Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #211
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I took my daughter and granddaughter on the Rivercat from Parramatta to circular quay and back yesterday, and never saw one plastic supermarket bag in water.

I did however see three black garbage bags floating along though
Old 22-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #212
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I did however see three black garbage bags floating along though
obviously the concrete weights fell off...
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #213
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
Absolutely! I think your onto something, perhaps a new line of masculine shopping trolley wheelie bag thingos, with bloke stuff such as little mags, expensive Lo pro rubber, billet handles, carbon fibre frames. We could start another tribal Ford Vs Holden scene with shopping trolleys. Guys will pay thousands for the latest hi tech trolley! Throw in a Ned Kelly hipster beard and a smashed avo salad at you fav vegan cafe and job done, update your FB page then throw your take away latte cup in the gutter with total peace of mind afterwards.

Last edited by XByoot; 23-07-2018 at 07:19 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #214
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Absolutely! I think your onto something, perhaps a new line of masculine shopping trolley wheelie bag thingos, with bloke stuff such as little mags, expensive Lo pro rubber, billet handles, carbon fibre frames. We could start another tribal Ford Vs Holden scene with shopping trolleys. Guys will pay thousands for the latest hi tech trolley! Throw in a Ned Kelly hipster beard and a smashed avo salad at you fav vegan cafe and job done, update your FB page then throw your take away latte cup in the gutter with total peace of mind afterwards.
I went shopping with my wife the other day, and the shopping bags near the check out counters they sold were all ones appealing to women... Decorated in floral designs on the outside.

No way am I carrying a bag with a bouquet of flowers.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #215
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I went shopping with my wife the other day, and the shopping bags near the check out counters they sold were all ones appealing to women... Decorated in floral designs on the outside.

geez, some of you guys are coming across as rather insecure
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #216
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

If they had a masculine Ford, Mustang, Falcon, AFF etc logo on those shopping bags, we would be all good to go then hey.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #217
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
If they had a masculine Ford, Mustang, Falcon, AFF etc logo on those shopping bags, we would be all good to go then hey.

cheers, Maka
Don't get me wrong, the supermarkets are doing what it right for their business model... The majority of their customers are female of course, so floral shopping bags are more profitable and appealing. That's business
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #218
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

cheers, Maka
I bought a lovely puppy dogs Coles bag the other day but there is always one of these available for the insecure types, even has a separate purse and lippy compartment.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #219
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I wish all supermarkets were like Aldi with somewhere to pack my own bags. I have no problems with reusable bags but am hating getting home with 4 of 12 broken eggs, a squashed loaf, or meat juices right through my shopping because they're trying to jam too much into a bag.
Who says you cant pack your own bags. Stand at the end of the register area and tell the operator you will pack your bags. It will make the transaction quicker in most cases.
Old 24-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #220
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Who says you cant pack your own bags. Stand at the end of the register area and tell the operator you will pack your bags. It will make the transaction quicker in most cases.
Actually the checkout operators pack customers bags to keep the line moving.Imagine some dodderer stuffing around at the end of the bench trying to decide which order all the groceries should be put in the bags. Put that in there then that,oh no better put this in first!no its better this way,and so it goes on and on.
Old 24-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #221
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by Government

I'm running out of bags.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #222
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I bought a lovely puppy dogs Coles bag the other day but there is always one of these available for the insecure types, even has a separate purse and lippy compartment.

I think I'd rather one with flowers or puppy dogs on it...
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #223
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Yeah, I always pack my own bags.
Definitely do if I'm caught at Woolworths, because they seem to have a knack for squashing all the light stuff under the heavy items.
Or just put it back in the trolley and sort it out at your car.

Old 24-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #224
Trendseeker

I’ve converted to reusable bags but I’ve noticed on my last few trips to the supermarket that about two thirds of the shoppers are buying the plastic 15c bags for all their groceries.

You can also buy the old plastic bags from a few suppliers. One wholesaler in Queensland sells them in various sizes and packages, one of which is a box of 2000 large size bags for $51 and $10 delivery.

http://www.shcpackaging.com.au/epage...oducts/SLGT019
Old 27-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #225
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

My Granddaughter found that while Colesworth are getting rid of plastic bags Hospitals are still using them for newborns!

Old 27-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #226
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now that the "single use" bags are no longer available so we can't wrap the rubbish in them, we've started using bread bags to put the rubbish in.
Old 27-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #227
prydey
Rob

Quote:
My Granddaughter found that while Colesworth are getting rid of plastic bags Hospitals are still using them for newborns!

Adds some perspective as well. Life is too precious to be having a sook about having to take your own bags shopping....
Old 27-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #228
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

An awful ot of fuss over something so minor really.
I take my own bags with me, got about 6 zip top cooler bags and the rest are the red reusable material bags all folded in order of how i put my shopping through at the 3 different supermarkets i visit fortnightly and stowed in one of the cooler bags and wiped out after every shop.
I've actually had cashiers comment on the condition and order of my bags as they see some absolute filth pass through.
As for packing my own bags, why, i simply seperate my items, frozen and cold stuff first as the first two bags out of my bundle are cooler bags, then large drink bottles etc. as these are the heaviest and so sit on the bottom of the trolley in open bags. Next is tins and jars, again because of the weight, next is boxes and packets as they are light enough to sit on top and the last things to go through are fruit and veg and breads so there is no squashing, it really isnt that hard to comprehend and it makes things so much easier for the cashier to scan and pack.
I spend more time waiting in the line for the braindead people in front of me than i do having my stuff processed.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #229
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like letting the conveyor belt move a couple of feet before I start unloading my trolley, it really stresses out the people waiting behind me.
Old 27-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #230
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Can't get free shopping bags but can get these for free at the shops.

Go figure. Is this really about reducing plastic waste?
Old 27-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #231
GTMOND

How hard is it just to go back to brown paper bags or cardboard boxes at the end of the checkout. The supermarket I go to in tassie is doing just that, brown paper bags and cardboard boxes.
Milk bottles made of glass instead of plastic, like when I was a kid you would leave the empties in the milk crate at the door in the morning, get home from school and the full ones would be sitting at the door. The empties would be sterilised and reused. Probably wouldn’t be good enough to leave your milk outside for a few hours now, as the milk man would be liable if someone got sick. Ahh the good old simple days.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #232
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
How hard is it just to go back to brown paper bags or cardboard boxes at the end of the checkout. The supermarket I go to in tassie is doing just that, brown paper bags and cardboard boxes.
Milk bottles made of glass instead of plastic, like when I was a kid you would leave the empties in the milk crate at the door in the morning, get home from school and the full ones would be sitting at the door. The empties would be sterilised and reused. Probably wouldn’t be good enough to leave your milk outside for a few hours now, as the milk man would be liable if someone got sick. Ahh the good old simple days.
Reminds me of the saying from the Corn Flakes ad: "The simple things in life are often the best."

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 28-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #233
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That’s no good mate, I’d have to buy 6 babies per week in order to get the free bin liners I need 😂

Oh, and congratulations 👍👍

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #234
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://roadsonline.com.au/downer-bui...cled-plastics/
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #235
jaikai

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am 'Anti' because I have a brain and I am able to see that the whole thing is a scam made to benefit supermarkets and line their pockets even further and inconvenience us the customer all the while taking more $$ out of our pocket, with absolutely no benefit to the environment.

It's blatantly obvious and even a complete imbecile should be able to work out that on an Australia wide basis Supermarkets will easily make 20-30 million a week out of this. If they only manage to get a single dollar from every person in Australia they will have made 20 million plus, and I know they already got way more than a dollar per person out of our four person family since this scam started.

I would have respected the idea of being environmentally friendly if they did not simply replace 'free' plastic bags with 'pay for' plastic bags that are worse for the environment.

It has nothing to do with resisting change and more with not wanting to be scammed or taken to be a fool.
I have 7 0r 8 Aldi bags about 3 yrs old that have been used weekly. I use them at any supermarket/farmers market/butcher/green grocer...
Old 30-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #236
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikai View Post
I have 7 0r 8 Aldi bags about 3 yrs old that have been used weekly. I use them at any supermarket/farmers market/butcher/green grocer...
^^^^^^ This.

But Whingers still gonna Whinge.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #237
prydey
Rob

Since its inception in SA over 9yrs ago, I reckon I've spent less than $5 on shopping bags. They last a long time. That's the cheap 10/15c ones. That's like 50c/yr. The whingers seriously need to get a grip.
Old 30-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #238
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Since its inception in SA over 9yrs ago, I reckon I've spent less than $5 on shopping bags. They last a long time. That's the cheap 10/15c ones. That's like 50c/yr. The whingers seriously need to get a grip.
Do you use those shopping bags as garbage bags too Prydey lol?

Serious question, im sure most people were using those freebie bags as garbage bags too so now a extra outlay for those.

All in all separate bags for shopping & garbage thats two outlays, just pointing that fact out lol.

Commercial decision over environmental concerns first & foremost imo by the supermarket chains as profits dwindle..

Hypocrisy is what i will happily whinge about ha ha!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 30-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #239
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Do you use those shopping bags as garbage bags too Prydey lol?

Serious question, im sure most people were using those freebie bags as garbage bags too so now a extra outlay for those.

All in all separate bags for shopping & garbage thats two outlays, just pointing that fact out lol.

Commercial decision over environmental concerns first & foremost imo by the supermarket chains as profits dwindle..

Hypocrisy is what i will happily whinge about ha ha!!

cheers, Maka
I knew someone would mention that.

I was buying bin liners well before the bag ban, so I don't see that as an additional cost.

Bin liners aren't a new product on the shelf so clearly there are a lot of people that already buy their bin liners.
Old 30-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #240
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work for one of the big two. I find that many of the people that complain about the bags being gone just don't understand the actual scale of usage and waste. My store (an average sized store) would go through 100,000-120,000 grey bags per week or 5.2 million + per year. When I explain the figures to the most resilient customers they are often shocked by the magnitude of bags.

Woolworths and Coles have a combined 1,800 stores across the country. When you do the maths on it, the amounts of bags being consumed is staggering.

Like a lot of people, I would use the grey bags for garbage at home. However, a large amount of people don't and either litter the bags or send them to land fill. I found many people took the bags for granted and I have had many people request bags when they are purchasing a single chocolate bar or gum. People will often place one or two bananas into a fresh produce bag and then request another bag.

The positive so far is the consideration people are now taking as to whether or not they really need a bag. Instead of putting out 10+ boxes of grey bags (1000 in each box), we are now doing 4-5 boxes (500 in each box) of reusable bags per night.

Even though there are many other wasteful aspects within these businesses, I do think this is a step in the right direction to reducing waste. We just need to find an environmentally friendly plastic alternative.

Also, you don't have to purchase the bags from the supermarkets if you are concerned that they are purely profiting off of them. There are many charities or stores that you can support by purchasing their bags. Or you can always ask for a box instead.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
Closed Thread