Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Nissan X-Trail and Mitsubishi Outlander 7seaters

Hi all

Does anyone here own or know anyone who owns a Outlander or X-Trail 7seater?

If so could provide some feed back good and bad about the 3rd row. Like space, age groups using the 3rd row etc

Any info appreciated

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nissan X-Trail and Mitsubishi Outlander 7seaters

Probably something worth bearing in mind is that there are no AC vents at the back of the centre console of the Outlander.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah was aware of that thanks. I find it pretty poor really.

Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
Old 15-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one really?

Old 15-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only got the 5 seater XTrail. If you are wanting s 7 seater I think Mitsubishi does better deals on the 7 seater. If you do go Outlander I would try to stretch and get the AWD with the bigger engine. I was all ready to buy a 2.0 Outlander the day I test drove it ( I previously drove a 2.4), after about 15 mins I took it back as I wasn't interested. The XTrail auto comes standard with the 2.5.

If you are going to be using the 7 seats a lot, I would probably go a size bigger like Territory, Kluger etc, for occasional trips the Outlander and XTrail is fine for kids.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a Sorento? I just swapped my Territory for a Sorento (sad day as I loved the Territory and had they kept making them it would have been an easy choice)
The back seats of the Sorento are ok for kids, you can fit an adult in there (I tried, I am 6ft) and I did fit, but its not ideal. There are separate vents with controls in the rear Sorento for the third row.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I currently have a 11/2016 Xtrail ST-L 7 Seater as a rental while I'm on holidays in Perth.. Let me know what you wanna know and I will check it out...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an MY 14.5 outlander 7 seater and found the leg room better that the territory in the 3rd row

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I currently have a 11/2016 Xtrail ST-L 7 Seater as a rental while I'm on holidays in Perth.. Let me know what you wanna know and I will check it out...
Oh nice thanks. Could you get some pics of the 3rd row?
Are you using all 3 rows on your trips? Could you show the legroom of each row, say when the middle row is slided half way between front and rear ?

Old 18-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #10
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will do it tonight and post up

Old 18-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #11
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have been looking at small-mid 7 seaters. We have 3 kids 7/5/3, not after a big car as we already have one, just after a runabout for the missus.

Checked out the Xtrail, it is nice, middle row slides back and forwards to allow extra leg room for the 3rd row. But I am 198cm and I need the drivers seat all the way back, that means the middle row needs to be fully back to fit the kids. Like this, there is bugger all leg room in the 3rd row, 7yo just fit in there. Overall a nice car but extremely small in the back area.

Next was the Outlander, just felt cheap compared to the Xtrail. The middle seat in the middle row barely fit my 7yo between the 2 seatbelt sockets, in a couple of years there would be no chance of fitting comfortably (same as Pajero Sport). The rear area looked unfinished with big gaps either sides of the seats. Missus did not like the feel of the car at all, just a very cheap feeling.

Also checked out a Kia Rondo. Not an SUV but a small people mover. Pretty much a hatchback on steroids. Interior was bloody fantastic!!! Middle row has 3 individual seats that reclined and moved back and forward individually. With all seats slid all the way back my missus could still fit in the 3rd row (just). Access was great and seemed to have more room than the other 2. Interior felt much higher quality than the other 2 and plenty of features. Motor was pretty sluggish (but missus can't tell haha) but we are 95% going to get one.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks mate really looking forward to it

Old 20-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have a MY14.5 7 seater Outlander.

Yes, no vents meaning it can get hot / cold in the 3rd row.

In actual fact space is not too bad. I've had average sized adults in the 3rd row for 2-3 hr drives and it's fine for them on the odd occasion.

It's NOT a solution for regular 7 seat usage! But for once in the blue moon an adult will find it ok. Children up to 150cm tall should also have no issues for long term usage of the 3rd row.

The good thing about the outlander is the 2nd row has a heap of adjustability - like 20ish cm fore / aft movement. So, the front row can get in, and adjust their seats forward to a comfortable position, then the 2nd row can get in and do the same.

The 3rd row requires a bit of contortion and bending to get into but that's just another compromise. It's not a vehicle you can use for permanent 7 seat travel, (unless they are kids in the 3rd row) but it has been invaluable when you are a party of 6 or 7 and it means otherwise taking 2 cars.

The Outlander in Diesel has a regular 6sp box, I believe the new ones are just cosmetic changes to the grille and the rest is the same. The one thing I don't like is the lack of front sensors on the top spec model.

Other than that, they are a great compromise vehicle. Not to small, not to big, nimble, easy to park and economical (my diesel averages 5.5ish per 100 on the freeway, and mid to high 8's around town).

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How did you go Daz?

Old 23-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #15
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
We have been looking at small-mid 7 seaters. We have 3 kids 7/5/3, not after a big car as we already have one, just after a runabout for the missus.

Checked out the Xtrail, it is nice, middle row slides back and forwards to allow extra leg room for the 3rd row. But I am 198cm and I need the drivers seat all the way back, that means the middle row needs to be fully back to fit the kids. Like this, there is bugger all leg room in the 3rd row, 7yo just fit in there. Overall a nice car but extremely small in the back area.

Next was the Outlander, just felt cheap compared to the Xtrail. The middle seat in the middle row barely fit my 7yo between the 2 seatbelt sockets, in a couple of years there would be no chance of fitting comfortably (same as Pajero Sport). The rear area looked unfinished with big gaps either sides of the seats. Missus did not like the feel of the car at all, just a very cheap feeling.

Also checked out a Kia Rondo. Not an SUV but a small people mover. Pretty much a hatchback on steroids. Interior was bloody fantastic!!! Middle row has 3 individual seats that reclined and moved back and forward individually. With all seats slid all the way back my missus could still fit in the 3rd row (just). Access was great and seemed to have more room than the other 2. Interior felt much higher quality than the other 2 and plenty of features. Motor was pretty sluggish (but missus can't tell haha) but we are 95% going to get one.
The Rondo is a fantastic car. My wife has one and she loves it. The beauty about this car is its not high as an SUV. Putting the kids in and out of baby seats means dad doesnt have to give mum back massages for her sore back.
The best thing about this car is, it doesnt drive like an SUV or people mover. It ride and handling is great and feels like youre driving are car.

And the third row seats have a lot more leg room than our old Territory.
My 6 foot brother inlaw was suprised how much space he had over the territory in the third row.

Although my brother in law does have a 2008 Outlander and its pretty good too. Seats a very comfy, third row seating is ok for an adult and it pretty much has everything you need. The landrover-like tailgate is cool too. The only thing i didnt like was the 3rd row seat is tricky to put up and down. Theres way too many steps involved and will be tricky for the wife and kids, even for you, if you are having to look after them when you need the seats up - im not sure about the new outlander though...

Just some things for the OP to think about

Last edited by Hawkeye84; 23-03-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #16
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nissan Pathfinder 7 Seater?
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #17
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry OP.. Bit of an interesting few days.. Long story short had to head to Geraldton to see the wife's Grandmother and ended up hitting a kangaroo which screwed the radiator and the Xtrail had to be towed away before I could get the pictures.. Car rental co where ok but didn't gave any of that size left so we ended up in a VF SV6 Commodore which Is no good to you... lol.. sorry mate...

What I can tell you is that with the Back seats at the rearmost setting the 3rd row has minimal leg room but as soon as you move the second row forward by 15-20cm its fine with enough room... Seats are easy to get up and down...

As for the car itself, I would never touch one, but that's because I despise CVT transmissions and compared to my wife's old 2015 CRV it didn't have that much grunt. Interior is nice though, comfy seats, pretty good layout.

Again, sorry about the lack of photo's, I was going to take them before we left for Geraldton but the car was already packed and of course, then skippy ruined it for us... lol

Old 27-03-2017, 03:39 AM   #18
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're considering all your other options, I know there might be a Mazda CX-5 7-seater here within a few months. Not sure if Holden Equinox will be. Here is another list of 7-seaters coming http://performancedrive.com.au/top-1...017-2018-2723/

Also the cheapest 7-seaters in Australia are:

Proton Exora,
Mahindra XUV500 (actually pretty good I reckon)
LDV G10 with 169kW 2.0-turbo engine or diesel, ZF 6-speed
VW Caddy Maxi
Prius V
Odyssey.

Craptiva 7 still counts but they are a loathesome POS.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry OP.. Bit of an interesting few days.. Long story short had to head to Geraldton to see the wife's Grandmother and ended up hitting a kangaroo which screwed the radiator and the Xtrail had to be towed away before I could get the pictures.. Car rental co where ok but didn't gave any of that size left so we ended up in a VF SV6 Commodore which Is no good to you... lol.. sorry mate...

What I can tell you is that with the Back seats at the rearmost setting the 3rd row has minimal leg room but as soon as you move the second row forward by 15-20cm its fine with enough room... Seats are easy to get up and down...

As for the car itself, I would never touch one, but that's because I despise CVT transmissions and compared to my wife's old 2015 CRV it didn't have that much grunt. Interior is nice though, comfy seats, pretty good layout.

Again, sorry about the lack of photo's, I was going to take them before we left for Geraldton but the car was already packed and of course, then skippy ruined it for us... lol
Oh dear sorry to hear that. Hope you and your family are ok.