Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Au wheel bearings, easy to replace yourself?

As the title suggests, is it easy to replace my front wheel bearings at home? Any tools to make it easier or any 'how to' threads? Thanks for any help

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a how to, ill dig it up for you. Its a sealed unit so you're replacing the front hub, basically just remove the brake caliper and disc then the hub.

Same right through the AU-BA-BF range

How to
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=709
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Hey mate, as long as you have the basic mechanical knowledge its a reasonably easy job. The wheel bearing are actually one piece with the hub.
To replace them follow these steps.

1.Jack car up and remove the tyre
2. remove the brake caliper and cable tie up out of the way (careful not to kink the brake line)
3. Remove the brake caliper bracket from the upright assembly (should be 15mm from memory)
4. remove the brake rotor
5. remove the nut from the front of the spindle
6. the HUB should slide off towards you. (if it requires perswasion, beware of ABS sensors)

Replacement if the reversal of those steps mate.
The new hubs can be purchased from most auto parts stores.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you're looking to buy new hubs try FTG Auto salvage, i got a price of $50 each (they have them on ebay at that price too) compared to Bursons who wanted $93 each, Repco @ $113 each and Cheapa Auto Spares @ $145 each
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Fantastic fellas. Thankyou all so much. I think ill save the money and give it a go myself.

EDIT: Melva Auto Parts here in Brisbane are selling them on ebay for $55 each. are they any good? Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...item255c40c116
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

The only important thing is that you need to torque the bolt up to spec fairly accurately, too tight and it will distort it. The torque setting is off the scale on many wrenches, I discussed this before, but can't find the thread.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

look at this how to:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=709
I just did mine and like AMB said the torque settings are the only issue.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Re: Au wheel bearings, easy to replace yourself?

That howto is spot-on. My RHS hub slid off easily. The LHS one (which was noisy and allowed slight wheel wobble when tested) had signs of water in it and was rusted onto the stub axle so tightly that I needed to remove the spindle from the car and press the stub axle out of the bearing with a hydraulic press. The inner ring is still stuck on the stub axle. It's soaking overnight with WD40. If it won't budge in the morning I'll try heating it if I have any gas for my blowtorch... outside just in case any residual WD40 flames up!
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Scott

Make sure you have the socket for the spindle - it's a big sucker.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
sly
Sly like a G6

The spindle is what ppl here usually call the steering knuckle - it's the upright that connects the upper & lower control arms. Between the 2 balljoints and the tie rod end, it needs 18 & 19mm sockets.

I take it you mean the caged hub nuts that hold the hub to the stub axle? Mate, I've already got them off. I take it "big sucker" means 36mm socket as mentioned in the howto?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 13-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
chrispie123
Banned

and undo the nut as a whole dont think its locking tabs that bend out like i did
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
sly
Sly like a G6

Ouch!

I did as the workshop manual says & levered the dust caps off with an old screwdriver by tapping it with a hammer... luckily I only pierced 1. But unfortunately it was the good one. The one on the water-affected side looks a bit dodgy, so I'll be replacing both.

Sleeper, anyone?

Last edited by sly; 13-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
ds-fifty
Starter Motor

I replaced a wheel bearing using the guide referenced in this thread. That was about two months ago. Just this week it has started making a really bad noise. When I jacked it up to have a look and removed the road wheel, rotor and caliper, it was difficult to turn by hand, and quite grippy. (ie grabbed, then moved, then grabbed.)
I took off the dust cover and heaps of grease had come out of the bearing and had gathered around the nut.

I'm assuming that the bearing is wrecked, but can't work out why. Does that sound like the torque wrench I rented was inaccurate and I over tightened it?

Also, the guide says 305nm but another thread here says 260nm? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=48203

Any thoughts?
ds-fifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

305 according to the data base

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=577

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
ds-fifty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Thanks for that. Does my issue sounds like I over tightened it or did it just decide to come apart?

I assume all the leaking grease is not normal, maybe some seal crapped itself?
Old 27-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Yep, in the BA service manual, it states that the nut should be tightened to 300nm.

