Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #61
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Sick leave should not be paid out. Most corproations do not pay out sick leave. My sick leave is paid into a fund when I leave the company I am currently working for and can be claimed at a latter date when you have no sick leave with your new employer. I think this situation would benefit both sides. The company still has to pay out the sick leave but the person needs to be sick and working to retrieve it.
Some corporations may CHOOSE to pay out sick leave because if some people take full advantage of it, it not only costs the company a day's pay, but a day's work too. So if by paying out sick leave they reduce absenteeism and the problems it creates, then the company is better off in the long run. I accept it is not the norm and those that get it - good for them.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #62
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Gobes32]I think most people seen the wage freeze coming, however, i still do not think it is fair for two people doing the same job to be worth different amounts purely based on the time they started at Ford's.[/QUOTE
that could be called seniority, we would like to assume that one day down the track when things are all hunky dory pay rises could be on the menu again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #63
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It all comes down to staff work ethics...
There are no work ethics at ford, that went out the window years ago.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #64
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
But Ford pay you out when you LEAVE, not much different to you really.....

Your right it isn't much different except I can't get mine in cash unless I take a sick day and I still need a doctors certificate to get it.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #65
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Your right it isn't much different except I can't get mine in cash unless I take a sick day and I still need a doctors certificate to get it.
Same as Ford mate......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #66
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
There are no work ethics at ford, that went out the window years ago.
And you base your priceless contribution to this thread on what ? _
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #67
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same as Ford mate......

Well there is nothing wrong with that system at all. It is a safety net if you get sick early on in your employment with a new employer.
Old 15-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #68
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
And you base your priceless contribution to this thread on what ? _
It's called first hand experience buddy
Old 16-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #69
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I haven't been here for a few days so I wasn't aware of this thread. I've read the whole thing now.

We have a wage freeze and two-tier wage here at Ford in the US. I'll tell you how things have gone here.

First, we re-opened the previous labor contract in 2005 to change work rules and freeze wages. Re-opening the contract may have been the first time it was ever done. In exchange for the concessions we got an annual bonus that would make up some for the wage freeze but still save the company money. This bonus gets taxed at a total rate of 40% so the workers only got a click above 1/2 of the money. The union haters should appreciate that.

This bonus was done away with earlier this year in the re-opening of the 2007 contract, along with any other bonuses that had been long standing, like the $600 (at the time) Christmas bonus. Also, our Cost of Living Allowance, an amount based on Federal Cost of Living calculations, was also elliminated. This amount was to keep the purchasing power of your wages in relation to economical inflation. It was a nice benefit but one I have not had anywhere else.

So for those of us that have been here our wages were frozen in 2005, and I don't know too many that had a problem with this. It was seen as a necessary step. In 2008 ALL bonuses of any sort were done away with as well as our cost of living allowance, which was a direct hourly pay cut.

I get one work week (40 hours) of "Personal Days" which are to be used as sick days or days for which you have personal or family issues to deal with. They do not roll over from one year to the next and you no longer get them paid out at the end of the year if you don't take the hours. I have no idea if they get paid out when you retire. I won't be retiring for at least 14 more years anyways.

When I hired into the company in 1992 I started at $13.50/hr. After a year and a half I got full wage of about $15/hr. Sixteen years later I can't see working on the line for $14/hr. today, which is the new wage for new hires. The $15/hr. was a real good wage 16 years ago. $14/hr now can be had in many places because that really isn't much anymore. It's nothing to sneeze at but for what is going to happen to your body on these jobs I can't see doing it for $28,000 a year before taxes.

About 1993 there was a new contract. In that contract the Union agreed to taking 3 years for new hires to get to full pay. This contract was voted down at our plant but passed nationally. The reason we voted no was because we wanted to avoid the animosity of two workers working side by side and being paid at different rates for performing the same work. I experienced this first hand one day.

I was working on the line and a co-worker and I were talking as our jobs needed to be performed simultaneously. I can't remember the circumstances but I think maybe the production schedule was eliminating production on Saturdays. Anyway, I said something about what our paychecks would be like without that money and he pointed out that his would be less. That reminded me that he hired in after the latest contract and he was not up to full pay. I mentioned my realization to him and he fired back with "Well, you voted for me to not have full pay yet." He had been employed for 2 years.

I fired back at him letting him know that our local voted against the contract for this very reason. He still complained that it passed nationally. I told him that we can't decide how the members at the other plants vote but the membership at our plant voted it down and didn't want him to have to wait 3 years to get to full pay while doing the same work as the ones that came before him.

Now we have people making 1/2 pay while doing the same work. These people will make up 20% of a plant's work force. As people in the higher wage tier retire or die a person in the lower tier can move up into that pay slot. If I had to guess I would say that this could take a new hire 10 years to achieve. If I were just entering the work force I don't know that I would take a job at Ford now. In that 10 years I might have a shoulder, elbow, or knee that will never work right again, without replacement surgery, and my lifestlye, with a family of 3 kids, would have been just barely making it. Not worth it in my opinion.

As for the notion of reducing pay for new people, what do the current workers care? I think that was illustrated in my experience with the co-worker at reduced pay. I have it so well here because of the workers before me that sacrificed through strikes and negotiations so that I can have it as well as I do. I only have it this good because of them. Those that hire in after me, and work with those on the line that hired in when I did, don't have that benefit anymore.

It is true that these are different and very difficult times and steps needed to be taken. The new wage for UAW workers is at or below the wage of the foreign transplant workers. This is now hailed as a victory by many politicians and citizens. Well, ok, I guess if getting one of the lower paying wages in your field is a victory then someone won. What happened to striving to get a job in your field that was one of the better paying wages? This Federal Government Administration has put into people's heads that success and betterment is a bad thing and is only achieved by ill means. This makes lower wages look more "right" to those that do not do what it takes to do well.

If jobs in your field pay $10 to $15 per hour, wouldn't you like to get the $15 per hour job? Is that shameful? It is being made that way here.

What a bad direction we are going in.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #70
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

$15 an hour.

You can make that at MacDonalds here.

In my situation now, with two littlies, $15 an hour wouldn't get me and the family by.

Thanks for posting Steve. Good to have your input.

A wage "freeze" for our blokes at Ford Aus looks a whole lot better than a "cut".

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #71
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Personally, I am fine with the freeze. The cut, well nobody likes it but I am ok with that too. It was about $1.10 USD per hour. All Christmas and performance bonus', ok, for now.

I don't like people working on the line for $14/hr though.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 16-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #72
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's called first hand experience buddy

Mmmmm......

Ok, care to eleborate ?

I'm interested to know why no one at Ford has a 'work ethic'....
Old 16-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #73
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

[QUOTE=mik]
Quote:
I think most people seen the wage freeze coming, however, i still do not think it is fair for two people doing the same job to be worth different amounts purely based on the time they started at Ford's.[/QUOTE
that could be called seniority, we would like to assume that one day down the track when things are all hunky dory pay rises could be on the menu again.
I'd bet the new guys get to keep the job and the 'overpaid' existing employees get shown the door.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #74
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

That raises an interesting point. When people speak about the old timers leaving, yeah, I think some have stayed too long. For others that have been here a long time, but not over stayed, when those people leave they take an amazing amount of experience and knowledge with them. There are tricks to fixing certain things, tricks for figuring out where panel damage is occuring, and many other "tricks of the trade" that walk out that door with them.

When we've had a couple hundred people leave at once, seasoned people, there is an immediate affect on quality. Issues take longer to remedy, repairs take longer, a broken down machine may have no one to fix it because the guy they automatically called on has now retired, and nobody else has the same familiarity with that equipment.

An Engineer with 25 years experience at Ford may have been let go and a guy with 3 years put in his place. Not only does he not know what he is doing, he also doesn't know how the guy he replaced did what he needs to handle now.

WOTDAH, I don't know how it is at Oz Ford, but here at US Ford there is plenty of work ethic. Yeah, you've always got your 2 1/2% of workers that you'd like to kick to the curb, but I will speak for myself and my 16 years with Ford.

On the line, while I had a job running in 4 seat bolts, among all the other tasks on that job, I would have a bolt get cross threaded or otherwise need to be replaced/repaired about every 3 to 6 months. I ran over 1,200 seat bolts a day. That's 7,200 bolts on the 6 day work weeks we were working. In 6 months that would be over 170,000 bolts before I had a problem with ONE. Every bolt had to be hand started before I ran it down with an air gun that sometimes would not click off when it hit torque. It would then take you for a ride and slam your knuckles into the edge of the seat frame. Time to get the gun fixed and hope you don't need stitches.

While I was in maintenance (Toolmaker) many times I stayed past the end of my shift with no pay to finish up a breakdown I was fixing. I could have dropped things and walked away and let the next shift fix it, but the production line was down and everyone was waiting on the equipment I was fixing. I got it done and told them to start the line. It was a matter of pride for me.

