Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Making a Barra sound good?

Barras, especially turbo versions, are known for being very good things. Of course, I'm preaching to the educated on a Ford enthusiast forum.

In saying that, one thing even the most ardent Barra fan will admit, is that they generally don't sound all that great. Sure, some sound better than others, however, universally they just aren't renowned for being a great sounding engine.

For anyone who has followed the American YouTuber, AdamLZ, you'd know that he fitted a Barra to his GT350 after the original engine met its demise after catching fire from a leaking oil filter.

For those who haven't followed his progress, I suggest you search for him and have a listen to his car. It is by far the best sounding Barra I've ever heard. So, how is it that a Yank got hold of one of our motors and made it sound so damn good?

I've heard plenty of Barras with all different exhaust combinations, from single 3.5 and 4" systems, to twin 2.5". The only off-the-shelf setup I haven't heard is Manta's twin 3". I have a twin 2.5" Manta on my F6X and it sounds fine, but it's hardly got what I'd describe as a memorable note.

What is it about Adam's exhaust that sets it apart? Well, it's essentially the GT350 factory axle-back, with some modifications to merge a custom 4" cat-back section to the factory twin system. I can't work out why it sounds so good, but it does!

I have a Manta on my F6X, as previously mentioned, and I'm going to fit a Venom twin 2.5" exhaust to my FG shortly. Currently I am running a straight-thru centre muffler, which sounds a little louder than stock, but not exactly a great note.

What's everyone done with their Barras to make them sound better? I'd love to hear what custom combos people have done.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Making a Barra sound good?

Its interesting because the old OHC in my poxy EA/ED and the Ticky I6 in my EL Ghia sounded pretty tough back in the day. I was also younger then and probably easily pleased.

But on a few occasions, I had people stop me and say it sounded good. So not sure why the architecture of the Barra seems to make it sounds like a vaccum cleaner?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Its interesting because the old OHC in my poxy EA/ED and the Ticky I6 in my EL Ghia sounded pretty tough back in the day. I was also younger then and probably easily pleased.

But on a few occasions, I had people stop me and say it sounded good. So not sure why the architecture of the Barra seems to make it sounds like a vaccum cleaner?
21 years ago I had an EL XR6. It had a Redback exhaust and Pacemaker headers. I thought it sounded pretty tough back then. However, I too was young, and most probably more easy to please.

Even the BA XR6 N/A around 2007/08 the ex and I had sounded pretty bloody good with Pacemaker comps, Magnaflow cat and XR6T catback with hotdogs in place of the centre muffler.

I'm not sure if it's a combination of the turbo and the twin cam head? Someone one Facebook reckons the head design doesn't lend itself to sounding good, but who knows?

What I do know is that AdamLZ's Barra-powered Mustang sounds great, and all the Yanks who've never heard a Barra before think they all sound like that when in reality they do not.
Old 17-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #4
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve watched his videos and I 100% agree. Sort of sounds like a Barra mixed with an R35 skyline. If I owned one I’d be trying my hardest to replicate his setup.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I'm not going to make friends with this post, but I think Barra's sound best when NOT fitted with an aftermarket exhaust.

I prefer the rasp of the NA, but the deeper tone of the turbo is nice too, especially the fart on upshift.

Listen to it scream at 1.30 -

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I have a Ba Typhoon fitted with a Herrod stainless cat back and a Venom bolt on cat pipe. Car sounds really nice, with a warm deep burble about it, then the cat gives it that angry raspy sound when on boost. Only intake mod is a panel K&N. There are so many ****ty sounding turbos around though so agree with you for the most part DFB.
Old 18-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
Hulsty

The only good one I've heard has been Adam LZ's
Hulsty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
I have a Ba Typhoon fitted with a Herrod stainless cat back and a Venom bolt on cat pipe. Car sounds really nice, with a warm deep burble about it, then the cat gives it that angry raspy sound when on boost. Only intake mod is a panel K&N. There are so many ****ty sounding turbos around though so agree with you for the most part DFB.
Would love to hear it one day.

The problem I have is most of the ones I hear are of people trying to make it sound like something it will never be.

Not trying to offend anyone, I'm strange in that I prefer intake/induction noise over exhaust. Or more to the point when both are in harmony, not one trying to outdo the other.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2023, 07:12 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I have a Venom twin 2.5 inch stainless system with middle muffler delete and high flow cat. Coupled with a turboside intake i think it sounds pretty good. Havnt recorded the current set up, sounds pretty good from the inside. Nice noises on the down shift too (manual)
I believe and could be wrong. The application can change the note ie sedan/ute/territory etc
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2023, 08:07 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I reckon all 4 and 6 cylinder engines sound absolutely junk, I reckon only a little bit of exhaust but get the intake noise going with the turbo flutter or externally vented blow off valve for maximum Franco

5/8 (except Euro) and 10 cylinder engines sound the best I reckon
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I reckon all 4 and 6 cylinder engines sound absolutely junk, I reckon only a little bit of exhaust but get the intake noise going with the turbo flutter or externally vented blow off valve for maximum Franco

5/8 (except Euro) and 10 cylinder engines sound the best I reckon
With you on the 4-potters, but what about these 6's...................

Mustang GT

Old 18-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
With you on the 4-potters, but what about these 6's...................

There's only one true king for the greatest sounding 6 cylinder engine:

2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #13
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Is your Herrod exhaust twin 2.5"? I'd imagine the Herrod unit is fairly quiet - even probably legal db given that Herrod has always been about legal mods.

I am going to go mild steel Venom cat-back. I have the stainless Venom cat. I am hoping the mild (aluminised) steel system sounds better than stainless.
Old 19-08-2023, 12:42 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Is your Herrod exhaust twin 2.5"? I'd imagine the Herrod unit is fairly quiet - even probably legal db given that Herrod has always been about legal mods.

I am going to go mild steel Venom cat-back. I have the stainless Venom cat. I am hoping the mild (aluminised) steel system sounds better than stainless.
Ive had both of those on my ute, mild steel first then stainless.
The mild steel rusted behind the rear muffler after about 2 years/very minimal kms sadly.
Went stainless and i know its personal preference, but i think the stainless system in my application sounds better.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-08-2023, 06:14 PM   #15
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Ive had both of those on my ute, mild steel first then stainless.
The mild steel rusted behind the rear muffler after about 2 years/very minimal kms sadly.
Went stainless and i know its personal preference, but i think the stainless system in my application sounds better.
That's my concern about mild steel. Rusting. I don't live far from the beach, but not too close where I'd think it was a real comcern (about 5km).

I did speak to George from Venom and he reckons the aluminised steel versions last a fair while with the coating compared to conventional mild steel systems.
Old 20-08-2023, 07:55 AM   #16
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

This one sounds great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urx_8xswc4A
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #17
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Yes, Adam LZ's sounds great. That's kinda the point of the thread...
Old 20-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #18
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-K44lKPLo

Mirabito performance disagrees that 6 cylinders sound poorly.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
…I prefer intake/induction noise over exhaust. Or more to the point when both are in harmony, not one trying to outdo the other.
You mean you prefer the sounds of happiness to the sound of yelling? I’d agree, then.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ive not heard mine from the outside until today mind you, the wind noise on the old gopro was quiet loud and it wasnt mounted in the best spot. But gave me a little insight into the sound.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-08-2023, 10:42 AM   #21
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I'm not sure on the sizing of the Herrod stainless catback, and doubt they even make them anymore, but i will say that it has proper full sized mufflers mid and rear. It has also been on the car for 18 Years and still looks like brand new! One of the benefits of going proper stainless I guess.
I will try to get a video but noone else drives my car so it can be pretty hard to get a video of it!
Old 21-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I find it strange people are having drama with mild steel exhausts rusting out early, the one on my Focus is coming up on 10 years and she's still good.

Was daily driver though so no chance for moisture to build up and sit in there.

Fair enough if you live near the ocean but makes me wonder if it's a Chinese steel problem.
Old 22-08-2023, 02:02 AM   #23
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I'm not sure on the sizing of the Herrod stainless catback, and doubt they even make them anymore, but i will say that it has proper full sized mufflers mid and rear. It has also been on the car for 18 Years and still looks like brand new! One of the benefits of going proper stainless I guess.
I will try to get a video but noone else drives my car so it can be pretty hard to get a video of it!
I don't think Herrod is interested in Falcons any more, other than the Miami intercooler. I haven't looked at Herrod's website for a while, but last time I did there wasn't anything Falcon, only Mustang.

The Herrod exhaust was probably similar to the APS exhaust. Quiet, stainless steel. If my memory serves me correctly, Herrod had its exhausts made by an exhaust manufacturer in Sydney back in the day.

It's great to know that 18 years later, the exhaust is still working as it should. I remember 2005 like it was yesterday - it's scary to think how fast time flies! 😳
Old 22-08-2023, 02:03 AM   #24
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I find it strange people are having drama with mild steel exhausts rusting out early, the one on my Focus is coming up on 10 years and she's still good.

Was daily driver though so no chance for moisture to build up and sit in there.

Fair enough if you live near the ocean but makes me wonder if it's a Chinese steel problem.
Is that a factory exhaust? Haven't most manufacturers used 409 stainless for the last 20 odd years?
Old 22-08-2023, 11:38 AM   #25
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make a barra sound good....put a barra 220 in it...

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2023, 03:57 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I don't think Herrod is interested in Falcons any more, other than the Miami intercooler. I haven't looked at Herrod's website for a while, but last time I did there wasn't anything Falcon, only Mustang.

The Herrod exhaust was probably similar to the APS exhaust. Quiet, stainless steel. If my memory serves me correctly, Herrod had its exhausts made by an exhaust manufacturer in Sydney back in the day.

It's great to know that 18 years later, the exhaust is still working as it should. I remember 2005 like it was yesterday - it's scary to think how fast time flies! 😳
They walked away from Falcon the moment Mustang landed. Sad when Falcon's made his name.
Mustang GT

Old 22-08-2023, 07:24 PM   #27
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
They walked away from Falcon the moment Mustang landed. Sad when Falcon's made his name.
The only thing still for sale is a fuel pump module, small supercharger pulley and the Miami intercooler kit.

Everything else for sale is Mustang, and it's all Ford Performance gear.

Even when Herrod sold Falcon products, they always appealed to only a certain market.

Oh well...
Old 22-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Is that a factory exhaust? Haven't most manufacturers used 409 stainless for the last 20 odd years?
Aftermarket - local exhaust shop did it, certainly mind steel as stainless was 2x the cost, I do have stainless IC piping though.
Old 22-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #29
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Franco Cozzo;6834091

5/8 (except Euro) and 10 cylinder engines sound the best I reckon[/QUOTE]

I like some of the old Euro V8s, they sounded pretty good.
I remember when the World Sports Car Championship race at Sandown, the Mercedes V8s exhaust note was awesome.

The new Ranger Raptor sounds horrible.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I like some of the old Euro V8s, they sounded pretty good.
I remember when the World Sports Car Championship race at Sandown, the Mercedes V8s exhaust note was awesome.

The new Ranger Raptor sounds horrible.
It's the new 3.8L Ecotec V6

Mang never dies, it just reincarnates