Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Murder- Suicide on our roads

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lls-woman.html
and http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...al-perth-crash

Makes you think there might be circumstances where the death penalty should still apply.
Old 20-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Murder- Suicide on our roads

Yep.

What is completely hidden by the govt and on a VERY rare occasion was admitted by the Victorian coroner was that HALF of all single vehicle fatalities are suicides!

No anti speeding campaign can stop that.

Happens all the time.
A few years ago there was a terrible case of a woman doing 150 or so down the wrong side of the freeway near Lara (near Geelong) and killing 4 young people.

Another one a couple of years ago around Point Cook did the same.

These articles show it for what it is.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wr...207-2b1u7.html

Although this quote following is absolutely weak. Call a spade a spade!

Over the past decade at least six other motorists have been killed by vehicles driving on the wrong side of the busy stretch of highway between Melbourne and Geelong.

''They are sometimes foreigners or tourists coming from overseas or they just make a mistake,'' Sergeant Willsmore said.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-0...ection/6679380

Another.

Why cant they just drive into a tree like the 50% of single car fatalities?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I've had a few cars come at me on the wrong side of double white lines (seems to be much more common in recent years although I do much less country miles now) but they all appeared to be selfish bullies (I can think of many more better adjectives but the potty word filter will catch them) just happy to force me off the road and not actually focussed on hitting and killing me.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why cant they just drive into a tree like the 50% of single car fatalities?
Agreed.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It's still the most disturbing video I have seen this year.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Apparently the driver was high on meth.

Absolute waste of oxygen. Should've been aborted.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Xtreme PaintworX

bloody oath mate^
Xtreme PaintworX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More common than most realise, the ones that really want to go they target trucks for obvious reasons.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

These are the sort I usually see http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11803979 I wonder if they were on holiday from WA.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I've had a few cars come at me on the wrong side of double white lines (seems to be much more common in recent years although I do much less country miles now) but they all appeared to be selfish bullies (I can think of many more better adjectives but the potty word filter will catch them) just happy to force me off the road and not actually focussed on hitting and killing me.
I've had more than my fair share of morons on the wrong side of the road approaching me .. smiling 'cos they are in some SUV or some such and that I'll move .. until they realise that I'm driving a LHD car and unless they think they are going to hit me head on, then I'm less intimidated than I might be ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Very tragic indeed, yet some one will come up with an excuse as why the perpetrator was not his normal self & blame some other event for his actions, capital punishment is too good, hard labour for rest of his life.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Tiger57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
More common than most realise, the ones that really want to go they target trucks for obvious reasons.
That is the most selfish act. Involving some innocent Driver, be it Car, Truck or Train, in their suicide.
Tiger57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Makes you think there might be circumstances where the death penalty should still apply.

This link shows a little more of the lead up to the collision.

http://www.news.com.au/national/west...aign=editorial

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's screwed up...low life POS scum should have been strung up from the nearest tree, not taken to hospital.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Been there, done that, tends to bugger up your whole timetable for the night.
Old 20-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This hits close to home. An old girlfriend of mine who I've remained good friends with lost both her parents to a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road. Both of them were killed instantly, of course he survived. I was there when the police came to the door and the scream she let out has never left me. At the age of 22 she was on her own.

That's the side of things I don't think we always fully comprehend. Sure people died, but countless others lose a mum, dad, grandfather or grandmother, friend, colleague, the list goes on. I often look at the road toll and think if each one of those people know let's say 25 people (very conservative) and 28 people have died in Victoria alone this year that's 700 people who have lost someone they know and love.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

It's ok. The Landcruiser driver is alive. He was rushed to hospital and doctors are working on keeping him alive. Even though he wants to die. He will probably pull through, and cost tax payers millions for his court costs and jail time.

Meanwhile, an innocent 62 yr old woman is dead.

Justice.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
Tobe404

So very sad indeed.

I do wonder how long it'll be before the 'mental' defense comes into play here.
Seems to be happening far too often these days.
Tobe404 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
This hits close to home. An old girlfriend of mine who I've remained good friends with lost both her parents to a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road. Both of them were killed instantly, of course he survived. I was there when the police came to the door and the scream she let out has never left me. At the age of 22 she was on her own.

