Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #1591
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
My baller property is being redeveloped, with the lawn area cut down, new access to the lawn will be though a pool area. There will not be wide enough access to keep the husky TC138T rider on the property. Ive suggested to the owner that we get a self propelled pushy to do the lawn ongoing. Which brings me to a dilemma, do I offer to buy the ride on from him? Its just over 12 months old with 50hrs, Ive serviced it all myself. Decisions, decisions.......
What self-propelled pushy are you looking at?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 12:33 AM   #1592
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
What self-propelled pushy are you looking at?
Dunno yet, it’s early days. I’ll hit you up when I’m ready to look

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 29-06-2022, 09:14 PM   #1593
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I posted this in my gardening thread, but it belongs here as well -

New Mower Day!!!!

I’m very lucky that I can write off my mower addiction as a business expense. The “reason” for this machine is to have a reliable light duty mower for the cooler months of the year. The un-official "reason"? I just wanted a mower with electric start. However, this was not a straightforward purchase.

As always, I am king of the spec’s, I have no problem cross checking multiple models in an attempt to make a well-informed purchase. When I go to buy, I know EXACTLY what I want and usually know more than the salesman. I looked at Masport, Bushranger and Victa’s offering for electric start lawn mowers.

Bushrangers offering is a smaller 18’’ cut with the 150cc Briggs engine. This chassis is the old Rover deck, one I have had before and did not like. It’s smaller cut reduces efficiency too.

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...ey-start-mower

Masport offered both 140cc 18” and 150cc 19” steel chassis models. I have had a 19’’ Masport before and was less than impressed with the lack of durability. The 190cc 850-Series Briggs engine was transplanted to another mower in the end and the deck was basically scrap after less than a year. As such, I did not feel very confident about another Masport.

https://masport.com.au/outdoor-garde...rated-instart-
https://masport.com.au/outdoor-garde...combo-instart-

12-18 months ago, Victa offered several models with electric start, however they now only sell a 140cc 18’’ model. I could probably deal with the smaller cut, but not the small engine……. I like a big donk!

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...ter-mower.html

I’m a Victa boy to the core though, they just seem to have given me the best results over the years. This then led me to searching for those now discontinued models, in particular the Corvette 500 with the 150cc engine, and the Mustang 750iS with the larger 163cc engine.

My local dealer who I have purchased many, many machines from over the years could not get me one, nor was there any future models in the pipeline according to the Victa rep. I then started trawling the internet and found a dealer offering both for sale. Knowing these were discontinued lines, I emailed the seller asking if these were in stock and was told yes, both were in stock. Great! I placed my order for a Corvette 500 with In-Start and waited. And waited, and waited…………………

I ended up phoning the seller a week later asking what was the statis of my order, only to be told that the mower was on back order. To me, that sounded very strange, how can a product be on back order when it’s been discontinued? More to the point, I was told hours earlier that it was in stock! An email or phone call would have been helpful. I then changed my order to the Mustang 750iS and was told an updated invoice would be emailed to me so I could pay the balance and organise shipping. Again, I waited, and waited and waited. Five days after that, I phoned and asked what is going on with my order, only to be told that he forgot to send out the email, and that he would get right on it. Another day passed, where I finally received a phone call and an updated invoice. I paid the balance and the dam thing arrived today, 23 days after the order was placed.

I can’t understand how a business can set up a very comprehensive website for the sale of high dollar items and not have appropriate inventory systems or provide adequate communication to customers. Just not good enough. It's also against consumer law to represent a product for sale when it's not in stock or will never be in stock. I would name and shame, but I want to make sure my new mower is running correctly before that, so if you want to know what business sold me this machine, shoot me a PM.

So, the machine itself. Because this was an online sale, I needed to do the final assembly which included putting the catcher together, attaching the throttle lever and adding oil and fuel.

As mentioned, this is a 19’’ cut Victa Mustang 750 with In-Start. The Mustang name has generally referred to alloy chassis models and represents the upper end of the Victa line-up. This is the fifth one of these I have had, all with varying engines- 190cc B&S Quantum XTS 60, 161cc B&S DOV, 190cc B&S OHV 850-Series, 160cc Powertorque 2-Stroke and now this 163cc B&S 750iS.

