Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #241
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillNZ
So the wagon is to be no more. I was sad to hear it but had not thought much about it until last week when on holiday in Sydney. I was surprised to see that almost all the Taxis were Falcons and many of them wagons. I assumed they use wagons because of the large luggage space especially compared to a sedan with LPG. I wonder what those taxis will be replaced with?
I live in Sydney & spent my whle life in Sydney & I think to say "many of them wagons" is not right..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #242
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Well today is the day. The last falcon wagon ever is being born.
Due to roll of the end of the production line mid next week (if all goes well)
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #243
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sad ending for a brilliant car.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #244
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This week??? I thought they stopped production at the end of June??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #245
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Well today is the day. The last falcon wagon ever is being born.
Due to roll of the end of the production line mid next week (if all goes well)
Are they going to shove a few 'special' items into it seeing as its the last one, or is it an ordered car?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #246
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Here's hoping they'll bring it back in the future.
Shame to end such a car, nothing else comes close, and probobly wont.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #247
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Good riddance I say.

The B series wagon is an absolutley horrid vehicle in my opinion, doesn't flow together at all. Look at how many Holden Commo wagons there are on our roads (pre VE) compared to Falcon wagons and you can't argue the point.

Now ofcourse this is a Ford Forum and I know i'm going to get crap for saying this which in a way is sad, but if the B series wagon was anything to go buy then people should've seen this coming a long time ago.

:
Here here!

The Falcon wagon is a good work horses. Thats it. Private buyers want something with a bit of flare and style. Such a beast hasn't existed since the 60's IMHO.

Ford have neglected the wagon since AU with horrid styling and a suspension design by Cobb and Co. The current crop just want to make me puke.

As has been said - good riddance.
Old 18-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #248
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Here here!

The Falcon wagon is a good work horses. Thats it. Private buyers want something with a bit of flare and style. Such a beast hasn't existed since the 60's IMHO.

Ford have neglected the wagon since AU with horrid styling and a suspension design by Cobb and Co. The current crop just want to make me puke.

As has been said - good riddance.
Station wagon and Fairlane suffered and died so that Territory would get the funding to become reality and prosper,a conscientious decision on Ford's part to change market sectors and follow sales.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #249
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Station wagon and Fairlane suffered and died so that Territory would get the funding to become reality and prosper,a conscientious decision on Ford's part to change market sectors and follow sales.
I would'nt give Ford the credit (wink)

Falcon Wagon was neglected long before AU, its just that the neglect was so obvious when AU was released. By BA, it was a sad joke. In 2010 it was an outright embarrassment.

Fairlane neglect set in at the time of BA. Ford had spent all their money on styling and mechanical upgrades that there was no money left for the LWB models. This is a shame. The Fords were king of luxo barge at one time.

Territory? We'll they've dropped the ball on that one haven't they? Long overdue for a major styling update. Sales are on the slide. Correct me if I'm wrong but that POS Captiva is either outselling it, or getting close.
Old 18-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #250
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I would'nt give Ford the credit (wink)

Falcon Wagon was neglected long before AU, its just that the neglect was so obvious when AU was released. By BA, it was a sad joke. In 2010 it was an outright embarrassment.

Fairlane neglect set in at the time of BA. Ford had spent all their money on styling and mechanical upgrades that there was no money left for the LWB models. This is a shame. The Fords were king of luxo barge at one time.

Territory? We'll they've dropped the ball on that one haven't they? Long overdue for a major styling update. Sales are on the slide. Correct me if I'm wrong but that POS Captiva is either outselling it, or getting close.
i gather from your comments you place 'form' well ahead of 'function'!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #251
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
This week??? I thought they stopped production at the end of June??
The petrol models died then, but the LPG wagon was allowed to continue. It'll definitly be put to the scrapheap soon. Hopefully this will mean a much simpler production line, so Ford can produce more Falcon sedans.
Old 18-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #252
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
LOL, if we all preferred function over form, why not just just use a donkey.

I like both. And so does most private buyers.

Utilitarian function does doesn't cut it on its own in todays market. Just take a look at Commodore Sportswagon. They look terrific, not as practical, but outsell the Falcon Wagon 100 to 1 on a rainy Sunday.

Falcon Wagon is a work horse favoured only by the Yellow TAXI co and Telstra.

(edit - and Telstra only started buying Falcons because Holden gave their wagon the ar$e).
Old 18-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #253
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
You can read between the lines from his post and say that Ford has failed on the 'function' front as well. I mean, why would a family car buyer buy a Falcon wagon when there are next to no content options available for it? Sure in terms of its ability to lug cargo its a winner, but private car buyers are looking for more than that. Which is the reason why cars like the Captiva et al sell well.

Ford didnt have to do much to the BA/F wagon to make it look nice and sell a few to private buyers, and I'm not talking about silly turbo engine options either.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #254
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Point is, why spend $30k on a "new" Falcon Wagon when theres a dude up the road selling a EB Wagon for $800 (and he throws in a slab).

Its basically the same car. I can still fit in with the new car crowd now can't I? :-)
Old 18-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #255
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
You can read between the lines from his post and say that Ford has failed on the 'function' front as well. I mean, why would a family car buyer buy a Falcon wagon when there are next to no content options available for it? Sure in terms of its ability to lug cargo its a winner, but private car buyers are looking for more than that. Which is the reason why cars like the Captiva et al sell well.

sorry, up until recently i was a wagon owner (bf2). have had nearly every model since ef. i found them a great car. captiva's and territories don't have the luggage capacity. the commo barely has more room than a sedan. some of us just want a good honest car that can carry all the family, esp when holidaying.

i will admit though, i have never bought new.

wagons are bought by people who need them. end of. they are built to 'function'.

continually comparing ford to holden is rather amusing too. this is australia. anything with a holden badge will sell well. most will notice that when the sportwagon came on the scene, the overall commodore sales didn't really improve much, if at all. they simply stole sedan sales.

Quote:
Ford didnt have to do much to the BA/F wagon to make it look nice and sell a few to private buyers, and I'm not talking about silly turbo engine options either.
this continually gets mentioned on the forum too. once upon a time, ford made every variant (except xr8) in a wagon. you could get futura, fairmont, ghia, xr6, 6cyl, v8, you name it. guess what. they didn't sell. do you really think ford would keep discontinuing models if they were selling?
Old 18-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #256
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
i will admit though, i have never bought new.
Exactly! Thats why Ford is dumping the Wagon, neither is anyone else!

Quote:
wagons are bought by people who need them. end of. they are built to 'function'.
Exactly! No one wants an old wagon!

Quote:
continually comparing ford to holden is rather amusing too.
Whys is that? Model for model, line for line, they are direct competitors, AND they happen to be the only 2 producing a Station Wagon.

LOL
Old 18-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #257
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly! Thats why Ford is dumping the Wagon, neither is anyone else!

Exactly! No one wants an old wagon!

Whys is that? Model for model, line for line, they are direct competitors, AND they happen to be the only 2 producing a Station Wagon.

LOL
Correction....

Ford produced the only ligitimate wagon, based on the LWB floor pan, the Holden is a "Hatch" based on the sedan floor pan.... Its functionality as a true wagon is extremely limited.

Ford still produce wagons of sorts, the Territory and Mondeo.

The market has shifted to sedans with big boots or "hatches"... the "wagon" is dead.

Old 18-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #258
prydey
Rob

Quote:

LOL
the ve outsells fg by fair margin and yet you would be hard pressed to find a review that says its a better car. sales figures, esp ones with a holden badge, don't mean a whole lot. daewoo couldn't buy a sale, and yet the same car with a holden badge seems to run out the door.

the wagon argument has been done to death. not many people see it from ford's point of view. not many realise that the company's money tree has long died and they have to streamline the products. building 'special' cars because a handfull of forum members want to win the arguments down the pub just doesn't cut it anymore. wagon, lwb, v8 in all models, etc etc. its just not viable.
Old 18-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #259
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Correction....

Ford produced the only ligitimate wagon, based on the LWB floor pan, the Holden is a "Hatch" based on the sedan floor pan.... Its functionality as a true wagon is extremely limited.

Ford still produce wagons of sorts, the Territory and Mondeo.

The market has shifted to sedans with big boots or "hatches"... the "wagon" is dead.
How is the Mondeo a "wagon of sorts" and the Commodore a "hatch" when they both share the the same wheelbase as the sedan ?!
(better tell those Euro brands that they are selling hatches too!!)

The FG shape would've made a great "hatch / wagon" IMO but I believe Ford couldn't justify the cost of building it, which is a shame.

RIP Aussie Ford Wagon you became old fashioned and died unloved.
Old 18-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #260
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
The FG shape would've made a great "hatch / wagon" IMO but I believe Ford couldn't justify the cost of building it, which is a shame.
They have terri, why build two models that will compete with each other. The Terri has been a much bigger success then the VE wagon/hatch has been.
Old 18-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #261
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They have terri, why build two models that will compete with each other. The Terri has been a much bigger success then the VE wagon/hatch has been.
The Sportwagon has outsold the Territory every month since launch.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #262
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Sportwagon has outsold the Territory every month since launch.
One have you got the proof ( I know it did well at the start). Two I wanna see how it goes after being out for 5 years with no update. Three it has never hot 2500-2700 units a months.
Old 18-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #263
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

ffo racing i learnt 6 months ago that you do not sledge the wagon.
it has many fans that now cant get a car to suit there needs.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #264
Chopped
as in chopped

Not bagging the wagon but is it a shame that they never updated it with the FG.
It may become one of those niche vehicles that is sought after in the second hand market.

(The Territory is different class of vehicle)

I'm curious which model people think was the best looking ?
(It always come down to your own taste but I reckon the XP)
Old 18-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #265
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Yeah the BF wagon was never gonna sell with an **** end from 1998.

The Territory killed the Wagon. But who cares the Terry is way better than a falcon wagon.
The terry is heavy thirsty and not a patch on a the sports wagon , if Ford got it's shi*( together and produced a modern wagon instead of the lousy current offerings I would buy another Ford wagon for a daily instead of an x5
I am certain man y feel the same and buy the sports wagon
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #266
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
The terry is heavy thirsty and not a patch on a the sports wagon , if Ford got it's shi*( together and produced a modern wagon instead of the lousy current offerings I would buy another Ford wagon for a daily instead of an x5
I am certain man y feel the same and buy the sports wagon
Wheels compared the SY Territory to the then new GMH Sportwagon and the Territory was a fairly convincing winner.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #267
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Tomorrow 29.09.10 at about 8am the last Falcon wagon ever rolls of the end of the production line. It was delayed due to production issues and the fact that the plant was shut down for 2 days last week and 1 day this week. It is a stocky white XT wagon and the lucky owner is Telstra (like 99% of all white falcon wagons)
Old 29-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #268
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Tomorrow 29.09.10 at about 8am the last Falcon wagon ever rolls of the end of the production line. It was delayed due to production issues and the fact that the plant was shut down for 2 days last week and 1 day this week. It is a stocky white XT wagon and the lucky owner is Telstra (like 99% of all white falcon wagons)
Why was the plant shut down?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #269
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

would have been nice if they made the last wagon a full bf 2 ghia.
send it out on a high
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #270
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Why was the plant shut down?
Not sure if it's the case this time however if it's anticpated that enough line workers may request leave for say a religious celebration then a down day may be scheduled to avoid hiccups.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post