Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #631
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

when did it becomes necessary to to have an endorsed licence to drive these jacked up twin cabs
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #632
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just for comparison...

https://www.motoring.com.au/hsv-colo...-cheap-111047/

Quote:
HSV Colorado SportsCat isn’t cheap
HSV Colorado SportsCat isn’t cheap
February 12, 2018
story photos specs

Pricing for the new HSV-tuned SportsCat five-seat ute starts at more than $60,000

Holden Special Vehicles first take on the Holden Colorado – and its first new vehicle in the post Aussie Commodore era – is the HSV SportsCat.

The dual-cab five-seat ute is yours from $60,790 for the manual or $62,990 with an automatic transmission.

There’s also the HSV SportsCat+, pegged at $66,790 for the manual, which is more expensive than the V8-powered, 340kW HSV Maloo R8 SV Black we last tested in mid-2016.

With no more than the regular Holden Colorado, the HSV SportsCat makes do with the same 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine worth 147kW and 500Nm, or 440Nm if you take the six-speed manual in lieu of the six-speed auto.

Adding an automatic transmission increases the price by $2200.

What do you get is a pumped-up look designed to make the Ford Ranger Wildtrak look puny in comparison, thanks to the HSV’s pumped wheel arches, new grille, tailgate, hard tonneau cover and new wheels. AP Racing brakes and the option of SupaShock suspension is available on the SportsCat+ too.

Check out our review for more details and our thoughts on the new HSV Colorado SportsCat, which we scored 80/100.

HSV’s Managing Director, Tim Jackson, said the new SportsCat delivers “outstanding value” considering “…the breadth of styling, comfort and engineering enhancements…” made to the vehicle.

“Our two-tier product strategy provides buyers with the flexibility to choose the model that best suits their work and lifestyle requirements,” he added.

There has been talk of the HSV Wildfire, an even hotted version of the Colorado dual-cab ute by HSV. It could be powered by a twin-turbo petrol V6 and give the new Ford Ranger Raptor something to think about.

HSV says it already has “strong” levels of interest in the new SportsCat model which can be optioned with a range of extras, listed below.

2018 HSV Colorado SportsCat (plus ORCs):
Colorado SportsCat manual: $60,790
Colorado SportsCat automatic: $62,990

Colorado SportsCat+ manual: $66,790
Colorado SportsCat+ automatic: $68,990

2018 HSV Colorado SportsCat options:
Six-speed Automatic Transmission: $2,200
Sail Plane (SportsCat+ only): $1,300
SupaShock suspension (SportsCat+ only): $3,600
Prestige Paint (Satin Steel Grey & Mineral Black): $550
Tub-liner: $300
Load Master: $795
Eye-Bolt: $75
Roof Rack: $647

2018 HSV SportsCat equipment:
Driving Dynamics
• 2.8L 4-cylinder DOHC Duramax Turbo Diesel engine
• 6-speed manual transmission
• 6-speed automatic transmission with Active Select (option)
• Shift-on-the-fly 4WD
• Limited Slip Differential
• Engine sump guard
• HSV Sports suspension
• SupaShock suspension (option on SportsCat+)
• Rear De-coupling Anti-roll Bar (SportsCat+ only)
• Wide wheel track (30mm wider than Colorado Z71)
• Hi-ride height (45mm higher at the front than Colorado Z71)
• Cooper Zeon LTZ Pro Sports All-terrain tyres (285/60 R18)
• Electric Power Steering

Exterior Design
• Unique front fascias & grilles
• Unique fender flares
• 18” x 10” 6-spoke forged alloy wheels (matte black) – SportsCat
• 18” x 10” 6-spoke forged alloy wheels (matte black with machined face) – SportsCat+
• LED fog lamps
• LED daytime running lamps
• LED tail lights
• Bonnet bulge (SportsCat+ only)
• Tubular side-steps
• Hard tonneau
• Alloy Sports Bar
• Sail Plane (option on SportsCat+)
• Tailgate applique’

Interior Design
• SV Sports seats (Jasmine leather / Windsor suede)
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel with red highlight stitching
• Perforated leather / suede dash-pad trim
• Red stitching highlights
• SportsCat floor mats

Safety
• Forward Collision Alert
• Lane Departure Warning
• Rain Sensing Wipers
• Front airbags for driver and front passenger
• Front seat side impact airbags
• Full length side curtain airbags
• Driver knee airbag
• Front disc brakes (SportsCat)
• Front AP Racing forged 4-piston brake calipers with 362mm discs (SportsCat+ only)
• 25.4mm brake master cylinder
• Electronic Stability Control incorporating:
• Anti-lock Braking System
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
• Traction Control System
• Hill Descent Control & Hill Start Assist
• Trailer Sway Control
• Roll Over Mitigation
• Front & rear park assist
• Rear-view camera

Cabin Comfort & Conveniences
• Electronic climate control
• Remote window activation (via key-fob)
• Heated 6-way electric adjustable driver seat
• MyLink infotainment system with 8” touch-screen
• Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB+) multi-media
• 7-speaker audio
• USB input with iPod® connectivity
• Phone projection featuring Apple® CarPlay™ and Android Auto™
• Embedded satellite navigation

Practicality & Versatility
• Remote start (auto only)
• Roof rails
• Recovery hooks (front)
• “Soft-open” tailgate strut
• Hard tonneau features “quick-release” mechanism & load-rail provision
• Tub-liner (option)
• Load Master (option)
• Eye-bolt (option)
• Roof rack (option)

naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #633
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Yet another article stating it's not just about the engine. The more you're told to look the other way, the more you should question why.

