Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #1111
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Initial orders have surpassed their expectations.

Guess they know buyers better than internet hero's who trash talk something they wouldn't buy anyway, or could even afford to.

Although it deserves at least a diesel V6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #1112
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
, but tbh my pick would be the 4.6 petrol V8. (silence ensues)...
I know this off topic. I read a little while ago that the next 300 series landcruiser will only be available in a petrol V8. The 3 petrol motors available throughout the world currently in 200 series landcruisers are 4ltr, 4.6ltr and 5.7ltr. So out of these 3 which one would Australia get?

Warren
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #1113
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
So your telling me if Ford offered a ranger with a 3.0L V6 powerstroke diesel along side the 2.0L 4cyl BI turbo. The 4cylinder would sell more. Please. Look at amarok sales since the V6 was introduced...... Capacity and power sells....
What sales? Where are they in the segment.
Strange how Toyota dropped their v6 diesel....should have killed the ranger in sales.

Lots of these duel cab sales are fleets....if a company goes and buys 30 units they will look at fuel economy.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #1114
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Considering the ridiculous profit margin and cheap manufacturing on dual cab utes like the ranger. I'm sure Ford has plenty of cash in the bank to make a petrol or v6 power stroke ranger possible.....
Absolutely
The Americans get the last evolution of gen 1 T6 as a foot in the door
but Bronco is the big one for them and the turning of the tide for T6
It will be the indicator of what will be possible in NG T6 Ranger.
3.2I-5 is dead in 2021, the new champ must be 3.0V6 Powerstroke or 3.0 Ecoboost if you’re ‘murrican
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #1115
articulatedsphinx

Just got word, will be taking delivery last week of September!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #1116
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Guess they know buyers better than internet hero's who trash talk something they wouldn't buy anyway, or could even afford to.

Ofcourse sales surpassed expectations, new model, never had anything like this chassis to date, not huge numbers for now but great they are shifting.
I expect most if not all dealers have bought up the lot and then for waiting customers.

I don't understand the belittling by some not you alone Bossxr8 - regards desiring a larger motor, lets face it Raptor's DNA to date has been V8, heck thats all I've ever known them to be and seen them many times over the years when in the US.
Roll on todays world and our market, I would expect a V6 would have received the same buyer response putting down money at the dealers.
I think there is alot of internet heros who Can afford one but are sitting back.
I've met many members from AFF over the years (some wouldn't care to post on this thread for eg) and impressed some have fleets min 4 Fords, some 6 + etcetc......
Not sure I could be classified as a internet warrior but I could get one but will wait and see.
This is a great rig as is but there is nothing wrong with desiring for something more and quoting as such.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #1117
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
i think he meant petrol.

Just for some insight, the 2.7V6 Ecoboost petrol in a 7 seater Edge is averaging 16L/100km as a daily, no real highway driving....
Holy guacamole! The 4.0 AWD ZF SY, with 270,000km on the clock, is averaging 12.9 in similar in a 2100kg vehicle. From new it kept 11.2 easily, but now chews a little more.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #1118
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Yeah Sprintey we had the 100 V8 petrol and that V8 engine was up there with the I6T for smoothness. Absolutely gorgeous motor. Half the time it would be idling and you’d sometimes be caught out if sitting long enough thinking it was turned off. Was a lounge chair on wheels. We had the pleasure of hitting the Northern Territory twice with it and that V8 was just awesome on the big open road. It’s weight/stance/suspension just sat beautifully on the road.
Only down side was the fuel. Unladen it was using 15L/100km.
Sounds great, would love a clean original example of that model. For me open road touring then tackling sandy tracks at the beach would be about the ideal use. The motor sounds great. I had two Cruisers, an HJ60 for the remote work on pizza cutters, and an FJ73 Auto LX, which was such a grunty little beast on the sand. Had the classic 3F carby flat spot, but was just so capable.

The diesel enabled me to achieve a lot career wise. It was slow but ultra reliable. I did work out for every $1 in fuel I'd have to spend another $1 in maintenance/rego/ins, petrol was a bit cheaper on this side leading to about balance.

& Ben73, yep you can't beat that sound! I did a story last year on our petrol Terry soldiering on in -10C temps at Hotham when many diesels began to have the fuel freeze in their lines, there's that benefit too.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #1119
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
i think he meant petrol.

Just for some insight, the 2.7V6 Ecoboost petrol in a 7 seater Edge is averaging 16L/100km as a daily, no real highway driving....
from Ford.com
EPA-estimated rating of 17 city/24 hwy/20 combined mpg AWD 2.7L EcoBoost®. Actual mileage will vary.

converted combined is like 11L/100 city is 14L/1000
Edge is a 5 seater too.. so maybe you have the wrong vehicle.

they have a 7 seater in china, but no 2.7..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #1120
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Ofcourse sales surpassed expectations, new model, never had anything like this chassis to date, not huge numbers for now but great they are shifting.
I expect most if not all dealers have bought up the lot and then for waiting customers.

I don't understand the belittling by some not you alone Bossxr8 - regards desiring a larger motor, lets face it Raptor's DNA to date has been V8, heck thats all I've ever known them to be and seen them many times over the years when in the US.
Roll on todays world and our market, I would expect a V6 would have received the same buyer response putting down money at the dealers.
I think there is alot of internet heros who Can afford one but are sitting back.
I've met many members from AFF over the years (some wouldn't care to post on this thread for eg) and impressed some have fleets min 4 Fords, some 6 + etcetc......
Not sure I could be classified as a internet warrior but I could get one but will wait and see.
This is a great rig as is but there is nothing wrong with desiring for something more and quoting as such.
I agree, member in questions has a NF and FG but can comment? Slippery slope if we start suggesting people need to be qualified to just have an opinion.

Like the Mustang, GT86 etc when they are new they ride a wave, give it 12 months to really see if a product is a success.

I wish Ford well, but long term I think it needs a powertrain option atleast. Having a 2.0 as the standard is fine if you had something else to play with.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #1121
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Strange how Toyota dropped their v6 diesel....should have killed the ranger in sales.

Lots of these duel cab sales are fleets....if a company goes and buys 30 units they will look at fuel economy.
When did Toyota do a V6 diesel? I can only recall the D40 Navarra and current Amarok having V6's and they were still only 3.2L.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #1122
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree, member in questions has a NF and FG but can comment? Slippery slope if we start suggesting people need to be qualified to just have an opinion.

Like the Mustang, GT86 etc when they are new they ride a wave, give it 12 months to really see if a product is a success.

I wish Ford well, but long term I think it needs a powertrain option atleast. Having a 2.0 as the standard is fine if you had something else to play with.
Some people though thought Ranger Raptor getting anything less than the TTV6 the F150 Raptor has was a fail.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #1123
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
give it 12 months to really see if a product is a success.
I agree with the sentiment but not the timeframe. Ranger as we know it took the best part of 3 years to become what it is today.

I expect Everest will continue to slowly creep up some more yet from where it is.

12 months isn't really that long.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #1124
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

You reckon re Everest eh, I doubt it.
Its a volume market and its near on 3yrs now, if it was loved by the naked eye straight away And better price pointed then it would be double the numbers.
It just doesn't grab Mrs Joe Average it won't climb to challenge the leaders whilst they are chasing premium price for starters, I suppose what sells they are making good coin thats the main thing.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #1125
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You reckon re Everest eh, I doubt it.
Its a volume market and its near on 3yrs now, if it was loved by the naked eye straight away And better price pointed then it would be double the numbers.
It just doesn't grab Mrs Joe Average it won't climb to challenge the leaders whilst they are chasing premium price for starters, I suppose what sells they are making good coin thats the main thing.
I never said it would challenge the leaders. I said I think the numbers will grow some more yet from its current level.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #1126
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well, you'd wanna hope numbers to grow in such a hectic large market.
I quoted leaders for well, thats where you fish right, wish to be in the ball game, if their happy at middle ground or lower well what can you say.
Anyway sorry back on RR with small engine but big chest.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #1127
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Well, you'd wanna hope numbers to grow in such a hectic large market.
I quoted leaders for well, thats where you fish right, wish to be in the ball game, if their happy at middle ground or lower well what can you say.
Anyway sorry back on RR with small engine but big chest.
I think you sell cars to make money, and most Ford's I see are the top models not base, so I think they know what they are doing.

But yes, back to discussing Raptor.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #1128
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
from Ford.com
EPA-estimated rating of 17 city/24 hwy/20 combined mpg AWD 2.7L EcoBoost®. Actual mileage will vary.

converted combined is like 11L/100 city is 14L/1000
Edge is a 5 seater too.. so maybe you have the wrong vehicle.

they have a 7 seater in china, but no 2.7..
Hi just courious did you do this conversion on a us gallon or imperial as a us gallon is smaller ?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #1129
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I agree with the sentiment but not the timeframe. Ranger as we know it took the best part of 3 years to become what it is today.

I expect Everest will continue to slowly creep up some more yet from where it is.

Hi i live on Yorke Penninsula and i am starting to see Everest regularly now a lot of grey nomads and now farmers wifes updating from Territory for shopping and kids dutys
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #1130
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little deconstruction of the truck...

https://jalopnik.com/see-inside-the-...l-c-1828206800
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #1131
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

the guys in the garage here just fitted a standard tonneau cover to a Raptor which I guess implies that the loadbed isn't any longer despite what the press release states.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #1132
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Hi just courious did you do this conversion on a us gallon or imperial as a us gallon is smaller ?
I used Google.
Google seems to use the US Gallon.

but thanks, I didn't know the US Gallon was different
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #1133
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Hi i live on Yorke Penninsula and i am starting to see Everest regularly now a lot of grey nomads and now farmers wifes updating from Territory for shopping and kids dutys
Same here.

90% are titanium and they are replacing prados.
I started noticing them about 12 months ago, it took a while but people are catching on.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #1134
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

you can count them on one hand travelling in a 4M pop city in my travels.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #1135
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
why though, when only six people on this forum want one?
I know a number of Ford fans who have no idea about this forum and don't post online. We are a small group here.

Next time I see my older work colleague who loves Fords (he has owned 6 in the 9 years I have known him, including a Ranger) I'll ask him about the Raptor and his thoughts on a 4cylinder vs a 6 cylinder Raptor. You never know maybe 7 people in the world might like a 6 cylinder diesel over a 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

What, a couple of people have said it should be a v8 petrol? In the modern car climate a v8 is never going to happen. Most critics seem to think a V6 diesel is a good idea since that is still an acceptable engine for the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post

Did Toyota have a 6 Cylinder diesel Hilux? If so I haven't heard of it.

Yes in general fleets only care about costs, but no fleet is going to by a Raptor.
It's like back when Falcons were a common fleet car how many fleets bought the Xr8? Slim to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

It seams the highly hyped models do really well at the start, then drop off. Standard models seem to do ok in the start and get better over time with reputation. Raptor is pretty hyped so we will see this time next year how the figures are going I guess.
I hope it goes well. I don't want to see the Ranger Raptor disappear.

Quote:
you can count them on one hand travelling in a 4M pop city in my travels.
I agree, I live in an area with heaps of young families. 4x4/Suvs are in almost every driveway. I have spotted less Everest's than V8 Patrols, Landcruisers and X5's while walking my dogs down every street in the area.

Nothing wrong with an Everest, they are good just not as popular as many other 4x4's

As for people saying fuel econonmy in a twin turbo will be amazing. Well I'm sure it will be fine, but look at the Navara twin turbo 4 cylinder diesel, people online are complaining it's not getting anywhere close to the claimed range
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #1136
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

Did Toyota have a 6 Cylinder diesel Hilux? If so I haven't heard of it.

Yes in general fleets only care about costs, but no fleet is going to by a Raptor.
It's like back when Falcons were a common fleet car how many fleets bought the Xr8? Slim to none.
Your right there wasn't a v6 diesel. My mistake.

Guess Toyota realise the roi isn't there. Raptor will more then likely be a small volume car. And considering that the off road market is where there is growth ford focused their resources there. Maybe an aftermarket firm can do a v8 version and then the tiny market can buy it there or won't when they are the price it would cost.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #1137
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

There are firms doing V8 conversions for Rangers and Colorados if you want to go that route.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #1138
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Same here.

90% are titanium and they are replacing prados.
I started noticing them about 12 months ago, it took a while but people are catching on.
Seems most of the farmers wife's down here use full optioned V8 Landcruisers or Range Rovers. Most be lots of money in cattle and Canola.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #1139
articulatedsphinx

Hey, quick question for those of you who have purchased rangers with the tow bar preinstalled at the factory, do they come with the towball and hitch?

Or literally just the tow bar?

Thanks
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #1140
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Hitch yes, no tow ball..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post