Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default temporary flashback

well i have just arrived home, and just witnessed a rare quick show that i suppose, in the 70's and 80's wasn't too uncommon.

in today's politically correct world, i am not condoning what i saw and heard, but i will report on it.

i am heading towards at T junction which has several lights associated with this demonstration of horsepower, would have started about 100 metres before i saw (and heard.....) them.

i could only just make out the marques and colour. details, forget it. BLACK HSV of VE (or VF?), and BLACK MERC/AMG. i had my windows up with music on and the noise of both these v8 was not unlike my memories of A.I.R back in the day of Dick Johnson/Brock/Bartlett touring cars. Crisp and very loud.

i didnt see the end of it as they were out of my line of sight, by the time i got to the intersection, but i do know this......If i had paid 150-250K for an AMG, built by the Fatherland, i would be asking myself why is this 'lesser brand', Bogan cars bonnet, next to my drivers mirror?

been a while since i seen something like this. sent me back a few decades.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: temporary flashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post

i didnt see the end of it as they were out of my line of sight, by the time i got to the intersection, but i do know this......If i had paid 150-250K for an AMG, built by the Fatherland, i would be asking myself why is this 'lesser brand', Bogan cars bonnet, next to my drivers mirror?

been a while since i seen something like this. sent me back a few decades.
Similar thoughts would have run through them smug current model AMG and M series drivers when a stock looking FG Falcon XT (370rwkw tuned fg-x driveline) tore past them like a ballistic missile. Happy days
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Said owner of the German marque wouldn't have given a single eff about the origin of the opposition.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has been a couple of years since I have seen an elusive new HSV vs new AMG drag race, but I still see traffic light drags every couple of weeks or so. Usually between two shot box cars thought
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Some Benz drivers are even prepared to accept a handicap in unofficial drags

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...king-350z.html
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a few AMG MB in and around my area. My experience is the majority of owners don't give a toss about the performance aspect, nor do they seem to care about the condition their cars are kept in or who washes them. The local carwash is full of hi po Euros on the weekend, being thrashed by 6 people at once all washing in a circular motion, sharing one bucket I believe it is more of a image thing or exclusivity purchase. I have a property maintenance business which takes me around the Nth Shore. Nearly every customer has one or more Euro cars, many of them are the 'hot model'. I have given up asking them about their cars because they are just a mode of transport for the majority & when questioned, they look at me like I am insane. The serious guys have a Caterham 7 or a 911 track car, and a stock M3 for daily duties. Many of these men buy their wives the AMG or Audi S line just to give them some extra fun or for the bragging rights. Then again, I'm just the poor gardener with a bloody big mortgage and a few cars that don't pass $30k in value..so what would I know?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the classic Adelaide rally, regularly runs through windy point, the 2 houses i have lived in since 1975 are 2 kms further down the bottom of the hill. the first hairpin from the last set of lights in suburbia. what that means is that for all that time, every wanna be race car driver has a bit of a squirt along here. that included every mbike rider in sa, turbo nissans etc, old school v8's and of course the latte sipping AMG, M3 etc euro set.

to see one of these high tech euro cars being used in this manner (old fashioned traffic light drag), instead of just being used for a country club visit, or on the way home from a manicure, just surprised me.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Some Benz drivers are even prepared to accept a handicap in unofficial drags

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...king-350z.html
Stupid 350z driver got no idea about e55's, he wont forget that in too much of a hurry lol, great vid GasOLane!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: