Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Kia Stinger: ‘a modern Gran Turismo’ inspired by Maserati

Quote:
Kia Stinger pricing and positioning crucial for success, says local division

by David Zalstein
Journalist
4 days ago

The much-anticipated Kia Stinger is due to arrive in local showrooms later this year, but Kia Australia says the model’s success is far from guaranteed.

Speaking with Australian media ahead of the kick-off for this week’s 2017 Geneva motor show, Kia Australia chief operating officer Damien Meredith, said care needs to be taken to ensure the sports-slanted ‘saloon liftback’ succeeds on the Australian market.

“I think we’ve got to be really, really careful how we position [Stinger],” Meredith said.

“One of our foundations is value for money. Now, we think we make great cars, and I think we do make great cars, but we’ve got to make sure that they’re priced accordingly that we get critical mass.

“I think how we position Stinger will give it the direction over the next five-to-ten years. Specifically, we think that, whilst unfortunately Commodore and Falcon are disappearing (as rear-wheel-drive locally-manufactured cars), we don’t think the market’s disappearing.

“Therefore, if we can fill that pool that’s left empty, we believe that Stinger can be relatively successful. Now, that depends on positioning, that depends on pricing, that depends on a lot of things, so again, we’ve got to be really careful how we position it and price it to fill that pool.”

2017 KIA Stinger - GT38 US Spec

Although Meredith is quick to acknowledge the notable slump in large car sales in recent times – last year alone, sales were down more than 10 per cent on 2015, and down 60 per cent compared with 2010 – the local head still sees opportunity in the segment.

“That’s fair enough. But if there’s a 40,000-unit market in Australia, and you get 10 per cent of that, that’s 4000 cars a year. And just using that as an example, if you get 10 per cent of that 40,000-unit segment, to me, that’s success.

“That’s the way you’ve got to look at it. You’ve got to make decisions for the medium- and long-haul, you just can’t say, ‘Well, that’s not working, don’t enter that market’.

“I think we’ve been relatively smart and relatively brave in some areas with what we’ve done to enter segments… I think Picanto is a good example of that, I think Stinger will also be a good example of that.

“Using that 40,000-unit market as an example, if we get 10 per cent of that, I think we’d all be happy with that. So, we’re confident that it can be a success, if we get the positioning correct and we get the pricing correct.”

While final pricing and specifications for Australia are still yet to be finalised and announced, two powerplants will be offered in the rear-wheel-drive Commodore- and Falcon-hunting Stinger, with both the 190kW/353Nm turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder and 272kW/510Nm twin-turbocharged 3.3-litre V6 to reach local shores.

That said, Meredith is more than aware of how fine the pricing balance can be, particularly in a market as competitive as Australia.

“[Hypothetically], if the 2.0-litre was $40,000 and the 3.3-litre was $60,000, I know which [one would be the volume seller]. However, if it was $45,000 [versus] $55,000, well… And if it was $43,000 [versus] $50,000, it changes the dynamic quite significantly. So, we don’t know at this point in time.”

Seeing a deeper chord for the Stinger to strike, Kia Motors Australia media and corporate communications general manager Kevin Hepworth added that “engines are probably not going to be the biggest questions”.

“It’s the rear-wheel drive that’s what’s going to offer what the market doesn’t have anymore,” Hepworth said.

“For 40 years Ford and Holden have been doing the preliminary work saying that, ‘If you want to drive a ‘real’ car, it’s got to be a rear-wheel-drive car’. Well, okay, we’ve got one. Do you?

“That’s where, we’re hoping, a lot of the interest will come from, from people who have grown up with those cars, want those cars, and don’t want to pay $80,000-$90,000 for a rear-wheel-drive European car. There’s an opening there somewhere. There’s a big hole.”

So how much interest has the Stinger already sparked? Kia Australia reckons pre-sold numbers are growing, while ‘warm/hot’ dealer enquiries are “in the 400s already”.

“So, we’re pretty happy with that,” said Meredith.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/530037/k...ocal-division/

Quote:
Kia Stinger: ‘a modern Gran Turismo’ inspired by Maserati

by David Zalstein
Journalist
1 days ago

Apart from being “probably the sportiest production car” Kia’s chief designer has ever penned, Gregory Guillaume says the Kia Stinger is also very much a modern interpretation of iconic Gran Turismo models from the 1970s.

Speaking to Australian media at the Geneva motor show this week, Guillaume said that while building a traditional, two-door sports car would be a fun project, he’s smitten with the four-door, rear-drive Kia Stinger.

“Sure, [a ‘proper’ sports car] would be great,” Guillaume said. “But if you had told me seven years ago, ‘Gregory, you’re going to be launching in Geneva a four-door coupe for Kia,’ I would’ve said, ‘You’re kidding’.