I gave up many weekends, too many, because of work that needed to be done while the line was down. Sure, the money was great, but that was my time and time with my family that I was giving up. Looking back on it I would not have done it so often. At the time I just knew the boss asked me to work because I was the "go-to" man when it came to drawing in CAD, programing the CNC, and a few other specialized tasks.

I designed, engineered, machined, welded, and assembled the aperatus that enabled the vehicles to be removed from their carriers after we retooled for a new vehicle. This was NOT my job to come up with the idea, design, and engineer the solution. It was a need my boss had and I love a challenge. I saved the company over $300,000 or more by accomplishing this for 2 weeks pay and metal that was already in our stock rack. So did I get a bonus? A gift? An award? I didn't even get a pizza.

Here's a link to this task I resolved on my own. It shows the design, CNC programing, fabrication, and a slideshow of the aperatus functioning, which it did flawlessly for the 3 years we produced this vehicle.

http://www.1001hobbies.info/1001hobbies_039.htm

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. I am not the only one I know that is like this, and there are some really committed people on the line that bend over backwards, sacrifice, and sometimes sacrifice their bodies to get something accomplished. Like I said, I don't know how it is at Oz Ford, but you state " There are no work ethics at ford, that went out the window years ago." and I have to take great exception to that.

What is your related experience?

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 16-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #75
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
That raises an interesting point. When people speak about the old timers leaving, yeah, I think some have stayed too long. For others that have been here a long time, but not over stayed, when those people leave they take an amazing amount of experience and knowledge with them. There are tricks to fixing certain things, tricks for figuring out where panel damage is occuring, and many other "tricks of the trade" that walk out that door with them.

When we've had a couple hundred people leave at once, seasoned people, there is an immediate affect on quality. Issues take longer to remedy, repairs take longer, a broken down machine may have no one to fix it because the guy they automatically called on has now retired, and nobody else has the same familiarity with that equipment.

An Engineer with 25 years experience at Ford may have been let go and a guy with 3 years put in his place. Not only does he not know what he is doing, he also doesn't know how the guy he replaced did what he needs to handle now.

WOTDAH, I don't know how it is at Oz Ford, but here at US Ford there is plenty of work ethic. Yeah, you've always got your 2 1/2% of workers that you'd like to kick to the curb, but I will speak for myself and my 16 years with Ford.

On the line, while I had a job running in 4 seat bolts, among all the other tasks on that job, I would have a bolt get cross threaded or otherwise need to be replaced/repaired about every 3 to 6 months. I ran over 1,200 seat bolts a day. That's 7,200 bolts on the 6 day work weeks we were working. In 6 months that would be over 170,000 bolts before I had a problem with ONE. Every bolt had to be hand started before I ran it down with an air gun that sometimes would not click off when it hit torque. It would then take you for a ride and slam your knuckles into the edge of the seat frame. Time to get the gun fixed and hope you don't need stitches.

While I was in maintenance (Toolmaker) many times I stayed past the end of my shift with no pay to finish up a breakdown I was fixing. I could have dropped things and walked away and let the next shift fix it, but the production line was down and everyone was waiting on the equipment I was fixing. I got it done and told them to start the line. It was a matter of pride for me.

I gave up many weekends, too many, because of work that needed to be done while the line was down. Sure, the money was great, but that was my time and time with my family that I was giving up. Looking back on it I would not have done it so often. At the time I just knew the boss asked me to work because I was the "go-to" man when it came to drawing in CAD, programing the CNC, and a few other specialized tasks.

I designed, engineered, machined, welded, and assembled the aperatus that enabled the vehicles to be removed from their carriers after we retooled for a new vehicle. This was NOT my job to come up with the idea, design, and engineer the solution. It was a need my boss had and I love a challenge. I saved the company over $300,000 or more by accomplishing this for 2 weeks pay and metal that was already in our stock rack. So did I get a bonus? A gift? An award? I didn't even get a pizza.

Here's a link to this task I resolved on my own. It shows the design, CNC programing, fabrication, and a slideshow of the aperatus functioning, which it did flawlessly for the 3 years we produced this vehicle.

http://www.1001hobbies.info/1001hobbies_039.htm

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. I am not the only one I know that is like this, and there are some really committed people on the line that bend over backwards, sacrifice, and sometimes sacrifice their bodies to get something accomplished. Like I said, I don't know how it is at Oz Ford, but you state " There are no work ethics at ford, that went out the window years ago." and I have to take great exception to that.

What is your related experience?

Steve
Great post! It's a shame not everybody has your work ethics. It sounds like you circumvented some union jobs to save your company some $.

It's such a tough call. People are people... you don't want to demoralize the people who actually build the cars as it's a fine line between having a dispirited crowd and achieving quality and ultimately growing sales.

Taking away the entitlements of the production personnel is never an easy decision and needs to be weighed up carefully in light of the objectives of the company. There are other alternatives. And I hope that Ford's management team have considered them all before embarking on this path.
Old 16-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #76
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In 6 months that would be over 170,000 bolts before I had a problem with ONE. Every bolt had to be hand started before I ran it down with an air gun that sometimes would not click off when it hit torque. It would then take you for a ride and slam your knuckles into the edge of the seat frame. Time to get the gun fixed and hope you don't need stitches.

Steve
This is what the office jockeys fail to realise. Everyday people in both Australia and the US, two of the most advance countries on the planet are putting their bodies on the line for minimal pay. Then they wonder why guys strike. Some of the safety injustices against myself and fellow workers have made my blood boil in the past. All you can do is complain and go back to work. It's the only thing that puts food on the table after all.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #77
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
tricks for figuring out where panel damage is occuring
Amen........ It sure isn't something that can be taught, you need to learn how the process works and that takes time, lots of time.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #78
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Amen........ It sure isn't something that can be taught, you need to learn how the process works and that takes time, lots of time.

You've got that right. We have a number of "magicians" that only got that way from years and years of experience. They're the ones that are called upon when something just cannot be figured out.

Thanks guys, I am glad its appreciated. I read a lot of what it is like where I work, written by people that have never been in here, and I wonder how they call themselves Journalists. Their articles paint an image for the people that read them and it is through this that old perceptions get perpetuated and the workers and companies get painted with a broad brush. So if I have a chance to present what's really going on in my position, from being one of the people that the articles are about, I am going to present it. I am glad so many here take the time to read my often long winded posts. Even more so I am glad that so many here feel I have credibility in what I say. I try to express everything in as intelligent a way as possible but once in a while something will get my ire and I'll throw a little smartass comment in.

Anyways, thanks again for appreciating what I can talk about. I know the accurate word will be spread by you guys.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 17-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #79
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Mmmmm......

Ok, care to eleborate ?

I'm interested to know why no one at Ford has a 'work ethic'....
I won't go into detail to much as I don't have time but it comes mainly down to unfair treatment and no work life balance. I have been at ford for around 15 years, I liked it to begin with I actually enjoyed my job but over time you begin to realise that full of dead wood mainly middle to upper management who are milking the system and there is so many of them. It seems to be if you are useless you get looked after if you are one of the smart ones you get treated like a slave with no reward or recognition.
Last year management decided to cann the Ford family fun day, which is a day (unpaid) when you celebrate the end of year and your kids get a Christmas present (which you pay for). They have also canned the rewards program which if you don't have a day off for 50 years and you are never late you might get a stubby holder if your lucky.
Long service rewards have been canned I think you use to get a watch or something if you have been there for 20 years. I have had one end of year bonus the whole time I have been there $200 dollars I think it was. I was forced to change shift. I was forced to change department completely different job role I had no say in it what so ever.
We are fed BS all the time that there is no money yet management still get there box seat at the footy ect, their lease deal is absolutely fantastic ours is s%^$. I can't even get a jacket for working in the cold factory but all the office workers get them. When a new model comes out the factory workers are last on the list to get a test drive. Management get 25 sick days a year we get 10, their supper benefits are better. It is all these little things, and more, that make it so depressing to work there.
The last round of head cuts hit the factory workers hard about 30% of them were let go. I don't know one staff member that was cut. If times were not so hard to find a job I would have resigned by now.
Old 17-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I'd bet the new guys get to keep the job and the 'overpaid' existing employees get shown the door.
yeah that sort of thing has been happening here and there, just down the road from me was bunch of guys with a picket line out front of there ex employers place , they got the bullet then the company rehired at lesser pay.....the good old days are gone i think :
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #81
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Great post! It's a shame not everybody has your work ethics. It sounds like you circumvented some union jobs to save your company some $.

Thanks for the compliment. I blame my parents for making me that way.

I did not circumvent any other union jobs. I functioned within the framework. At the time we were under Team Concept management and each trade did their own welding on their own projects, that's how I could do my own welding as a Toolmaker (machine trades). I liked this because my care could go into welding my project. The CAD drawing and CNC programing was part of my job. Well, at least for the 3 of us that know how to do it. Not all the Toolmakers are capable of this.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 17-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #82
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
I won't go into detail to much as I don't have time but it comes mainly down to unfair treatment and no work life balance. I have been at ford for around 15 years, I liked it to begin with I actually enjoyed my job but over time you begin to realise that full of dead wood mainly middle to upper management who are milking the system and there is so many of them. It seems to be if you are useless you get looked after if you are one of the smart ones you get treated like a slave with no reward or recognition.
Last year management decided to cann the Ford family fun day, which is a day (unpaid) when you celebrate the end of year and your kids get a Christmas present (which you pay for). They have also canned the rewards program which if you don't have a day off for 50 years and you are never late you might get a stubby holder if your lucky.
Long service rewards have been canned I think you use to get a watch or something if you have been there for 20 years. I have had one end of year bonus the whole time I have been there $200 dollars I think it was. I was forced to change shift. I was forced to change department completely different job role I had no say in it what so ever.
We are fed BS all the time that there is no money yet management still get there box seat at the footy ect, their lease deal is absolutely fantastic ours is s%^$. I can't even get a jacket for working in the cold factory but all the office workers get them. When a new model comes out the factory workers are last on the list to get a test drive. Management get 25 sick days a year we get 10, their supper benefits are better. It is all these little things, and more, that make it so depressing to work there.
The last round of head cuts hit the factory workers hard about 30% of them were let go. I don't know one staff member that was cut. If times were not so hard to find a job I would have resigned by now.

WOTDAH has a point here. I believe what he's saying. A lot of this used to go on here as well. There are some things I am not familiar with at all, but I am sure that is just because of the pond between us.

When you said "work ethic" that usually comes across as the outlook of the workers. It sounds like what you are talking about is how the company is run, not the work practices of the laborers.

Quote:
...you begin to realise that full of dead wood mainly middle to upper management who are milking the system ...
We had this. Those people are gone now. Those that were like that when Mulally came to Ford either learned how to get with the program or they were booted out of the door.

Quote:
It seems to be if you are useless you get looked after if you are one of the smart ones you get treated like a slave with no reward or recognition.
I've seen that too. However, about 3 years ago the company and the Union got together and booted 50 of the useless ones out the door. There's been a real culture change here.

As far as long service rewards go, I got a Chinese made keychain for 10 years and I got a kinda neat cheap pen for 15 years. Both came with a letter from Bill Ford who wanted to "..personally thank you for your service and committment to the Ford Motor Company..." when he doesn't even know I work for him.

Quote:
We are fed BS all the time that there is no money yet management still get there box seat at the footy ect,...
Sounds familiar, but here Ford owns the Detroit Lions football team and they play at Ford Field.

Quote:
I can't even get a jacket for working in the cold factory but all the office workers get them.
You know, that air conditioning can get cold sometimes. This would not fly at our plant. We have a minimum temperature that the plant has to be at and can't be any colder. Our Union got that. I think it's 65 F.

Quote:
When a new model comes out the factory workers are last on the list to get a test drive.
You get to test drive them?? Only some Engineers and a few hourly workers with specific jobs get to test drive them here.

Quote:
Management get 25 sick days a year we get 10, their supper benefits are better.
I get 5 sick days, and what's a supper benefit?? You get some food from the company?

Quote:
The last round of head cuts hit the factory workers hard about 30% of them were let go. I don't know one staff member that was cut.
Besides the buyouts that were offered salaried people that did not take a buy out and did not accept a position at another plant were tapped on the shoulder, escorted by security to the front office, and their personal items were boxed up for them, and they were shoved out the door. We actually had a very big head cut in management here. Too big I think.

It is obvious that there are some differences between Oz Ford and US Ford. It seems there are changes that have occured here that have not been heard of there yet. Its understandable since our plant is a stone's throw (about 3 hours) from Dearborn. Hopefully the plant manager at your place will believe Mulally's ideas and desires for the company or else he will be going the way of the 2 or 3 before him.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 17-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #83
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You get to test drive them?? Only some Engineers and a few hourly workers with specific jobs get to test drive them here.
The only thing I can think of is there is a program where people higher up will take the car home for the night and then the next day they are to report any problems that the car may have. Wotdah is right, the program is abused and there is nothing of value in it.

Quote:
I get 5 sick days, and what's a supper benefit?? You get some food from the company?
It might be superannuation (government mandated pension plan), they may get a higher % then the minimum 9%. Mind you I never got more then 9%. If it was food it was cheaper to go across the road the the milkbar or food shops for food...it also tasted like food and not the rubbish they would serve at the canteen....mind you HO was much better.
Old 17-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #84
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

What I mean by work ethic is that there is no motivation to achieve, I come to work and get paid and that is it. I really don't care anymore because my career and shift has been forced upon me, it is not what I chose to do.
My line of work is very close to future models and I don't get the chance to drive one. Yet some first year engineer drives one home every day. What I meant to type was superannuation not 'supper' don't know if you guys have it over there but it is a percent of your income paid by the company to a trust fund for your retirement
Old 17-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #85
prydey
Rob

whats a pay rise? not all companies up the pay rates to coincide with the cpi!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #86
gtfpv
GT

OHIO XB . well said my friend . i wish i could say it like you do . . I'M sure 4V MAN and flappist will be happy with what ford have done over there.

i'm glad you have the intelligence and nobility to tell it like it is . it is very much going the same way here . and it's very surprising to see how people here actually support it . ohh well i guess it's everybodies loss. however . thankyou for posting . yout to WOTDAH . cheers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #87
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
OHIO XB . well said my friend . i wish i could say it like you do . . I'M sure 4V MAN and flappist will be happy with what ford have done over there.

i'm glad you have the intelligence and nobility to tell it like it is . it is very much going the same way here . and it's very surprising to see how people here actually support it . ohh well i guess it's everybodies loss. however . thankyou for posting . yout to WOTDAH . cheers.

Thanks for making my head big. I appreciate that.

It sounds like a lot of what's happened here is making its way there as far as changes to methods of operations. I am not surprised as Mulally is all about "One Ford", though the Mexican workers were asked to take a 50% pay cut from $5/hr to $2.50/hr. I am bothered by that. Even in Mexico where wages are so much lower, how little does anyone expect someone to do that kind of work for? The wage cut was pushed on the premise of "competitiveness." Remember, I said companies are using this term to kill workers wages. They were told they need to be competitive with the Chinese that are working for around $1/hr, give or take 25 cents. The Mexican workers said they were glad to do this to stay competitive.

The best way to knock someone down is to get them to be grateful for doing it to them.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 18-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #88
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

My area didn't even get a chance to take a drive of the FG, because they mistakenly "forgot" that we didn't have a drive. They knew very well we didn't but because they have cut employee numbers down to the bone we have are always understaffed and can't spare anyone.

When the union bought the issue up they claimed they had no cars to use. So a car manufacturing company with a fleet of hundreds of new vehicles has no spare ones so a few people can take them for a quick drive. And they wonder why moral is at rock bottom.

I definately agree with your comments about management, some of them just stand around and talk crap all day long and contribute nothing, yet drive home in lease cars and cash their fat pay checks. Hard work is never rewarded, having a piece of paper that says you went to Uni is worth more than competence, experience and a clue about what your job entails.

I hope that FoA follow Ford US and clear out all the dead wood, it would be amazing how much money the company could save by removing all the useless parasites that contribute nothing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #89
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Ummmmm......

"Work force" cuts were 25 %
Staff cuts were 25 %
Management cuts were about 30 %.

Through my work, I personally know of many salaried people at Ford who went, and several managers who lost their jobs also.

You could have taken a "package" last November if you wanted one.....

The "deadwood" in management are gone, those that are left are 'under the pump" through no fault of their own.
Old 19-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #90
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
I understand what you are saying mate and as a union member I will be happy to take a wage freeze, I am more worried about supporting my employer than trying to screw an extra $30 a week out of them. But my moral issue is that you are effectively screwing over the next generation of workers by denying them equal pay. If you are worth $20 an hour to do a set task, then the next person hired, if able to do the same job competently, should be entitled to the same pay also.
Here Here.
It seems modern man has forgotten the moral principals our forefathers fought so hard for, and the main one was 'Equality'.
An employee has a vested interest to protect/honor their employer TO A DEGREE, however should they be punished for the wrong doing of management who have clearly failed to predict/respond to changing markets, products, technologies etc?. After all, it is their job (managements) that should bear the responsibility for all. Its the decisions they make which steers the company in either direction.
Sure, they take a wage freeze, though its slightly different being frozen on say $50k versus $125+k.
Remember, no major gave you a pay rise coz they liked you - it was faught for. out: out: out:

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN

Last edited by fte50; 19-07-2009 at 03:14 AM.
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post