Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Default Auto Transmission gear indicator

Hello all, I'm trying to determine whether a car must have a gear indicator showing whether a tranmission is in Nuetral/Park/Drive/Reverse in order to be licensed in Western Australia?

The car in question is a 1953 Ford Crestline. It currently has a C4 auto very crudely connected to the column shift. It jumps out of and into gear a lot so we have decided to install an aftermarket floor shifter to solve the problem. Most of the shifters i've found online do not indicate what gear is currently selected, will this be an issue for licensing?

Looking at a Lokar shifter btw. Any help is much appreciated.

Tim
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default Re: Auto Transmission gear indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid View Post
Hello all, I'm trying to determine whether a car must have a gear indicator showing whether a tranmission is in Nuetral/Park/Drive/Reverse in order to be licensed in Western Australia?

The car in question is a 1953 Ford Crestline. It currently has a C4 auto very crudely connected to the column shift. It jumps out of and into gear a lot so we have decided to install an aftermarket floor shifter to solve the problem. Most of the shifters i've found online do not indicate what gear is currently selected, will this be an issue for licensing?

Looking at a Lokar shifter btw. Any help is much appreciated.

Tim
Don’t quote me on this but I’m pretty sure the shifter must be able to show what gear your in. I don’t know what shifters your looking at but all the after market T bar shifters I’ve seen have the gear indicator on them so I assume a colum shift should be the same.
Being an older car you might get away it. Good luck.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Im pretty sure the law requires indication of gear. Cars like B series that have two, you only need one to work to pass.
Same with manual shifters, if the knob is worn and the shift pattern isnt visible, its a defect.

But, it doesnt have to be a factory indicator. Get a sticker made or look on ebay!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Lokar also do a shift indicator which is part of the boot surround, this will solve your problem if need be..

https://www.lokar.com/shift-boot-indicators.html
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m not a fan of after market shifters

Because they look like aftermarket shifters, but if that’s your path lokar is the way to go. I can’t think of an aftermarket one that doesn’t as rego requires it in most places round the world

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Thanks for the replies, going with Lokar will post some pics when its finished
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The B+M ratchet shifters have a gear selector placard. Dakota digital make an electronic version too.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post