“I’m very, very happy we got the chance to work on something like [the Stinger]. It’s probably the sportiest production car I’ve done in my whole career – and I’ve worked a long time before that at Audi and Volkswagen, and God knows how many proposals of coupes I’ve done that just don’t make it.

“And the one that makes it, is at Kia. I mean, how cool is that?”

Calling out practicality and rear passenger space as key reasons the South Korean brand opted to make the Stinger a large car over a mid-sized BMW 3 Series rival, Guillaume said the original Kia GT concept – shown at the 2011 Frankfurt motor show – was born out of a single question.

“That concept car was just the result of a question that we were asked by the headquarters: If we were going to go into a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive car in that segment, in that size, what should Kia do?

“And the reference in that segment worldwide is 3 Series BMW – everybody wants to beat that. But we said from the start, we actually don’t believe that’s what Kia should be doing. We thought, with us, it should be more about style and a car that’s more dynamic looking, and we started to go for this modern interpretation of a Gran Turismo.

“I always had in mind iconic GTs of the early 1970s [with] elegance. Sure, power and speed, but this Italian Gran Turismo. I had in mind one car always: it was the original, the very first Maserati Ghibli. The car has raw power and it’s fast, but that’s not what it’s about. It’s elegance. It’s style.”

Maserati Ghibli

Guillaume says, growing up in France, legends like that first Ghibli were the ones he expected to see on the motorways, cruising from Paris to Saint-Tropez. “Work hard in Paris, go and have fun in the Cote d’Azur.”

“We were looking for the modern interpretation of that. So, yes, Gran Turismo is about the long journey – yes, spirited driving – but it’s the long journey. You need comfort, you need style. So that’s why we went for that car, which has a much longer wheelbase than a 3 Series – or any car in that segment actually – because you give the occupants space.

“And automatically, if you make those choices, you’re not going to be as competitive in handling as a four-door much more compact solution like a 3 Series, but that was the choice we made. And we thought that was the right thing for us to do.”

“But it is damn fast,” he adds, as though the Stinger’s design and packaging needed any further justification.

The Kia Stinger is due to arrive locally later this year, with prices tipped to range between $40k-$50k for the 190kW/353Nm turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder and 272kW/510Nm twin-turbocharged 3.3-litre V6 engine options.

That said, Kia Australia has made clear that it fully understands just how crucial final pricing and positioning will be for the potentially Commodore-killing model.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/531240/k...d-by-maserati/

Quote:
Photos from Drive.com.au

10 March 2017

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2...10-guv9kb.html

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Kia Stinger: ‘a modern Gran Turismo’ inspired by Maserati

I reckon they'll do well from this model.

THIS

“It’s the rear-wheel drive that’s what’s going to offer what the market doesn’t have anymore,” Hepworth said.

“For 40 years Ford and Holden have been doing the preliminary work saying that, ‘If you want to drive a ‘real’ car, it’s got to be a rear-wheel-drive car’. Well, okay, we’ve got one. Do you?

“That’s where, we’re hoping, a lot of the interest will come from, from people who have grown up with those cars, want those cars, and don’t want to pay $80,000-$90,000 for a rear-wheel-drive European car. There’s an opening there somewhere. There’s a big hole.”

Needs manual though in it's line up if you want to aim at "enthusiasts"
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I will be giving this a serious look when next-car-time arrives, along with Focus ST and Mustang 5.0

I hope they don't price the V6 too steeply - it's a Kia, not a Beemer, so I'm not paying Beemer money. They need to understand that to make it a sales success.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Maserati came to my mind too, not the old ones though...the newer sedans.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I will be giving this a serious look when next-car-time arrives, along with Focus ST and Mustang 5.0

I hope they don't price the V6 too steeply - it's a Kia, not a Beemer, so I'm not paying Beemer money. They need to understand that to make it a sales success.
The rest of the cars they sell here are very competitive in their pricing so I don't see them abandoning that strategy and the 7 year warranty!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
g650

Looks great apart from the chrome highlights IMO. Doesn't have to be the fastest, if it's cheaper and rides better than the Germans it should sell well.
g650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only thing I don't like is no manual. I reckon if they price it around under $60k it will be a no brainer for a lot of people.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great & RWD
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have given this car a very series look & compared it to Mustang as my next car, but no manual means it 110% off the table... Like serious, could buys, let alone builds a RWD cars sport & then stuffs it up completely by getting auto!!!

I work in the Kia building in Sydney & there is someone in the Kia office driving one as I see it in the car park under the building as I drive in.. I must go look at it one day..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Sub $40,000 or they are wasting their time, in MY opinion.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
I would have given this car a very series look & compared it to Mustang as my next car, but no manual means it 110% off the table... Like serious, could buys, let alone builds a RWD cars sport & then stuffs it up completely by getting auto!!!

I work in the Kia building in Sydney & there is someone in the Kia office driving one as I see it in the car park under the building as I drive in.. I must go look at it one day..
And take photos
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Peterwl

I am waiting for this car to arrive on Australian shores. I would be happy with the 2 litre turbo. It should be a sub $40 K car.

On paper it looks good !

If I were a Holden marketing exec in Australia, this is the car I would be worried about.

The Commodore will be an "east west" motor, non turbo. It will compete with Toyota Camry class cars !

If pricing is sensible, it could be Australias future top seller ( if volume is available ).

I will not wait 6 months for any car ( unless its free ) !

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
speedy
Starter Motor

Good work Kia

..no more rear drive Falcon or Commodores,, seems smart move hehe!

looks impressive and as others have said, priced right, I could be in market for one in future.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else think the range should be N/A V6 as base, V6TT mid spec & V8 the top?

I just wondering how well the 2.0 will go when you consider the EcoBoost Falcons sales.

They really need a V8 if they want to chase the SS Commodore type people as customers.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

So they spent all that money designing the car, but too cheap to redesign that awful badge. The kia badge looks like something from the reject shop. Change it and they are on a winner
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Does anyone else think the range should be N/A V6 as base, V6TT mid spec & V8 the top?

I just wondering how well the 2.0 will go when you consider the EcoBoost Falcons sales.

They really need a V8 if they want to chase the SS Commodore type people as customers.
I get what your saying but the Falcon EcoBoost sales were artificially hampered.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #17
Peterwl

Kia Stinger weight ?

I have just done some searching on the net, and come up with 2 different figures.

Wheels Magazine estimate 1770 KG ?

USA Figure 1600 to 1700 KG ?

Here is me thinking this will be a 1450 to 1500 KG class car !
The 2 litre would be more than enough with that weight.

If this car is as heavy as these figures suggest, you may need the torque of the V6 to shift this "weight" with any authority / urgency.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #18
Chopped
as in chopped

I think as long as it hits 100kph in the 5-6 second bracket it will be quick enough for most.
I also think it will be priced from 45k - 65k depending on the engine spec.

KIA have some of the better looking cars on the road imo, so models like this will certainly help the all important street/badge cred with buyers.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #19
XBv8mmm!

I think it looks pretty good. Even has a "T" bar auto.
Wonder where the hand brake is?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #20
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Sub $40,000 or they are wasting their time, in MY opinion.
Amen, $45k tops for the V6 or it'll be a flop just like the $37k C'eed GT or the $86k Top of the line Genesis.

What's the go with the T-Bar gear lever though, reminds me of an XE Falcon.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the design just isn't going to age well at all, especially the rear?

Bets on it being 6.1 secs 0-100, 14.2 quarter mile
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #21
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post

To emulate the Aussie built cars we're losing, because they wouldn't sell?
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #22
richzx

I think this is a great looking car somewhat reminiscent of at Audi A5 sportback in styling and should be a real winner if it's not too heavy to blunt the engine power. I would definitely consider buying one. I hope the ecu can be cracked by aftermarket tuners.
richzx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #23
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
So they spent all that money designing the car, but too cheap to redesign that awful badge. The kia badge looks like something from the reject shop. Change it and they are on a winner
Agree with this.

Sounds like a simple thing but Kia needs to shake off the old cheap and cheerful image totally... and changing that badge to something stylized like the Mazda badge would be a smart move I think.

It's nice looking and sounds like a fun Falcon replacement for company fleets but really really tough for me to get past that awful badge all over it.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
Danny
GT4.

It would be as simple as using the badge they use in Korea for the Aussie delivered cars.

Blackened badging for the "sportier" vehicles.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
It would be as simple as using the badge they use in Korea for the Aussie delivered cars.

Blackened badging for the "sportier" vehicles.
Now we're talkin. Not particularly impressive but its a step up, no worse than a Toyota or Lexus badge.. The current badge looks like it an atrocity designed in communist North Korea. I'm surprised Mr Schreyer the designer they poached from Audi didn't vomit from looking at that horrible badge and insist it be changed.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 12-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I also agree with the above.

Its a good looking car, Kia know they cant over charge, a manual would seal the deal for sporty intentions.

The winds of change....we need a Mondeo ST.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Isn't it the exact same body as the optima ?
They look ok.
Not sure who the target market would be though. Will be interesting to see.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Dangerous territory when we are talking about the shortcomings of Kia's badge...when its a name in an coloured oval just like some other, respected, badges...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #29
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Dangerous territory when we are talking about the shortcomings of Kia's badge...when its a name in an coloured oval just like some other, respected, badges...
More familiar maybe but not really more "respected"....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Too bad they aren't fitting the tau v8 to it. Would be ideal.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: