Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Revive Car Industry in Australia

It should be an exciting time you would think - unfortunately, I think it will also be very scary. Global Warming has reached religion levels,
being blamed for bushfires, cyclones, sea level etc, when statistical data shows otherwise.

The Earth's Atmosphere is currently 0.04% CO2, with 3% of that man created - Australia's portion is 1.3% of that 3%.
I agree we have changed our environment, and we do need to clean it up, but do we need to force these changes now, and put ourselves at risk economically even further?

Modelling suggests EV takeup by intervention would be more realistic by around 2037, by attrition around 2045. Labor's plan of 50% EV's and 45% renewables is calculated to put half a trillion dollars ($500 billion)over the next decade in debt - our all up debt is a half trillion dollars now. A surplus of $7 billion is coming next FY - still will take a while to get this debt down.
The cost of energy is estimated to go up seven fold over this time as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Do you think we should be energy independent ?
Be able to have the industrial ability, expertise and capacity to make some cars in Australia ?
Well we were - when the power generation infrastructure was still government owned, and prices were realistic. I'm old enough to remember Chrysler, Leyland, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Renault, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Renewable energy is now cheaper then building Nuclear and coal power and is the cost is still falling. Investment in renewable has overtaken investments in fossil fuels. Even without any subsidies its now cheaper to build solar and wind.
Other problems
- Super expensive to build
- no wants to be built next to them
- Nuclear waste disposal
- accidents and terrorism target
I think South Australians might disagree with you. The reliability factor is significant. Also, I think it's closed thinking to not consider other energy generation methods to complement renewables - Nuclear has developed a lot since the Chernobyl days: http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...-reactors.aspx. e.g.Reactors using recycled Uranium.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post