Cheers
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

At that level of torque, I don't think overtightening by upto 10-15% is going to have that dramatic effect. 50% innacurate, then yeh.
Old 27-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-fifty
Does my issue sounds like I over tightened it or did it just decide to come apart?
Hard to say but I know a guy who has a few taxis and he will only use original Ford hubs. He had an aftermarket one needed replacing within two weeks and another within two months.
From then on, originals.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
ds-fifty
Starter Motor

I replaced mine again today (with another aftermarket one! - fingers crossed) the broken one fell off with bb's going everywhere after I undid the hub nut. The part that was broken was the plastic bit that spaced and held the bb's in place. There were chunks of it all messed up in the grease.
I hired the same torque wrench, which was calibrated in ftlbs. Something that I can't quite remember from last time. Now I'm guessing that last time I tightened it to 305 ftlbs not 305nm. This time I tightened it to 225 ftlbs and said a quick prayer and let the jack down.
Old 28-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #20
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds as though you might have overtightened it a tad ;)

The aftermarket hub I did the write-up on has been in for 4 1/2 years and even though I don't do high kilometres I'm happy with that. I'd certainly go aftermarket again.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #21
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Thought I'd ask here.

Anyone used these before? They've had 78 people purchase them but people tend to leave feedback before installing parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_1498wt_905

I'm almost certain mine need replacing, I have a lovely whirring when driving (related to speed, not revs).

Just need to check my Torque wrench will do 300nm!
Old 18-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
Thought I'd ask here.

Anyone used these before? They've had 78 people purchase them but people tend to leave feedback before installing parts.
$50 for a pair of BA/BF bearing hubs with free postage now that's cheap. Quality control will be the problem, you might be lucky and they last for years, or you might just get the 1 in 100 (or more likely 1 in 20, considering that you only need one bad ball bearing in a 1000) that lasts only a few months. Problem with the feedback is that you probably won't know for a month or 2 if they are going to last -yes 20,000 km 1 year warranty , but I guess you have to send the failed hub back and wait a week or 2 for the replacement. Who's going to do that.
Old 21-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #23
Bobman
Regulator

I just changed one of my wheel bearings/hubs yesterday.

The old one had separated the rear bearing cup onto the shaft. A screwdriver and hammer sorted that out in about 20 minutes.

I didn't have a torque wrench, so what I did was mark two spots on the nut and on the spline. One when the old bearing was still in place (and nut was tight), and the second mark on the thread just before the nut comes off. Ended up just as tight as the old one had been in there.

I've noticed a few of them separate on the shaft and the ball bearings in mine were all brown. It was stuffed!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
peterban
AULTD

For those in the Frankston/Cranbourne area I have a torque wrench that goes to 350 Nm and will lend it for free to members of the forum.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I didn't have a torque wrench, so what I did was mark two spots on the nut and on the spline. One when the old bearing was still in place (and nut was tight), and the second mark on the thread just before the nut comes off. Ended up just as tight as the old one had been in there.
Great idea! I'll probably end up counting the threads (ie like you do when changing a tie rod) along with marking the nut. I'm doing the rear hub in a few weeks, was comtemplating getting a torque wrench, not anymore!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
whiskers
gone fishing

Thank god for this thread, I have just replaced my hubs 1 of which was original (drivers side) 288000 Km's not bad going I would say I replaced the passengers side over 7 years ago and that would have been when the car was at just over the 100k mark

I got the replacements from E bay for $49.95 the pair delivered, hope they last as long as the other ones.

cheers
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my wheel hubs from here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item3f0c0faca2

The pair for $65, and they carry 2 year warranty and 40,000 kms.

Pretty good I thought, seem to be ok so far but it's only been a couple of months..
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #28
timmey
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispie123
and undo the nut as a whole dont think its locking tabs that bend out like i did
Thanks to every one here for the info on replacing the bearing , I thought the tabs were locking too untill i came on here , and a 36 mm socket I found easy at the local tool shop .
Job all done and car back on the road ...thanks again guys for the little bits of info , all helped me to do the job
Timmey
timmey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
broms
Starter Motor

Thanks a lot for the info.

Could you advise or point to the information about REAR wheel bearing replacement?
broms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the rears are considerably harder, especially on the irs.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post