Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

I know that the Qld Government has replaced some of it's Camrys with i45s next year. Hyundai appears to be chasing the fleet business as well.

Last edited by Chopped; 16-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I know that the Qld Government has replaced some of it's Camrys with i45s next year. Hyundai appears to chasing the fleet business as well.
Yes.. Even the QLD police are starting to order Hyundai SUV's and Vans.. They get cheaper buy in, decent resale and a 5 year warranty...
Old 16-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Bobman
Regulator

Some other tidbits:

* Improved sound insulation - have they just used a thicker material or put it in more places?

* Lower grille on G6ET looks like a drain according to many non-car friends and this comment was made with the first FG, but it's more obvious on this update. I think it's grown too large.

* Both XR6 NA and XR6T now share the same 18" wheels; just like the BA XR6 NA/XR6T and XR8 did with their 17" wheels. Wonder how many will option up the new style 19" wheels? Considering there were plenty of XR6Ts with the standard audio system (no colour screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
it's just a pity the station wagon isn't there for companies like telstra.
I wonder why they couldn't use the Territory? Victoria police have plenty of them and it fills that void that the departing Falcon Wagon left as well as the small cargo area of the Commodore Sportswagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Given its the same bonnet & guards I wonder how many XR6 owners for example will simply get a FGII front bar, grill & lights as it will still be an XR6 & not a FPV look alike.
Probably the same amount who purchased BF front-ends on their BAs - only a few. Better off just buying the whole car

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 16-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

If I bought one I don't think i'd *want* 19" wheels. Even easier to damage a tyre/rim then with 18's.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
If I bought one I don't think i'd *want* 19" wheels. Even easier to damage a tyre/rim then with 18's.
Especially on Newcastle roads! I wonder if Ford have put some effort in the series 2 in relation to the poor build quality and interior plastics? I would imagine not as these issues still plague the new Territory and has been a shortcut Ford have taken since the AU. Even with that big 8 inch screen the interior still looks dated and just not right IMO. I assume the motor mags will agree.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Especially on Newcastle roads! I wonder if Ford have put some effort in the series 2 in relation to the poor build quality and interior plastics? I would imagine not as these issues still plague the new Territory and has been a shortcut Ford have taken since the AU. Even with that big 8 inch screen the interior still looks dated and just not right IMO. I assume the motor mags will agree.
The AU had much better quality plastics. It wasn't the rough on your skin type crap that they have used on the BA-onwards. The EF-EL had much better quality interior plastics too.

I'm no fan of the SFH windows either, compared to the quality Pilkington we had in the E-series, but what can you do!?

By the way, the over-size lower grille reminds me of:

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 16-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2. The below is what I would reasonably expect from an upgrade/refresh/MK2.

- Chassis tweaks and tyre package upgrade for FPVs. Clearly needed.
- With the upgrade of the interior, hopefully better quality control/materials.
- LED tail lights for premium models (G6E upwards, optional on G6).
- Obvious engine tweaks for emissions and efficiency, power increase not necessary.
- incremental technology updates using "One Ford." Not an overhaul but an introduction, a look at what the Mondeo has would be a start.
- Better brake compounds to reduce the shuddering effect some still get.

So basically the update is fine but I would hope there is effort put into quality control.
I don't see a need for more power.
I wouldn't expect too much major changes as this is not a new model it is a refresh. The new engines (ecoboost and LPG) are a good addition.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

russellw posted a comprehensive list on page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2. The below is what I would reasonably expect from an upgrade/refresh/MK2.

- Chassis tweaks and tyre package upgrade for FPVs. Clearly needed.
- With the upgrade of the interior, hopefully better quality control/materials.
- LED tail lights for premium models (G6E upwards, optional on G6).
- Obvious engine tweaks for emissions and efficiency, power increase not necessary.
- incremental technology updates using "One Ford." Not an overhaul but an introduction, a look at what the Mondeo has would be a start.
- Better brake compounds to reduce the shuddering effect some still get.

So basically the update is fine but I would hope there is effort put into quality control.
I don't see a need for more power.
I wouldn't expect too much major changes as this is not a new model it is a refresh. The new engines (ecoboost and LPG) are a good addition.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I find interesting is that people keep concentrating on comparing FG1 to FG2 and trying to measure the success of the new model purely based on that, the reality is that successes of the Falcon will mostly depend on the FG2 relative to what the competition offers. The way I see it next year and into 2013 competition will only get worse …
  • Toyota will be releasing a new Camry and Aurion, and we all know how well Toyotas sell.
  • Holden will keep selling commodores at discounted prices including these special edition models, while offering their usual yearly very minor updates to keep the product fresh.
  • Mazda will be releasing their new SKY updates to Mazda 6 which is supposed to bring very significant improvements in various mechanical areas of the vehicles, and we all know how well Mazda sell.
  • Lastly I think that Hyundai is looking seriously at the large (medium to large) car markets seriously now and they do have a bunch of models already seeling overseas in the pipeline for Australia.

All in all I personally believe the competition in the large or medium to large car market will only get fiercer in the years 2012 – 2013, and looking at the changes Ford has implemented in FG2 I’m not convinced that Ford has done enough to convince buyers to come back and start buying Falcons in volumes again … I’m not trying to bash Ford or anything but I’m just being a realist here.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2.
car-advise first look
http://www.caradvice.com.au/138129/f...es-and-details
Old 16-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
No mention at all of the FGII in todays Carsguide, only more mentions of doom and gloom with Falcon, but thats probably to be expected from them.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
No mention at all of the FGII in todays Carsguide, only more mentions of doom and gloom with Falcon, but thats probably to be expected from them.
They will probably have a full page spread next week on it.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Does that ICC and cluster look like a drop in replacement to FG1? Would be a nice addition to my BA
Old 16-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it, just seen the dealer release and there's some interesting surprises in there too
Old 16-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Love it, just seen the dealer release and there's some interesting surprises in there too
Sharing is caring!
Old 16-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Sharing is caring!
x 2, please.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sorry Dimka I missed the bit that was wrong with the FG2 compared to its rivals? Just price?
Old 16-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
MAD
Petro-sexual

I think for Ford to stay competitive with the Falcon, the included technology needs to be boosted.
Front/rear park assist, elec steering to allow for self parking, dynamic headlights, active head rests, radar cruise control, FLIR, lane change guidance, voice control.
Why play catch up when you can leap ahead.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

MAD honestly, Ford have the falcon at a price point, once you make the RRP to high people will buy euro's instead for the "prestige".

All of those wizz bang things will come online if Falcon merges with a GWRD, until then it will be one bit at a time. Functions coming through now Lpi, EB4 are deemed to hold more value for the company, and rightly so.

Also, show me a car in the Falcons class, large car, not some medium size car playing big that has all those options at the same price.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
MAD honestly, Ford have the falcon at a price point, once you make the RRP to high people will buy euro's instead for the "prestige".

All of those wizz bang things will come online if Falcon merges with a GWRD, until then it will be one bit at a time. Functions coming through now Lpi, EB4 are deemed to hold more value for the company, and rightly so.

Also, show me a car in the Falcons class, large car, not some medium size car playing big that has all those options at the same price.
Yeah I know it's all at a cost, but unfortunatley the 'Big Aussie car' is competing with big medium cars. You cant expect someone to buy something that is perceived as being bigger, when a medium size import (very close in size) will run rings around it with included features.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes but do we want to list the things a Falcon will do that a Mazda 6 wont? I agree people cross shop to a point.

The Falcon is competing against global cars, that kills it, but again I state why does the commy still sell? We are not that patriotic.

So either Holden are doing something Ford isnt, like discounting like made to fleets? Or something else is going on.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Love the look of the XR's, new front end is sweeeeeetttttttt.

What have Ford done to the pics of the G series cars, they look fake. I will have to wait to see one in the metal before I pass judgement as those pics give you no clue about how it actually looks.

Hoping to get a XR6 Turbo with luxury pack next year.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Love the look of the XR's, new front end is sweeeeeetttttttt.

What have Ford done to the pics of the G series cars, they look fake. I will have to wait to see one in the metal before I pass judgement as those pics give you no clue about how it actually looks.

Hoping to get a XR6 Turbo with luxury pack next year.
hmmm employee discounts
Old 16-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
hmmm employee discounts
Hell yeah.

I was considering a G6E Turbo also, but I much prefer the look of the XR now, whereas with FG1 I liked them both as much.

There was a sweet 50th anni G6E Turbo for sale in the second hand yards at work with 7000km on it going for 33 k. Considered it but i'm not ready to buy yet.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #25
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There was a sweet 50th anni G6E Turbo for sale in the second hand yards at work with 7000km on it going for 33 k. Considered it but i'm not ready to buy yet.
OMG! That’s is 33K for a car that’s almost new and was selling for well over 50K brand new just 6 months ago. That’s exactly the perfect example of depreciation that’s just way too big to let go no matter how good the car is.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
OMG! That’s is 33K for a car that’s almost new and was selling for well over 50K brand new just 6 months ago. That’s exactly the perfect example of depreciation that’s just way too big to let go no matter how good the car is.
Remember though that is the value of the car when you go and sell it. In the meantime, I know for myself with my FGXR50, they are worth much more than the market value. I'm not intending to sell mine for some years.

And also, if you bought a new Beemer or similar, look at how much you lose in the first years with those cars!
Old 16-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd assume that would be for Ford employees/families and not for general public. I think it works out as Ford employee pricing, less any payments made by current driver/staffer (eg. if a lease car) leaving balance. So it never started off as a car sold at retail pricing.
Old 17-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Thats an employee price, not for the general public.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All in all a good solid update of FG. XR styling looks to be a good variant of the Terri's look and G series is ok, but to my eye a step backwards from series 1. Still some of the more desirable options from FG1 are now standard and the range has received some worthwhile updates and options.

While some on here might like more techno toys, its a bit much to expect what is an old platform like Falcon to offer what a Mondeo has etc, but with what was available to them Ford have tried to tick the right boxes for buyers.

When you take into account the current sales of Falcon and the not inconsiderable coin Ford is spending on the driveline options for Falcon right now, this is a good solid update for FG and deserves to get more sales for Ford as a result.

Good stuff.

Dan
Old 16-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And if you look at the volume potential the falcon will now pick up from LPi and EB4 that wasnt previously there before then things are looking good. Add the Terry now back to where it was and that is a decent amount of Aussie Fords being sold, once all variants are online I cant wait to see the numbers vs Commodre.
Closed Thread