Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Isle of Man deaths

The greatest test of man & machine is not over & sadly there has been two fatality's already. For anybody not familiar with this race, take a few minutes to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe0igW8jNyU&t=16s & if you enjoyed that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXR8Df_Bml0
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
ford12

Default Re: Isle of Man deaths

Gotta be some of the maddest fkrs on earth there
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
Gotta be some of the maddest fkrs on earth there

That is what makes the Isle of Man TT so appealing - these guys are all insane.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto

Last edited by Syndrome; 05-06-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The ultimate battle of V's machine.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those boys have a big hairy set!
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

It's the one race where the only safety barrier is talent. A helmet and race suit wont help much when you go head to head with a cobblestone fence or off an embankment, but it is one of biggest specticals on 2 wheels. It's just nuts.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tennis - make 30 mistakes and still win.

Isle of Man - make one mistake and you end up inside a restaurant.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ultimate test of ones ability and confidence in ones self.
I love it - closest we can come to gladiatorial sport
according to the nanny state they should all be dead - speed kills and all that.

Doesn't always pay off though...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/44083363
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

If you are lucky...

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Still the greatest race on earth bar none,somewhat old-ish and sold my last race bike a few years ago but was fortunate enough to have raced here over the ditch in a few street races NZ being one of the few places left on earth that still allows such things its one thing to race on a track very much another through a built up area let alone do what those guys do when they get outta town,fwiw a clip of Hickman doing a lap
https://youtu.be/sOZwHD7nrAY
Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only place where the bikes go faster than the helicopters trying to film them, love watching the TT, especially when they get air coming over some of those rises. Breathtaking to say the least.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

What sort of person eats dead motorcyclists?
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #13
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
What sort of person eats dead motorcyclists?
The guy that says ''waiter, there's a helmet in my soup''
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Still the greatest race on earth bar none,somewhat old-ish and sold my last race bike a few years ago but was fortunate enough to have raced here over the ditch in a few street races NZ being one of the few places left on earth that still allows such things its one thing to race on a track very much another through a built up area let alone do what those guys do when they get outta town,fwiw a clip of Hickman doing a lap
https://youtu.be/sOZwHD7nrAY
I was never lucky enough to road race, just dirt bikes as a kid. You must have some great memories of the road racing, it certainly takes a certain breed. Apart from the many episodes of absolute stupidity on my behalf using the states tollways & highways as my own grand prix track, I was lucky enough to get an invite to a Kawasaki release in 2001 at Phillip Island. They bought a swag of their new sports bikes & the media & the rest of us got to fang around on them. There was a protocol to follow, we had to sign our life away for insurance purposes and obviously you needed proper gear & a full road licence. It was a lot of fun and I had a couple of moments but we all survived the day. I have always admired the mental strength of pro racers and now I watch the Phillip Isle GP with a new found respect.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #15
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I was never lucky enough to road race, just dirt bikes as a kid. You must have some great memories of the road racing, it certainly takes a certain breed. Apart from the many episodes of absolute stupidity on my behalf using the states tollways & highways as my own grand prix track, I was lucky enough to get an invite to a Kawasaki release in 2001 at Phillip Island. They bought a swag of their new sports bikes & the media & the rest of us got to fang around on them. There was a protocol to follow, we had to sign our life away for insurance purposes and obviously you needed proper gear & a full road licence. It was a lot of fun and I had a couple of moments but we all survived the day. I have always admired the mental strength of pro racers and now I watch the Phillip Isle GP with a new found respect.
Yep and some painful memories to The wonderful thing about the TT is it combines street racing and sheer lunacy ie as i said over here we still (less than we used to have) have events that pretty much close towns ie the Greymouth st races,basically the center blocks of said town are closed by way of basic mesh fencing and a few token hay bales to satisfy the do -gooders etc and its all on something very satisfying to go past a police station in normally a 50k zone at 130k on one wheel,wont win a race but does provide memorys. Old clip but pretty much sums up what its all about over here,has evolved over the years and back when this was shot the off road section for super tards was a new addition.
https://youtu.be/XiPs6frrW5s

Last edited by 98TLS; 05-06-2018 at 11:49 PM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #16
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a lighter note my mate from Adelaide David( davo ) Johnson got 4th place in both races so far . woo hoo
Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
On a lighter note my mate from Adelaide David( davo ) Johnson got 4th place in both races so far . woo hoo
Go you good thing!
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Been watching Guy martins new shows on foxtel,apparently he has done well in this race.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Very appropriately named place the Isle Of Man, where men do manly things, and wussy things like safety are left at the doorstep.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guy Martin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-_OeVYup0&t=95s
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Fwiw a clip of Jay Lawrence at cliffhanger hill climb held up in the Nth Isle,never done it myself,know a few blokes that have and found it pretty intense.
https://youtu.be/KubGVzd64rg
Old 06-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

It is an amazing event. Mind boggling watching it.
I recall watching old Agostino clips long ago, in the day when most top pro flighters would give it a go.
Good ol Bazza stirred the pot as many would know but I'll never forget his quote - "This is not racing; this is a suicide mission."
After what he had gone through I couldn't blame him (and improved tracks all over the world) and that push getting off the WC schedule burned alot of bridges.
In saying that, what Legends are those who keep competing at this event and dynasty's we've seen.
I'm at awe of it to this day, gladiators.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Quote:
After watching his foxtel stuff and this ive come to the conclusion,hes either got a giant set of testies or hes crazy lol
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The famous Yamaha TZ-750 set the racing world on fire & was untouchable on the track. This bike had repeated success at Isle of Man & the GP circuits of the world. Anybody who didn't respect this bike learnt the hard way every time. The power to weight ratio these bikes had was incredible, remembering the limited handling compared to today's track bikes with traction control, abs & hi tech suspension.
Here is a run down on the bike http://www.trademotorcycles.com.au/yamaha-tz750-review/
Here is a onboard lap of Isle of Man on a TZ750.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BpiqF4a1A&t=222s
One of the greatest to ever conquer the Isle of Man is the incomparable Joey Dunlop. Sadly, he also lost his life on a wet track whilst leading a 125cc race after already winning two bigger classes. His younger brother Robert Dunlop also died during practice coming off at high speed during 250cc practice. His son Michael Dunlop won the race and dedicated it to his late father. Michael is still alive and was the first rider to break the 17 minute lap time averaging 133.9mph over 16:53sec and still races today.

Last edited by au350hp; 06-06-2018 at 03:20 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
After watching his foxtel stuff and this ive come to the conclusion,hes either got a giant set of testies or hes crazy lol
Crazy as, His world record speedrun on the bicycle behind the supertruck on the beach is my all time favourite.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #26
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The famous Yamaha TZ-750 set the racing world on fire & was untouchable on the track. This bike had repeated success at Isle of Man & the GP circuits of the world. Anybody who didn't respect this bike learnt the hard way every time. The power to weight ratio these bikes had was incredible, remembering the limited handling compared to today's track bikes with traction control, abs & hi tech suspension.
Here is a run down on the bike http://www.trademotorcycles.com.au/yamaha-tz750-review/
One of the greatest to ever conquer the Isle of Man is the incomparable Joey Dunlop. Sadly, he also lost his life on a wet track whilst leading a 125cc race after already winning two bigger classes. His younger brother Robert Dunlop also died during practice coming off at high speed during 250cc practice. His son Michael Dunlop won the race and dedicated it to his late father. Michael is still alive and was the first rider to break the 17 minute lap time averaging 133.9mph over 16:53sec and still races today.
Nice.When a young fella this bloke was something of a hero to me and theres still much to be liked about Bevel drive Ducs.
https://youtu.be/Fkala1Z0lmQ
This to is worth a watch
https://youtu.be/daCth-fI9j8
Old 06-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #27
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Mental motor and a spaghetti frame just to top it off rubbish brakes Wonderful clip of one at the Isle for sure.Can remember my first outing on a Kawasaki Triple,being used to 4 stroke singles or 4 cylinders the total lack of engine braking was disconcerting to say the least banging the thing down a couple of gears heading into a corner seemed to make it go quicker
Old 06-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #28
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

When I was younger maybe. But now over 50 I way up the risk.

Rode stupid in my 20s and 30s. And I mean stupid.

But isle of man there is NO margin for error. Which really is crazy.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly I heard Dan Kneen died. Who was the other one?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #30
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adam Lyon 26, apparently his first time on the Isle. Tragic stories every year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...f-man-44334611
3 users like this post: