Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #61
bernadette86
soon to be low

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
Yes! I re-read that issue again the otherday, unreal project.
doesnt look that hard to do get some information, parts and a little know how or pay a workshop and its a great alternative to buying a 4x4. i will have an rtv by end of the year in few years time i had a family i know what i would do.
Old 24-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #62
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I think there is a simple answer as to why Ford is not producing a new wagon. Cost vs benefit is nil.

Another answer is that they have no money to develop it.... Ive seen a lot of projects which would have been highly profitable or help sustain production but they dont go ahead due to financing.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #63
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Another answer is that they have no money to develop it.... Ive seen a lot of projects which would have been highly profitable or help sustain production but they dont go ahead due to financing.
Well in fairness, why would you 'waste' precious R&D funds on a limited niche vehicle like a Falcon wagon when you have far more important (and profitable) projects like Territory II and the FG Falcon to push out...the FG alone would have gobbled up most of FoA's development quota and Dee-troit keeps a very tight rein on the purse strings...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #64
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Confirmed, Wagon is died!!

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0324-qwce.html
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #65
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
oh noooooooooooo!! : :
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #66
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The move is an ominous sign for the rest of the Falcon range
Up yours, Hagon.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #67
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee end of era, 50 years of wagon. Now only boring sedan left, at least the Falcon range can now migrate to Taurus seamlessly.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #68
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

What a shame..

Id say bring on the deisel terri, then maybe...just maybe...
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #69
g220ba
FGX XR8

Is anyone really that surprised, there is no market for the wagon anymore. Ford will simply use the extra capacity on the line for more profitable territory and falcon variants. Ford are making the tough decisions to get through the hard times. It may not please some but ford are looking to the future.

Just because the sportwagon sells quite well doesn't mean there's a market for a wagon, simply because overall commodore sales haven't really improved with it in the line up.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #70
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

After years of speculation Ford has finally announced the last Falcon wagon will be built in June.

Ford has finally killed off its ageing Falcon wagon, just months shy of its 50th birthday.

The move is an ominous sign for the rest of the Falcon range, which has struggled to attract buyers in recent years as people have moved to smaller, more efficient cars.

Amid an imminent move for the Falcon to become a global car as part of the One Ford policy to produce near identical cars around the world, Ford Australia president Marin Burela said the Falcon wagon would be “retired” towards the end of 2010.

“After a lot of detailed review … we’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to retire the Falcon wagon,” he said.

“It’s done an outstanding job for us over the years and has certainly delivered to customer expectation.”

The Falcon wagon missed out on the substantial FG Falcon update that included fresh engines and styling, instead relying on a minor tweak of the old BA/BF Falcon wagon formula.

It has continued with an archaic leaf-spring rear suspension that’s associated with work utes and commercial vehicles.

Ford says it has spoken to fleet buyers who continue to use the load lugger as a tool of trade vehicle and begun pitching the mid-sized Mondeo wagon as an alternative.

The Mondeo wagon is available with a more fuel efficient diesel engine, which will be added to the local line-up in the third quarter of this year.

“Not only does it bring great styling, European styling, great package … it also brings with it an unprecedented level of fuel efficiency that currently doesn’t exist in the marketplace with the introduction of the diesel,” he said.

The Ford boss said the Falcon had served Australian businesses and families well over many decades but it was time to move on.

“We’re very, very comfortable with the decision,” he said. “It was a great car then … it still is a great car now, but we’re now moving forward.”

Burela confirmed the much awaited – and delayed – turbo-diesel version of the Territory would go on sale in 2011.

Ford is also working on a turbocharged, four-cylinder engine for the Falcon sedan, which is expected to bring fuel economy gains of at least 20 per cent.

As the new-vehicle market continues to gather pace, Burela says the demise of the wagon will free up space on its Broadmeadows production line (which has been working on overtime) for other variants.

“My expectation - even without wagon as part of our mix in 2010 - is that our build volume will increase between 10 and 15 per cent.”

The Mondeo wagon went on sale in Australia last July and has so far failed to make a dent in the popularity of Holden’s rival Commodore Sportwagon, which has proved a sales success
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Finally some more room for more units.
Old 24-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #72
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Welcome to your new Falcon:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-Ford-Taurus.jpg (94.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 24-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #73
xrford
WAGONE

Big fan of the wagon but unforntunantly you cant keep selling something that basically has the same rear end as a 99 AU.
It was either spend money and develop an FG platform with a couple of sport models or just stop making it.
Was becoming embarrassing in the end when even non car enthusiasts would turn around and say "it looks just lke the old one"
No one in Australia is going to want to buy a mondeo wagon no matter how european they look they dont even compare! you may as well just go buy a mazda 6 and save your money!

EDIT:

Mazda touring

Mazda Classic (sedan or wagon)

Mazda diesel

Notice how they have 3 different models?
Where was the same logic with the falcon wagon? holden sure seemed top get it right....

Last edited by xrford; 24-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #74
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford

Mazda touring wagon

Mazda diesel wagon

Mazda diesel sport wagon

Notice how they have 2 different model diesels one for work and one for play?
Where was the same logic with the falcon wagon? holden sure seemed top get it right....
Where ?

The last picture is the sedan / hatch !

The first two wagons are the same - there is only one Mazda Wagon body..

Do more research....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #75
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

So much doom and gloom. I don't see this as a bad thing and nor do I think it's the beginining of the end for falcon. I see increased production and further sales increases as a result.
Old 24-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #76
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Where ?

The last picture is the sedan / hatch !

The first two wagons are the same - there is only one Mazda Wagon body..

Do more research....
Edited...
Old 24-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #77
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Edited...
Mondeo Titanium Diesel Wagon thanks !
Old 24-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #78
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Mondeo Titanium Diesel Wagon thanks !
good for you!
Old 24-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #79
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
good for you!
Yep !
Old 24-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #80
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
So much doom and gloom. I don't see this as a bad thing and nor do I think it's the beginining of the end for falcon. I see increased production and further sales increases as a result.
How? If you need a wagon you cant replace it with a sedan.
Less options for sale mean less buyers.
Not building the wagon to me says theres a lack of confidence and there isn't a future in Falcon manufacturing in Aus.
"One Ford" dosen't seem to allow country orientated niche models.
Old 24-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #81
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Not building the wagon to me says theres a lack of confidence and there isn't a future in Falcon manufacturing in Aus.
Thats not the way that ive been led to understand it
If a car in australia uses the same engines, gearboxes and diffs as one in say North America for example then that is a substantial cost saving to the development and so on. falcon and mustang will be "twinned" from 2015 and that means that the niche mustang engines can be spread accross a greater number of cars. The mustang engines will now have more dev dollars it also means goodnight for our beloved I6 in 2015
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #82
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Reading Goauto the Mondeo is going to be the Wagon that Ford are going to push now.
How successful is the Mondeo going to be compared to Falcon and is it a genuine replacement?
Would like to hear some opinions whether a front drive four can replace a rear drive six.
Lot of people enjoy the power and space of the Falcon for towing.
Old 24-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #83
G6E Turbo 2

Quote:

Yeah I agree with you, very poor effort In that it
gives Holden further strength in the market place
and yet another way to increase sales over Ford
yet again
There is no sign of Holden going bad in Aust in
relation to bankrupcy like the US but Ford are
making all the market place adjustments

Got me stuffed
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #84
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Quote:
Yes it does.. Just as long as the country orientated niche market is 'USA only'... That's all these companies care about.

It's sad that the Falcon wagon will be no more. But at least it had a decent run. Ford just have to concentrate on what Aussie built models they've got left now. Just gotta keep them going, and for the next few years (at least) there will still be Aussies employed building Fords in Australia.
Old 24-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #85
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
Yeah I agree with you, very poor effort In that it
gives Holden further strength in the market place
and yet another way to increase sales over Ford
yet again
There is no sign of Holden going bad in Aust in
relation to bankrupcy like the US but Ford are
making all the market place adjustments

Got me stuffed
They didn't need anymore strength.... The sportswagon is selling like hotcakes... hence why it baffles me ford didn't think there was a market. Wait till the VF with updated interiors and further fuel saving and sales may rise even more. It's not whether or not the markets there. its whether or not the market likes your product lol. I own a small car but if enticed enough by certain things I'd buy a medium car or small SUV like the Hyundai Ix35

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #86
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Probably decided when they decided not to update the wagon when they were developing the FG. Inevitable decision really, but does not make sense as in lots of ways the Terry does not replace the Falcon wagon.

There is no way now that Falcon sales will exceed Commodore sales as it did not that long ago, Commodore has the #1 Australian built car status all to its own now with no Aussie challengers. And the publicity to go with it. Holden must be in party mode.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #87
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yet another chapter closes in 'Australian' car history.
All our local makers in one way or another have either carked it, or changed their product to align with the greater selling, overseas available offerings.

The 'Australian' in Australian cars is no longer sustainable, nor profit making for the manufacturers.

It's a shame really, but hey, at least we can all drive around in little boxes that all look just the same......

Ed
Old 24-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #88
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all relative isnt it. Ford makes the territory, Holden makes the wagon. Theres not too much difference in monthly sales between the two. Ford oz makes 50000 cars a year, Holden makes 57000 cars a year. The important thing is that those iranians only managed to manufacture 1 million cars last year, and the turkish only managed to manufacture 1.4 million. Maybe the execs of these third world car companies understand the relationship between building cars that people want.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #89
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA
After years of speculation Ford has finally announced the last Falcon wagon will be built in June.

Ford has finally killed off its ageing Falcon wagon, just months shy of its 50th birthday.

The move is an ominous sign for the rest of the Falcon range, which has struggled to attract buyers in recent years as people have moved to smaller, more efficient cars.
Its like he was praying for the Falcon wagon to die and now praying for the rest to follow. If his prayers do come true he will be out of a job as Ford in Australia wont be around to bash. Im sorry but he is a dumb ******** Holden biased reporter and contridicts with the smaller car comment. You simply cant fit a family of 5 in a Yaris on a weekend away so families do still want a sedan or larger.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #90
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are only building 200 Falcon Wagon a month now (From one of the articles). Why spend so much money for 200 sales a month!! Waste, waste, waste.. Everyone also missed the increase line rate from 2009 comment in one of the articles too!! This is all good news if you ask me.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post