Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #121
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Angry Re: People opening their doors on your car in carparks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
What is your general response to someone opening their door on your car and/or how do you avoid it happening in the first place?

Last weekend I parked in a populated car park where the bays were pretty narrow. As I got out, a little girl was about to get in to the car beside me and I could see what was about to happen so I stood there and watched. Sure enough, she opened her car door and slammed it open on the side of my car.

She was young.. about 7 ish so probably didn't really know better but it left a ding in my door. Her mother was on the other side of the car putting a baby in a car seat but she saw what happened.
I spoke to the girl for a couple of minutes and told her that it's not OK to open your car door on someone else's car door. Her mother didn't scream and shout at me so seemed ok with me gently telling off her daughter, so that's a plus I suppose.

I didn't really pursue it because my car is covered in dings and scratches anyway.. and then I realised... all of those dings and scratches are from other people in car parks.
Almost every panel has a dent or a scratch. There has to be something that can be done to avoid this, surely? What do you lot do when you don't catch people in the act? Is there some really obvious answer to this that I haven't realised?
I park my car away from other cars and far from the shop entrance just to avoid such issues. However it ****es me off no end when I return to my car and find somebody has parked next to me when there are many other empty spots surrounded by empty spots in the immediate vicinity.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #122
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: People opening their doors on your car in carparks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I park my car away from other cars and far from the shop entrance just to avoid such issues. However it ****es me off no end when I return to my car and find somebody has parked next to me when there are many other empty spots surrounded by empty spots in the immediate vicinity.
^^ This.

I went to ALDI today and parked so far away that I was in a different time zone. Got back and some chap had parked his XR6 next to the GT.

So, could have been worse
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #123
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
^^ This.

I went to ALDI today and parked so far away that I was in a different time zone. Got back and some chap had parked his XR6 next to the GT.

So, could have been worse
That'd be okay , a bit of Ford bonding going on there . Maybe the GT was happy to mentor the XR6 and maybe the XR6 owner thought that his would be safe near a GT because you'd have to be a total tool to risk damaging one of those beauties.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #124
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Not sure if already mentioned, but the Focus apparently has inbuilt door protecting guards.
They automatically pop out when the door is opened more than 15cm:

Would be great if this sort of thing was made mandatory for all new cars sold.
That looks like a great idea, I too wish it was mandatory for all cars.
Sad thing is that this will protect other peoples' cars from being damaged by their own car but won't help their own car being damaged by other peoples'.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #125
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've mentioned it before but I always park between 2 cars already parked. Last time I got a ding on the Territory was when I didn't do that and left a spot to my left.
Old 22-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #126
TheGreenKugaaah
Always Hoon Responsibly

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I take a photo of both cars to my left and right in the car park so that if there are any dings I know which car to go all vigilante on next time I see it.