That's the side of things I don't think we always fully comprehend. Sure people died, but countless others lose a mum, dad, grandfather or grandmother, friend, colleague, the list goes on. I often look at the road toll and think if each one of those people know let's say 25 people (very conservative) and 28 people have died in Victoria alone this year that's 700 people who have lost someone they know and love.
Similar here, my mrs lost her mum at age 12 to a guy on drugs and alcohol, he survived, she was left without parents as her dad died of cancer when she was 3.
When I see people drive like idiots especially young p platers I just wish I could wrap a tyre iron around their knee caps so by the time they can drive again they have a bit more life experience and realise so much more is at stake when you drive.

Sent from my Blade S6 using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Death penalty is too easy for these scumbags, they need to suffer for their punishment.
I don't care how medieval or deranged it sounds, some people deserve it. Anyone who goes out of their way to injure random innocent people deserve it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #22
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What some of you have to have to understand (and this is by no means any excuse at all) is that if someone is in such a state of mind that they deem suicide as an option to end things, they don't really care about themselves let alone anyone else on the planet.

Being suicidal basically means you are suffering from a severe mental illness which also means you have probably lost any form of thinking about things in any logical manner etc. The fact that the bloke suffered from a mental illness is probably why he was drunk or on meth so it's not like this was the only reason for his actions. Yes it is the easy way out and no one should ever have to contemplate this.

It's easy to step back and say the bloke should of/could have done things differently but for him I doubt anything mattered at the time and I don't think he should be crucified for trying to "end things" like he did for the above reasons.

Once again by no means are his actions excusable in any way and it is very unfortunate that other innocent people had to suffer from his actions.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last year, an elderly lady who lived not far from me got a lift into town then managed to walk up to almost the crest on the highway.
She had been fighting cancer and various other ailments and had simply had enough.
As a truck came over the crest she just walked out.
She looked at the driver and mouthed 'sorry.'
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #24
katefactor

Very disappointing to see the actual point of impact on the local news tonight, no respect for the family at all just disgraceful

Current Rides
2013 PX Ranger, GT F, Patrol F/Tray
Previous
XB GS Panel Van ( first Car), XA GT Coupe, XA GT sedan, XA superbird coupe, XY GT, XB GT sedan, A9X Sedan (should have kept that one)
katefactor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl View Post
It's easy to step back and say the bloke should of/could have done things differently but for him I doubt anything mattered at the time and I don't think he should be crucified for trying to "end things" like he did for the above reasons.
If he wanted to end things, he could have done so alone. The vast majority of suicides are committed in that fashion. He made a conscious effort to hurt others, in the same way some nutter goes on a rampage with a gun. I'm not sure why mental illness should afford him any sympathy.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Death is what he wants.

Much better punishment to keep him alive on suicide watch and in a cell with a gay bubba.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
What some of you have to have to understand (and this is by no means any excuse at all) is that if someone is in such a state of mind that they deem suicide as an option to end things, they don't really care about themselves let alone anyone else on the planet.

Being suicidal basically means you are suffering from a severe mental illness which also means you have probably lost any form of thinking about things in any logical manner etc. The fact that the bloke suffered from a mental illness is probably why he was drunk or on meth so it's not like this was the only reason for his actions. Yes it is the easy way out and no one should ever have to contemplate this.

Once again by no means are his actions excusable in any way and it is very unfortunate that other innocent people had to suffer from his actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
If he wanted to end things, he could have done so alone. The vast majority of suicides are committed in that fashion. He made a conscious effort to hurt others, in the same way some nutter goes on a rampage with a gun. I'm not sure why mental illness should afford him any sympathy.
I was going to post something along the lines of ea90gl yesterday and was expecting the response posted by b0son from others so I deleted it. Only going to say two things.

One - A lot of people have NO idea what it's like to live with a mental illness. I'm NOT defending the actions of the driver in the video, he deserves punishment.

Two - It is probably the worst video I have seen so far this year.
Old 21-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #28
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSneakiness View Post
I was going to post something along the lines of ea90gl yesterday and was expecting the response posted by b0son from others so I deleted it. Only going to say two things.

One - A lot of people have NO idea what it's like to live with a mental illness. I'm NOT defending the actions of the driver in the video, he deserves punishment.

Two - It is probably the worst video I have seen so far this year.
The article doesn't mention mental illness I believe, unless I missed it.

Is every case of someone wanting to commit suicide, or harm others a mental illness case?

Is no one ever responsible for horrible actions because anything that seems crazy enough must be due to mental illness?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
The article doesn't mention mental illness I believe, unless I missed it.

Is no one ever responsible for horrible actions because anything that seems crazy enough must be due to mental illness?
Seems that way these days, oh and it's a great way of avoiding punishment.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #30
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

An article in today's paper.

http://www.news.com.au/national/west...b2530c061fba60