The engine is unacceptable. It should have come with the 2.7 or 3.5EB.
This was never going to get the 3.5TT no matter where it was made, or for whom
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #634
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting the Ranger raptor only has twin piston front calipers and even the HSV Colorado is getting 4 piston and big 362mm discs.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 12:05 AM   #635
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd laugh if hsv added more power to the Colorado, and bumped it above the raptor.

Caradvice is running a poll on raptor on its facebook page. 60% are stating they'd be interested if it had more power.

Can believe ford missed what the market wanted here, its like 90% there but the last 10% is the bit that justifies the coin
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #636
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Can believe ford missed what the market wanted here
Its the Ford way. Ignore what the customer wants, build what you feel like building and convince the customer they're wrong.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #637
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

out of curiosity, of those reading this who fully support the new ranger raptor, add a like to this comment if you are actually going to go & buy one
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #638
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Its the Ford way. Ignore what the customer wants, build what you feel like building and convince the customer they're wrong.
Occasionally the formula works, and they build a brilliant product. Ford Australia persisted with the Falcon, decade after decade, largely ignoring the trends of downsizing (XD Falcon vs VB commodore), technology and useless gadgets (keyless entry, heads up display and other useless tech that consumers love), fuel economy, the switch to front-wheel-drive, sensible motoring (installing a supercharged V8 and I6T in an era of hoon laws, high petrol prices, and greenies) and still made it to age 55, not bad..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #639
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
90ish for a raptor that is half a ton heavier, running a 6 speed auto and a horse and cart rear end (leaf spring). And the laughable part - it’s only 88Nm more than the 2 litre diesel. Please tell me WTF would you buy one?????? It’s an old school anchor on wheels that would chew through fuel like a locomotive.

The Ranger Raptor would shyte on that literally - there’s no comparison. Now price up the latest V6 twin turbo Raptor with its leaf ars* rear also.
Have you ever driven one ??? I guess not, the old rear springs like you say have been around for years.. why do you think this is case?
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #640
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its worth noting the mercedes X-class goes on sale here in April.
Next year you will be able to get the X350D with a 190kW/550Nm 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6

and thats without an AMG Badge..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #641
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl
Interesting the Ranger raptor only has twin piston front calipers and even the HSV Colorado is getting 4 piston and big 362mm discs.
It will need big brakes to slow down for bumps in the road the Raptor will glide over.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #642
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
I'd laugh if hsv added more power to the Colorado, and bumped it above the raptor.

Caradvice is running a poll on raptor on its facebook page. 60% are stating they'd be interested if it had more power.

Can believe ford missed what the market wanted here, its like 90% there but the last 10% is the bit that justifies the coin
I highly doubt a company such as ford would base such a major decision on the results of an FB poll, of which how many vote will actually buy one? I mean id have loved to have seen a decent donk in it but couldnt care cause i aint buying one.

Also comparing brakes between raptor and sportcat, why does the sports cat need AP brakes? Its not going to need to wash off massive amounts of speed now is it?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #643
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Have you ever driven one ??? I guess not, the old rear springs like you say have been around for years.. why do you think this is case?
They have been around for years , since horses were pulling carts to state the obvious, and yes they have their place in today’s world. The F150 is ditching its leaf rear and is going coils, and it’s the raptors that we’re talkin about. The Ranger Raptor would eat up all the miles on some of our biggest trips in Oz, use half the fuel, would handle better and is half a ton lighter. If someone wants to pay 90g for old school good luck to em, I can’t see their logic which is why I replied - I don’t have to have ridden in one to see the huge difference.
The unit mentioned was running the 6.2 litre petrol, 6 speed and 588Nm for reference. Cheers
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #644
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
HSV upgrading the brakes, who would have thought.

The RR brake booster has been uprated over the Ranger apparently for better stopping. Discs on the back are nice aswell for what it’s designed for.

Bit like the 6/4 brembos on my F6 vs standard 4/1 brembos. We did some stopping tests on a closed track in Canberra using a Vbox. Tests included stopping at various speeds including 2 @ 180km/h, the difference was so small that unless someone was tracking their car the 4/1s are just as good on the street.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #645
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They have been around for years , since horses were pulling carts to state the obvious, and yes they have their place in today’s world. The F150 is ditching its leaf rear and is going coils, and it’s the raptors that we’re talkin about. The Ranger Raptor would eat up all the miles on some of our biggest trips in Oz, use half the fuel, would handle better and is half a ton lighter. If someone wants to pay 90g for old school good luck to em, I can’t see their logic which is why I replied - I don’t have to have ridden in one to see the huge difference.
The unit mentioned was running the 6.2 litre petrol, 6 speed and 588Nm for reference. Cheers

On what terms are you comparing leaf springs to horse and cart. One of two niche vehicles? Two vehicles that I assume both will be/are bought by posers to drive around urban areas, just like the current crop of over priced leaf sprung drum braked double cab Utes. Good luck seeing these frequenting the Canning Stock Route, Tanami Track, or replacing the preferred vehicle in remote Oz for doing real work.
The horse and cart comments remind me of one eyed ford fans in 2003 when the BA came out with dohc. All of a sudden anything pushrod was dinosaur and frowned on despite most mainstream Euro models offering dohc 30-40 years before FoA.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #646
spvd02

Quote:
use half the fuel? I call bs on that one. Official figures might say so, but most diesel figures are wildly optimistic in the real world, whereas many petrol vehicle owners can match or beat the quoted figures, especially when running 95 or 98. I also speak from my own experience.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #647
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
use half the fuel? I call bs on that one. Official figures might say so, but most diesel figures are wildly optimistic in the real world, whereas many petrol vehicle owners can match or beat the quoted figures, especially when running 95 or 98. I also speak from my own experience.

Official figures. Who gives about official figures. You are talking about a 2.7 ton truck running a 6200cc Petrol engine through a 6 speed auto box.
Now compare that to a 2 litre twin turbo diesel that is latest technology running through the latest 10 speed box - yes it will be half the fuel.
My experience running an unladen 2.3 ton 100 series 4.7 V8 (5 speed auto) was about 14.8litres per 100 from memory. Hook anything up to it and geezus you’d be going through it in a headwind. A 3litre intercooled TD are around 8-8.5L per 100km. What is your experience with fuel?
Old 13-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #648
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
On what terms are you comparing leaf springs to horse and cart. One of two niche vehicles? Two vehicles that I assume both will be/are bought by posers to drive around urban areas, just like the current crop of over priced leaf sprung drum braked double cab Utes. Good luck seeing these frequenting the Canning Stock Route, Tanami Track, or replacing the preferred vehicle in remote Oz for doing real work.
The horse and cart comments remind me of one eyed ford fans in 2003 when the BA came out with dohc. All of a sudden anything pushrod was dinosaur and frowned on despite most mainstream Euro models offering dohc 30-40 years before FoA.
Ya gotta love the typical cliche surrounding dual cab utes and the like not getting off-road. My opinion is that many of the fourbies do get out when they get the chance. The off-roading/caravan/camping scene has literally exploded in this country over the last 15 yrs and doesn’t look like slowing down.
I did the CSR with a Hilux. The only problem with the Hilux was all the aftermarket gear he had put on fell off. Suspension failed, canopy, dual battery tray cracked the guard, trailer wiring melted and the list just continued. If he left it stock he would have saved himself a lot of pain the poor bastard. I’d genuinely love to hit the CSR in this RR, nothing else on the market, nothing would suit that stock route more than this Raptor.

Edit - mate had the Hilux, I had a modified shorty which went well apart from an engine mount bolt coming loose.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 13-02-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #649
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE What is your experience with fuel?[/QUOTE]they are still making it.fuel economy fig are the last thing i look at.first is does it have 8 cylinders if not i move on.which is why i would rather a second hand horse and cart
Old 13-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #650
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh - why stop at a V8. Dodge run the 8.3 litre 505ci V10 in the SRT sport pick up truck, Chapman Caravans in Nowra had one for sale recently. Runs a 4 speed auto or 6 manual - beeefy
Quite a few on line. Runs premium of course
Old 14-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #651
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because im a ford person so unfort no to the dodge but it does sound good.
Old 14-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #652
spvd02

Quote:
Official figures. Who gives about official figures. You are talking about a 2.7 ton truck running a 6200cc Petrol engine through a 6 speed auto box.
Now compare that to a 2 litre twin turbo diesel that is latest technology running through the latest 10 speed box - yes it will be half the fuel.
My experience running an unladen 2.3 ton 100 series 4.7 V8 (5 speed auto) was about 14.8litres per 100 from memory. Hook anything up to it and geezus you’d be going through it in a headwind. A 3litre intercooled TD are around 8-8.5L per 100km. What is your experience with fuel?
My bad - I only skim read your post, thinking you were comparing Ranger with hypothetical Ranger (petrol), but you were comparing Ranger with F150.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #653
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

....all good, like any pub things are misheard/misread at times cheers
Old 14-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #654
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Ha! Anyone who drives one of these in the city is an oxygen thief imo.
What a complete and utter waste of a car.

A mate of mine has 1.3 million acres up at marble bar/nullagine/telfer (warrowagine station) and this would be beyond perfect. Leave one at the end of his nightmare 150km driveway. It's about the only way you'd get in without flying these days.

A raptor could prove to be a fantastic outback car I reckon.
Imagine mustering in one...poor cattle haha.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #655
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
still made it to age 55, not bad..
One has that luxury when they're spending other peoples money.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #656
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Arrow Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

MEDIA RELEASE now hosted on AFF here.

Thanks Russ (russellw)
Raptor is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #657
bretts351