This is the first new-generation OHV Briggs and Stratton engine I have owned. This series is different to the 190cc 850 OHV engines, think of those as “Big Blocks”, and different again to the 161cc DOV engines. These newer OHV models are made in 125cc, 140cc, 150cc and 163cc and replaced the ancient side-valve engines in 148cc, 158cc and 190cc capacities.

The key feature for me is the electric start, or what Briggs and Stratton refer to as In-Start. Electric start mowers of old had bulky batteries sitting at the back of the deck, adding weight and were an inconvenience to charge. Briggs and Stratton’s solution is pretty clever, integrating a standard looking lithium-ion battery into the starter housing on top of the engine. A full charge takes an hour and will offer a claimed 75 starts, a ten-minute charge offering 20 starts. Each mower fitted with one of these In-Start engines comes with one 10.8V 1.45Ah battery and a matching charger. Starting is as simple as flipping the cover and pushing the button.

While my initial choice was for the Corvette with it’s lighter steel chassis, this Mustang has a more powerful engine and more rugged alloy base without much compromise in weight. It also comes with a mulching blade disk and plug, not that I will be using it as such.

Now the question is, do I go ahead and polish and wax it?
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #1594
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Using this machine yesterday, it started miss-firing, which is pretty normal for this particular engine now. After stepping off it to attend to something and letting it idle, the thing started to stumble. When I got back on and throttled it back up it just didn't sound right and had no stamina despite revving up fine. I could also smell unburnt fuel, so clearly a cylinder wasn't pulling its weight.

Pulled the plugs and this is what greeted me from the right-hand bank -

I have mentioned before that this machine is slowly dying, the right cylinder in particular is clearly the one burning through oil. Another Kohler living up to its reputation then.

Cleaned both plugs and it's running again..........for now.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #1595
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My new Victa started to earn it's keep today.

Last pics of it clean, after a bit of detailing...........

One of my clients who has failing eyesight noticed that I was using a new mower, such was the glossiness

Nothing cuts like a brand-new mower!

Engine has good torque, but doesn't rev very hard. Briggs and Stratton like to tout these engines being very fuel efficient and this particular one has what they call QPT-Quiet Power Technology. Well, when you rev an engine less, of course it will make less noise and consume less fuel! I will run the engine in, change the oil and then give it a little tune-up adjustment.

Speaking of oil changes, this sticker proudly adorns the side of the engine -

No way in hell will I be just checking and adding the oil on this machine. Crazy concept, I guess to reduce consumer effort and keep them buying petrol engines?

Overall, I am very happy with it and glad I paid a bit more for the alloy base Mustang and larger 163cc engine. Really loving the push-button start as well.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #1596
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well, my petty revenge continues........

Rather than cut the grass, they decided to just spray some Roundup instead.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #1597
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Quote:
My new Victa started to earn it's keep today.

Last pics of it clean, after a bit of detailing...........

One of my clients who has failing eyesight noticed that I was using a new mower, such was the glossiness

Nothing cuts like a brand-new mower!

Engine has good torque, but doesn't rev very hard. Briggs and Stratton like to tout these engines being very fuel efficient and this particular one has what they call QPT-Quiet Power Technology. Well, when you rev an engine less, of course it will make less noise and consume less fuel! I will run the engine in, change the oil and then give it a little tune-up adjustment.

Speaking of oil changes, this sticker proudly adorns the side of the engine -

No way in hell will I be just checking and adding the oil on this machine. Crazy concept, I guess to reduce consumer effort and keep them buying petrol engines?

Overall, I am very happy with it and glad I paid a bit more for the alloy base Mustang and larger 163cc engine. Really loving the push-button start as well.

Alloy base Mustang as well, but mine came with self drive as well as the push start. Pretty happy with it so far, I was concerned initially how heavy it would be compared to the previous 2stroke Victa it replaced.
Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #1598
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
Alloy base Mustang as well, but mine came with self drive as well as the push start. Pretty happy with it so far, I was concerned initially how heavy it would be compared to the previous 2stroke Victa it replaced.
That would be the Mustang Ultimate -

According to Victa's specs, the self-propel system only adds 2 kg to the weight of the Mustang 750iS (36kg vs 38kg). They also quote a walking speed of 5 kph for these single speed gearboxes. How have you found the pace from it?
Mustang GT

Old 10-07-2022, 09:53 PM   #1599
John 13

Victa Tornado, TTS 2226AB (2011 make). I have acquired two engine-drive assemblies and one straight shaft trimmer head. Both engines have a reasonable spark. Cleaned out carburettors, particlarly the fine mesh carby input filters. (lots of gunk upstream side) Replaced one primer pump bulb and used a Ryobi tank pickup filter, engine starts and appears to run OK. Clutch mechanicals and output housing, unlike Ryobi BQ rubbish are robust and predominately metal. likely the unit is made in Japan.
This unit has attracted a lot of bad reports on internet. Has anyone out there had/have experience with this machine.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #1600
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Quote:
That would be the Mustang Ultimate -

According to Victa's specs, the self-propel system only adds 2 kg to the weight of the Mustang 750iS (36kg vs 38kg). They also quote a walking speed of 5 kph for these single speed gearboxes. How have you found the pace from it?

Thats the one! The pace has been pretty good actually, great for the longer straight sections of yard.

Also makes mowing the lawn while drinking a stubby in summer easier with one hand....
Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2022, 04:47 PM   #1601
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Spotted this on display at a tool shop today -

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/e...ower-combo-kit

Mustang GT

Old 11-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #1602
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I got asked elsewhere for pictures of my fleet and I'm always happy to take a pic!

From left to right at the back - Victa Corvette 400 Sprint 375, Victa Commando 2-Stoke, Victa Mustang 2-Stroke, Rover ProCut 560 Kohler.

From left to right at the front - Victa MasterCut 2-Stroke, Victa Mustang InStart, Victa MulchMaster 560, Bushranger 800SP GXV160.

There is actually one missing from these pics, my grandpa's old green Victa Mustang, it's buried in the depths of the garden shed. Ultimately, I want to restore it one day, along with my first mower, the Corvette 400.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #1603
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The Mastercut has a fully stanced JDM drift weapon look to it.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #1604
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a winter service on my machines today, and soaked all the foam or gauze air cleaners on fuel, geez, you dont realize how much crap they hold that you cant see.
I also bought a new stihl backpack sprayer(again) if fell out of the van and snapped the trigger and wand in 2 places, replacement= $130. New unit complete=$170 :/

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #1605
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thanks to DFB, I’ve got sucked into watching Tim the Mower Man on YT (iMac screen, so it’s televisual luxury).

The cat watches intently and tries to swat him as he walks across the lawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil
I also bought a new stihl backpack sprayer(again) if fell out of the van and snapped the trigger and wand in 2 places, replacement= $130. New unit complete=$170 :/
SG51, right? Do you think it’s fixable with non-genuine parts?
Old 13-07-2022, 11:34 PM   #1606
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

The cat watches intently and tries to swat him as he walks across the lawns.

SG51, right? Do you think it’s fixable with non-genuine parts?
Yeah, Im sure they exist somewhere, when I find them, Ill run one as a spare. The lawn game is funny, in 18months, ive ended up with pretty much 2 of everything.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #1607
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, Im sure they exist somewhere, when I find them, Ill run one as a spare. The lawn game is funny, in 18months, ive ended up with pretty much 2 of everything.
Excluding my insane mower buying habits, I have found the same thing. Having two of everything is not a bad thing really, it allows you to have a backup should one machine need unexpected maintenance. You can then also spread the load over two machines. I also found that having extra equipment handy for when I would occasionally have someone helping me.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #1608
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been putting off purchasing a pole chainsaw for a few months, but the job list for one keeps growing.
Went to my mower shop to order husqvarna 530iPT5 battery powered telescopic chainsaw, but he had one in stock! The guy said the batteries for those are unobtainium at the moment, lucky I’ve got the 9AH already.
Got it home and “trimmed” a tree, which turned into filling a whole cage trailer of greenwaste!

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #1609
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Been putting off purchasing a pole chainsaw for a few months, but the job list for one keeps growing.
Went to my mower shop to order husqvarna 530iPT5 battery powered telescopic chainsaw, but he had one in stock! The guy said the batteries for those are unobtainium at the moment, lucky I’ve got the 9AH already.
Got it home and “trimmed” a tree, which turned into filling a whole cage trailer of greenwaste!
Nice choice!

How do you find it for balance? I have only used a petrol pole saw and it was pretty uncomfortable to use. Is the chain speed variable or single speed?

And yes I know that situation, a quick "I'll just do this little thing" turns into a massive "project".
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #1610
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice choice!

How do you find it for balance? I have only used a petrol pole saw and it was pretty uncomfortable to use. Is the chain speed variable or single speed?

And yes I know that situation, a quick "I'll just do this little thing" turns into a massive "project".
Balance is good, with the heavy 9AH battery, the cutting end wants to go up in the air which is what you want. It would be crap with a 2 stroke hanging off the bottom.
Trigger is variable, and it sounds analogue, like the motor and gears are made of metal. The motor casings and brackets are all metal.
The only fault I can find is, the cutting head can’t be adjusted for angle, which would be handy, branches aren’t always 90deg to the ground.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-07-2022, 10:59 PM   #1611
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Starting to feel I need a smaller (less than 20” bar) chainsaw to abuse. Lust object = Stihl climbing saw, practical aspiration = DIY refurb on older (probably US made) saw. Thinking Husky, Dolmar, McCulloch, Echo etc.
Old 19-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #1612
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Gumtree listing 1298396269 - any thoughts? Had an older Pro-Mac before, albeit pre-OHS era with no chain brake or anti-vibration. Seemed simple and well-built.
Old 19-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #1613
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Gumtree listing 1298396269 - any thoughts? Had an older Pro-Mac before, albeit pre-OHS era with no chain brake or anti-vibration. Seemed simple and well-built.
Only thoughts are it says starts but doesnt stay running. That could be as simple as a bum primer bulb, they reckon its bum fuel, but anyhow. Chains are easy to get, but fuel system parts? Are they off the shelf for that unit?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #1614
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Carb kit for the last one was no problem, cheap and easy to get online - assuming this one needs a carb or kit. Had more issues with the oil metering getting blocked up by use of an enviro-friendly vegetable based bar oil.
Old 19-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #1615
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it starts on old fuel it will keep running,so I guess the problem is more main jet related
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #1616
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If it starts on old fuel it will keep running,so I guess the problem is more main jet related
That and/or the carb diaphragm.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #1617
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
First major job today, used it on and off all day, barely used 2 bars of battery, when you run it for a while, a cooling fan in the battery housing runs to keep it cool:mind blown!

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #1618
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Well, I managed to haggle a small discount on the Pro Mac. It’s now in the boot of my car.

Everything the seller said about its condition was truthful, it’s definitely a low mileage unit with no moisture damage (eg damp storage or left in rain), compression is like new. Starter lazy to rewind, and of course the carb issues. Happy bunny here.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #1619
.:4:.
Kicking back

Maintenanced my mower today. So its a 2010 victa vantage 18' deck with a 158cc briggs. Nothing flash, but it does domestic duties and starts 1st time everytime. So i got it new in 2010, last oil change was late 2011, maybe early 2012. Its been topped up in the mean time if it was below the full mark. Original spark plug. Blades were last changed in 2016 from memory.
So i had no running issues with it, but it was about time to maintenance it.
The oil that came out was not golden, it was brown, but deffinately not black. The blades were pretty good, a few dings from hitting builders rubble (dug all that crap out already). So new blades and 600ml of SAE30. The plug, a wipe with a rag, it was in good shape, so it didnt land in the bin. It went in the garage for the if i need it but never will stash. So new plug in. The mower starts easy as it used to, runs the same as it used to, but its maintenanced.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #1620
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Maintenanced my mower today. So its a 2010 victa vantage 18' deck with a 158cc briggs. Nothing flash, but it does domestic duties and starts 1st time everytime. So i got it new in 2010, last oil change was late 2011, maybe early 2012. Its been topped up in the mean time if it was below the full mark. Original spark plug. Blades were last changed in 2016 from memory.
So i had no running issues with it, but it was about time to maintenance it.
The oil that came out was not golden, it was brown, but deffinately not black. The blades were pretty good, a few dings from hitting builders rubble (dug all that crap out already). So new blades and 600ml of SAE30. The plug, a wipe with a rag, it was in good shape, so it didnt land in the bin. It went in the garage for the if i need it but never will stash. So new plug in. The mower starts easy as it used to, runs the same as it used to, but its maintenanced.
Got me thinking about my old Viking.Won it in a raffle about 25 years ago.Never gets serviced or respected.Gave it its first oil change about 2 years ago.Had to shout it a new Chinese carby about the same time.Wash the aircleaner foam with petrol every 3-4 years.Original blades and spark plug.Nearly at the end of its life because the uncared for body is getting rusty around where the raer axle mounts to the body
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: