Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
v8_351
Starter Motor

Default EB to AU conversion done!

Hi all
Last weekend I put an AU engine into my EB to replace the crap MPI 3.9 and all I can say if anyone is considering this conversion don't hesitate. Feels much more torquey in all gears, engine revs easily to 5000 on LPG AND better economy on petrol and gas...win win situation! I reused the original manifolds and belt setup and it took 1 day and 800 bucks all up. Thanks to Sphell for the useful info on the belt setup

v8_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

good work...... i'll be doing the same conversion on an EA or EB for a daily later in the year / early next.

just so much more reliable and you can do the conversion for less than it costs to reco...:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

good work dude. how did you go with the sump/k-frame modification.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
SupahStah
Tha Stah

I heard you can use an XF sump, no probs - bolts streight up
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahStah
I heard you can use an XF sump, no probs - bolts streight up
seriously doubt it....they're a completley different motor....

all you have to do is "either" grind a slight amount off the fromt of the sump or remove and relocate the front bar on the k frame forwards
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
v8_351
Starter Motor

i ground the ribs off the front of the sump...it's got at least 10mm clearance and dropped straight in
v8_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
BaYa
Just Cruzing

How much work was involved and whats required.
How much did the au engine set u back, was it just the engine or was it engine and box because i was thinking of doing the same when my 3.9 mpi dies.

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

very interested in this, does anyone have any pics of what the "ribs" are that get ground off the sump.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
xd351md

Default Re: EB to AU conversion done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5L
very interested in this, does anyone have any pics of what the "ribs" are that get ground off the sump.
I agree, as I am interested in doing this to my XG Ute. But i wish to keep all the existing XG accessories, log manifold and stuff. Was just going to shove the block and head in and bolt all the XG stuff back on. Does the computer need to change or is this just a straight swap / sump grind if using the existing XG gear? Cheers....
xd351md is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Re: EB to AU conversion done!

If its a early Ea-D series its as simple as a flap wheel on a grinder and 4 minutes of work to grind off front casting mark. You can them bolt up all your old accessories and belt system if you want but id convert to serpentine belt while your going.

If its EF+ you need to take the sump off and cut it to clear the K frame. Its pretty simple to do.

Either way, you just drop in your dizzy, set the timing if its a dizzy setup and plug everything in. I usually keep the old loom as the AU can have different connectors.

What K frame does a XG ute use? I just put a AU into a XY with a combination of mounts as to clear BBM on shock tower, the sway bar fouls the sump though so it needs to be lowered a fair bit.