Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 15-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
martyd

Default is it worth "camming"

Hi Boys. My XR8 (auto BA) is running exhaust, spacer, intake. I am going to "Bluepower it" with a custom tune, underdrives and catch can. As a old school v8 man - it needs something extra... Is it worth changing cams on the 260? Idle lump is probably needed (or wished for). i would love to change the plenum and run twin throttle bodies (is this worth it)..but will get the cams done at the same time...if the exercise is warranted..
The car is now rarely driven and my weekend toy..

martyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

almost any engine will respond to a camshaft upgrade providing supporting mods are done as well.where do you like your power band?cam gears are a option.a bit more cost involved but very easy to do is a V2 cappa supercharger kit that delivers at all RPMs.the cost of plenum,throttlebodies and such will probably end up being the same price roughly.food for thought.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
martyd

Happy to launch up to $4k....if i need to (give or take). S/C would obviously be more..
martyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

with 4k a high stall and diff gear change would make it hook along nicely after the bluepower tune ect,bringing that power curve forward where you need it.13s no worries.
Old 16-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
05_ENFORCER

In response to your initial post, unfortunately the yanks are the only ones who can make and "tune in" decent rwhp figures with aftermarket cams (and cylinder heads for that matter).

Keeping in mind thier motors are not common to ours.

In short, NO, changing the cams in a Boss 260 will not give you the "old school" power increases you would expect, BUT it will give you the " old school lope" at idle :voldar02:
Old 16-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Hi Marty,

thanking the guys above for their contributions, there are camshafts availible for the 260, and yes, we can tune them very well to get the most out of them.

The unfortunate problem is the lack of a decent sqush band on the 260 piston, and its factory 70thou deck with its low static compression does not make the car super responsive to such modifications.

Also, in our experience the twin plenum setup on such an engine is also usually "negligible" in result.

I would certainly like to sell you some products, but unfortunately i am of the firm belief that it will be big$$$ spent, for very little gain.

FPV have learnt much from this, and they now dont have a boss motor with less than 10.3 to 1.

I am sorry, others may take your money, but im not sure its really worth it.

Gilmore, be wary of pricing on centrifugal superchargers. Your entry level price on a Vortech reverse mount is 5k - by the time you add injectors, 2bar map sensor (yes, both required), labour to install, an Xcal3 and tune will easily eclipse 8k, and it has no supporting intercooler, and lack grunt down low.

adding diff gears and converter would put the price somewhere up near 12k, a far cry from the original budget.

Hope this helps, feel free to call me if you wish to discuss!!

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Hi Marty,

thanking the guys above for their contributions, there are camshafts availible for the 260, and yes, we can tune them very well to get the most out of them.

The unfortunate problem is the lack of a decent sqush band on the 260 piston, and its factory 70thou deck with its low static compression does not make the car super responsive to such modifications.

Also, in our experience the twin plenum setup on such an engine is also usually "negligible" in result.

I would certainly like to sell you some products, but unfortunately i am of the firm belief that it will be big$$$ spent, for very little gain.

FPV have learnt much from this, and they now dont have a boss motor with less than 10.3 to 1.

I am sorry, others may take your money, but im not sure its really worth it.

Gilmore, be wary of pricing on centrifugal superchargers. Your entry level price on a Vortech reverse mount is 5k - by the time you add injectors, 2bar map sensor (yes, both required), labour to install, an Xcal3 and tune will easily eclipse 8k, and it has no supporting intercooler, and lack grunt down low.

adding diff gears and converter would put the price somewhere up near 12k, a far cry from the original budget.

Hope this helps, feel free to call me if you wish to discuss!!

Chris
to do the cams,plenum,throttlebodies marty will need a fuel system and xcal3 ect as you stated anyway and that will bring price out to around 6k tuned.your right chris,to do the s/c kit you will need to part with 5k and add the things you mentioned making the price a "bit" more as i stated.my bits are bigger than others .with my suggestion of a convertor and diff gear change that was a option that would give better bang for buck than the cam ect upgrade not to be in conjunction with the s/c kit.hope this makes my previous posts make sense?i think a budget needs to be established before any ideas are thrown around,i always forget this when replying to a post and trying to help. otherwise,how long is a peice of string?this is by no means a go at you chris,just trying to make my posts make more sense and less grey. :must go v8 utes are on telly
Old 16-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
In response to your initial post, unfortunately the yanks are the only ones who can make and "tune in" decent rwhp figures with aftermarket cams (and cylinder heads for that matter).

Keeping in mind thier motors are not common to ours.

In short, NO, changing the cams in a Boss 260 will not give you the "old school" power increases you would expect, BUT it will give you the " old school lope" at idle :voldar02:
Sounds like you've been talking to a "yank"....
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
to do the cams,plenum,throttlebodies marty will need a fuel system and xcal3 ect as you stated anyway and that will bring price out to around 6k tuned.your right chris,to do the s/c kit you will need to part with 5k and add the things you mentioned making the price a "bit" more as i stated.my bits are bigger than others .with my suggestion of a convertor and diff gear change that was a option that would give better bang for buck than the cam ect upgrade not to be in conjunction with the s/c kit.hope this makes my previous posts make sense?i think a budget needs to be established before any ideas are thrown around,i always forget this when replying to a post and trying to help. otherwise,how long is a peice of string?this is by no means a go at you chris,just trying to make my posts make more sense and less grey. :must go v8 utes are on telly
I agree totally!!

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower

Chris
Hi Chris,

Does this mean I shouldn't put on your twin throttle plenum on my car? Since putting on headers and high flow cats I've been waiting for the twin plenum for a re-tune, and haven't been driving it much lately now anyhow, but now I might just get it re-tuned.

It is running rich, which is not a big issue, but I've been keen to re-tune it, just been waiting.

I figure if it dies on me I'll get it rebuilt, with high compression, and go the twin plenum then, sound right?

Vic

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post