 6 years old in a bombed out old Datsun to buy it new, and we went on to have many camping holidays as kids in it, so it has personal value. If anyone can point me in the direction of someone trustworthy to do the repairs it would be an absolute life saver.

Cheers
Funkpirata is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Seeking a solid mechanic in Melbourne

I have had very good service from my all round mechanic service centre. It's Waverley Service Centre, a bit away from you but you can be guaranteed not to be ripped off. Maybe call them first and discuss your issues and see what they say. Ask to speak to Con for technical issues.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

A "solid mechanic"; so something like this then?:

Or perhaps one of the caste of Fat and Furious.

Last edited by aussiblue; 13-03-2017 at 10:36 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Funkpirata
Starter Motor

Sorry for the late reply life has been crazy lately.

@T3rminator

Thanks heaps for the steer I'll give them a call

@aussiblue

That's gold. She looks like something out of red dwarf :-)
Funkpirata is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post