Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #421
Victor1

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Yes the gearbox is different and they drive great.
I thought I was going to go the manual but after driving the auto I was impressed so much I bought 1 but still waiting
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #422
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Focus has a normal auto trans and drives beautiful and has more power. I'm very happy with my 2013 manual Focus but wouldn't hesitate to buy a current auto car.
FERG_51 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #423
jacksparrow
Starter Motor

Thank you, I hope it restores some faith in Ford.....
jacksparrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #424
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrow View Post
Ford recently offered me a 2016 Focus Trend. They want my faulty shuddery 2012 Fiesta Zetec and $14.000 !! My Fiesta has done 30.000klm, it is going to have 3rd Transmission fitted, by Ford. Still shudders and pig roots ! Not happy with my faulty car or offer!
For interest sake, I was told there is now a different Transmission fitted in the 2016 Focus, that will not have these issues. True ? I would love a quick response if someone could please. Or anyone own one ? So disappointed with Ford :(
Was this offer from the ford dealership or from ford Aus?
To me it sounds like a stock sorta deal not even a loyalty deal.
Do you have a case number?
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #425
matrx7
Lawnmower

there's no way I would be paying $14k to replace your faulty car, I'm currently going through this all with my partners fiesta she bought the car new in 2011, problem is she complained about the transmission at her first service and was just told "that's how it is and the car is just getting used to the way you drive" since then there have been ongoing issues but she's just been shrugging it off as a it being "just the way it is" , now with the class action going on, its obvious there are problems everywhere. Here's hoping ford come to the party.
matrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #426
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrx7 View Post
there's no way I would be paying $14k to replace your faulty car, I'm currently going through this all with my partners fiesta she bought the car new in 2011, problem is she complained about the transmission at her first service and was just told "that's how it is and the car is just getting used to the way you drive" since then there have been ongoing issues but she's just been shrugging it off as a it being "just the way it is" , now with the class action going on, its obvious there are problems everywhere. Here's hoping ford come to the party.

What exactly are her ongoing issues?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #427
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford CRC also offered my wife a new car at a cost... when she was trying to solve the issues on her Focus.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #428
marco_b
Starter Motor

Slightly off topic I guess but does the DSG in a VW Golf GTI suffer from the same problems or is this issue just a Ford problem. Thanks in advance.
marco_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #429
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_b View Post
Slightly off topic I guess but does the DSG in a VW Golf GTI suffer from the same problems or is this issue just a Ford problem. Thanks in advance.
Same supplier. Very similar system. They will move away from these after the headachesbits been causing.
Old 30-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #430
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OMG. Volkswagen DSG issues have been all over the news for many years now. They're supposedly fixed on new models but on the Golf forums you still get people having problems.

(I avoided any type of DSG box and went with a traditional auto for that very reason.)

PS: Avoid CVT's as well.....

Last edited by murcod; 30-06-2016 at 12:45 AM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #431
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
They did a blanket recall removed all synthetic oil and refilled with a mineral based oil.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #432
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW said to me the synthetic oil caused electrical component failure in the transmission.
Probably like the 1990 commodores that used the wrong factory coolant mix and cause corrosion until they changed it.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #433
Pursya

I didn't see this anywhere, though I didn't read all 15 pages.
http://www.motoring.com.au/ford-unde...action-102268/
This is a class action for all those with these auto transmissions
As it looks like there is no resale value as the trade know all about the issues, then it may be the only viable alternative.
I know the link says May, but this action is just beginning in court so I reckon you can still get into the group.

*edit* here's the link to at least be informed;
http://fordclassaction.com.au

*edit edit* make sure you read and understand this page;
http://fordclassaction.com.au/faq/
Particularly the Win/lose sections and the sections 8&9.
They are lawyers after all.

Last edited by Pursya; 30-06-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #434
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

As posted in the class action thread.
The key to a refund.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...a69a8e4eb0cf5e

Old 29-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #435
alokin123

has anybody else recently got a letter from ford about a software update required to the computer chip inside the TCM needing to be done?
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #436
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
has anybody else recently got a letter from ford about a software update required to the computer chip inside the TCM needing to be done?

Yes there is a new calibration out. However, depending on what calibration is in yours, it won't make it drive any differently or smoother. This calibration is to allow the tcm to identify and store faults faster to help diagnose any drivability issues that may occur. It has nothing to do with clutch shudder.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #437
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
post 223 in the class action thread.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1451203&page=8

Old 29-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #438
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As of the middle of November we will be up to clutch number 4, with the last 3 services requiring new clutches. We will be discussing with the dealership about getting mum into a new Focus when it's fitted.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 02:47 AM   #439
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

There is a new level clutch now released for these vehicles, unless there is oil contamination it should sort out most of the concerns with the abnormal shuddering..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #440
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What?
Are you saying this will fix all the problems.
When it did it come out?
We had clutch number 3 inserted about 6 weeks ago 3 clutches in 52000 they die at about every 16000kms.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #441
KosCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
There is a new level clutch now released for these vehicles, unless there is oil contamination it should sort out most of the concerns with the abnormal shuddering..
Just following up on this. Have a new LZ now but also still have the LW too. The LW is running fairly well with the gearbox. To get the new level clutch, I presume it has to go in and get the old clutch removed? Do you know if you can just go in and request the new clutch?
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #442
KosCo

Hi all - have just got our new LZ Focus Titanium with the Tech pack. Had it for a couple of days and it seems to be really good.
Ok - 2 questions that some may have an answer for --

Question 1 - as per page 40 of the Owners Manual, the car is supposed to have autolocking of the car doors when the car is traveling. Mine do not seem to be working and have been through the instructions on page 40 to activate this without success Any help here much appreciated.

Question 2 - The sat/nav - when I add a new address to the Favorites, it just adds it to the end of the list. Therefore the Favorites list is not in any sequence beyond the order as they were added. The Sync system in the LW Focus would always arrange the Favorite list in alphabetical sequence and thus helped make it easier to find a particular Favorite. The Sync 3 Favorite system seems to be a step backward with an unsorted list and makes it painful to find a particular favorite. Any comments or solution on this?
Old 29-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #443
KosCo

Just realised that I put the previous message in here - have now put the questions in the LZ Focus Thai Model section.
Old 29-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #444
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
What?
Are you saying this will fix all the problems.
When it did it come out?
We had clutch number 3 inserted about 6 weeks ago 3 clutches in 52000 they die at about every 16000kms.
From what I understand it will fix 99% of the clutch shudder issue. It has a higher heat resistant material on the clutch to prevent slip when the clutch gets hot. Note if you have oil contamination it wont make any difference...

It came out about a month ago..
Old 29-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #445
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Just following up on this. Have a new LZ now but also still have the LW too. The LW is running fairly well with the gearbox. To get the new level clutch, I presume it has to go in and get the old clutch removed? Do you know if you can just go in and request the new clutch?
To get a new level clutch, your vehicle has to have a clutch shudder with a slip ratio greater than 250 RPM between 1st and 2nd gears. They will not replace it for no reason and why would you. If you are having no issue with clutch shudder than best leave it alone.
Old 29-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #446
Alpha_omega
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_omega View Post
I thought it could be the TCM, will only know when the codes are scanned, where does it say about the 10 year warranty for this, the warranty extension from ford talked about only the clutch and seals.

I emailed ford and advised them to work with the dealer and they promptly called me up and have assigned someone to follow up on this, they will call the dealer and follow up once they diagnose the fault. (The lawsuit must be making them act extra nice)

Let see how this plays out.
Its been a while, but an update on this, the TCM was faulty and they replaced it on the same day, Ford HQ followed up the next day to make sure everything was fine, so far its been going good, the service manager was saying there was two other cars on that same day with TCM Issues as well.
Alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #447
SpoolMan

Quote:
If you are having no issue with clutch shudder than best leave it alone.
It will only be a matter of time, if it was my car I be pushing for the replacement.

Old 29-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #448
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_omega View Post
Its been a while, but an update on this, the TCM was faulty and they replaced it on the same day, Ford HQ followed up the next day to make sure everything was fine, so far its been going good, the service manager was saying there was two other cars on that same day with TCM Issues as well.
Yours a diesel?
Old 29-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #449
Alpha_omega
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Yours a diesel?

Petrol
Alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #450
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From what I understand it will fix 99% of the clutch shudder issue. It has a higher heat resistant material on the clutch to prevent slip when the clutch gets hot. Note if you have oil contamination it wont make any difference...

It came out about a month ago..

I think that the reason the clutches die is that get oil contaminated.
So unless they have a permanent fix on oil getting on the clutches won't this new clutch die as well?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post