Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Prepping for a trip to the outback

Hi guys,

So I'm interviewing tomorrow for a job in Winton, Queensland. Out past Longreach.

Assuming I get the job, i'll be driving out there, and living there for six months.

A few months ago I did a drive to Queanbeyan and back, (1,200km each way), but didn't really do any prep for the journey. It was a last minute decision to go, but I was also conscious that there was a lot of traffic along the way and never very far from a town.

I believe it's proper highway all the way out there, but can still be quite remote.
What sort of prep should I be looking at doing?

I have a 2009 G6E, serviced it January, but having it looked at prior to leaving might not be a bad idea in any case.

I'm thinking a full spare tyre rather than (or in addition to) the space saver.

I'd like to have a 4wd, because the road to where I would be working is unsealed and 4wd only after rain (but carpooling with someone with a 4wd is probably an option), and I'd like to spend time exploring the region, camping, etc. But it's not a permanent gig, and I feel like i'd be downgrading vehicles, and if I was to return and sell the 4wd for another car, it would be yet another downgrade.

While I should probably wait until I get the job before worrying about the logistics of the trip, I can't help but think about it!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post