Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #361
Dimi_Ghia
Yeah it's a V8 mate.

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quick story about my wifes 2012 Titanium, took it to Ford early last year because of it shuddering and they said that it needs to be bought in to get the seals replaced because there is oil in the clutch which is causing the shudder.

So they did that and cleaned the clutch and all was good.
But late last year, the problem came back and they said that they will now replace the clutch but it will be done in February when the new improved clutch arrives from Ford (there was a backlog).

But.....a few months ago, the shuddering came back again and again they replaced the clutch!

It has been a month and so far so good.

The only thing I absolutely hate about this transmission is that when you need to accelerate quickly from a standstill, there is lag before the clutch engages then it will go!

2016 LZ FOCUS TREND SEDAN IN CANDY RED
Dimi_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 03:16 AM   #362
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimi_Ghia View Post
Quick story about my wifes 2012 Titanium, took it to Ford early last year because of it shuddering and they said that it needs to be bought in to get the seals replaced because there is oil in the clutch which is causing the shudder.

So they did that and cleaned the clutch and all was good.
But late last year, the problem came back and they said that they will now replace the clutch but it will be done in February when the new improved clutch arrives from Ford (there was a backlog).

But.....a few months ago, the shuddering came back again and again they replaced the clutch!

It has been a month and so far so good.

The only thing I absolutely hate about this transmission is that when you need to accelerate quickly from a standstill, there is lag before the clutch engages then it will go!
My focus has had 2 clutches 65000kms now.
I know what you mean when you need to take off fast like if your pulling out in front of traffic it is so freeking slow to move.
Also you need a bit more throttle to accelerate up a hill but nothing is happening, bit more throttle nothing still, bit more BAM kickdown too much now. I hate it , ex drives it and i never will again.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #363
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
My focus has had 2 clutches 65000kms now.
I know what you mean when you need to take off fast like if your pulling out in front of traffic it is so freeking slow to move.
Also you need a bit more throttle to accelerate up a hill but nothing is happening, bit more throttle nothing still, bit more BAM kickdown too much now. I hate it , ex drives it and i never will again.
Does it do that is "Sports" mode? Interested to know...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #364
KosCo

Ok, digging up the Powershift issue again. My Powershift was repaired around Dec 2012.

Currently, I observe 2 times when I have a bit of a shudder in the gearbox –
1. When starting off, the gearbox can shudder when changing from 1st to 2nd. If I start very “s l o w l y” then it seems to change into 2nd ok without the shudder
2. When travelling up a bit of a hill and the engine starts to labour and wants to change down, then I also often get a bit of a shudder.

These shudders are not as bad as the original shudders before the gearbox was repaired but are somewhat noticeable.

So I have some questions and am looking for your thoughts and opinions --

1. Do all Powershift owners experience some shuddering?

2. Should the gearbox be totally free of shudders?

3. Can I book the car into Ford and get a written objective assessment on the gearbox (I want to avoid the verbal “It’s ok and within tolerances” type of remark – I would like something in writing)?

Thanks for any help on this.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #365
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Ok, digging up the Powershift issue again. My Powershift was repaired around Dec 2012.

Currently, I observe 2 times when I have a bit of a shudder in the gearbox –
1. When starting off, the gearbox can shudder when changing from 1st to 2nd. If I start very “s l o w l y” then it seems to change into 2nd ok without the shudder
2. When travelling up a bit of a hill and the engine starts to labour and wants to change down, then I also often get a bit of a shudder.

These shudders are not as bad as the original shudders before the gearbox was repaired but are somewhat noticeable.

So I have some questions and am looking for your thoughts and opinions --

1. Do all Powershift owners experience some shuddering?

2. Should the gearbox be totally free of shudders?

3. Can I book the car into Ford and get a written objective assessment on the gearbox (I want to avoid the verbal “It’s ok and within tolerances” type of remark – I would like something in writing)?

Thanks for any help on this.
1. I can't speak for everyone but I think I remember seeing something about some shuddering as being "normal" and nothing to be concerned about. I had my clutch replaced and it was great for a few months but slowly but surely the shuddering came back.

2. That's the million dollar question.

3. I haven't personally tried but I guess it depends on who you take it to. Whether or not they are allowed to fix anything with out Ford saying yes I don't know.

I consistently get the shuddering when going from 2nd to 3rd gear in city driving, so areas where you can only do 50-60km an hour.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #366
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Should the gearbox be totally free of shudders?
No gearbox should shudder, Ford may tell you this ''they all do it'' this doesn't make it right hence why they no longer use the DSG in the Focus.
Stay on it and be firm (without being rude) if you have issues push your case.
note:
The car salesmen never told us when we purchased ours the auto will shudder, how many would they have sold telling the truth about shudder.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #367
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
No gearbox should shudder, Ford may tell you this ''they all do it'' this doesn't make it right hence why they no longer use the DSG in the Focus.
Stay on it and be firm (without being rude) if you have issues push your case.
note:
The car salesmen never told us when we purchased ours the auto will shudder, how many would they have sold telling the truth about shudder.
Ford still use the DPSG box in the Focus in the US and Europe. As this box has more traits to a traditional manual, the Europeans and Americans understand how this trans operates and the chararcteristics associated with it. The shudder level is measurable and should not exceed a 250 RPM difference. At 250 RPM you would be doing well to feel it or anything under this value. usually over this value means you have an issue like oil contaminated clutch or an overheated one usually from driving styles like holding the vehicle on a hill with the accelerator and no brake...
Old 18-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #368
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW have overcome some of the issues with their DSG and I notice they do not have the issue you mention on hills as they have electronic braking for hills which holds the car till the clutch engages
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #369
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Ford still use the DPSG box in the Focus in the US and Europe. As this box has more traits to a traditional manual, the Europeans and Americans understand how this trans operates and the chararcteristics associated with it. The shudder level is measurable and should not exceed a 250 RPM difference. At 250 RPM you would be doing well to feel it or anything under this value. .
If only the problems were that small, confusion of going into gear, skipping gears, delay in changing, shudder shudder at times these characteristics can put you in a dangerous position going though a round about trying to accelerate quickly and the trans has no idea what to do and other times it would be fine.
Must be the only time I can remember a car plagued with so many problems the manufacturer added 2 years to the warranty of the trans only making the trans a 5 year warranty.
Ford dealers will tell you this DSG tarnished the good Focus name.
Yes my criticism has been harsh though out this thread on the DSG we lost 50% of the value of our car in 2 years, google DSG Focus issues and you can see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
VW have overcome some of the issues with their DSG and I notice they do not have the issue you mention on hills as they have electronic braking for hills which holds the car till the clutch engages
They changed the oil in there DSG From Synthetic to Mineral.
I have driven a Golf it was smooth and felt nothing abnormal, my mums 67 HR Holden trans felt smoother than the DSG in our Focus.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 19-03-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #370
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

I just purchased the 2011 Ford Focus Trend LW Auto with 86k km's.
The seller said the transmission was replaced 4 weeks after he purchased it and no issue since. I test drove it and it didnt show any issue but lets hope not.

I said to the seller if you sold me this and you have the transmission issue that I will drive this car into your new VW passat and blame the transmission. He didnt take that well but it will happen if he sold me a lemon!
g6eturbosam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #371
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6eturbosam View Post
I just purchased the 2011 Ford Focus Trend LW Auto with 86k km's.
The seller said the transmission was replaced 4 weeks after he purchased it and no issue since. I test drove it and it didnt show any issue but lets hope not.
Ford will warranty your transmission for 5 years on this model.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #372
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Cool so I have until nov then
Old 04-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #373
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Ford will warranty your transmission for 5 years on this model.
Sort of.. it only covers the clutch and input shaft seals, not the whole trans. Also the TCM gets a 10 year warranty..
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #374
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cool so I have until nov then
Warranty starts from date of first registration, not build date...
Old 04-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #375
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

22nd Dec then

Can I use unleaded 91 e10 or have to use 95?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #376
SpoolMan

we always used 91.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #377
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
22nd Dec then

Can I use unleaded 91 e10 or have to use 95?
Out of the owners manual..

Note: The use of additives or other engine treatments not approved by Ford is not recommended.

Note: Ethanol blended fuels up to 10% (E10) is acceptable to be used in this vehicle.

The engine in your Focus has been optimised for operation on premium unleaded fuel (95 RON or higher). For all petrol variants it is also safe to operate the engine on standard unleaded fuel (91 RON minimum), however if you choose to do so, you may notice some minor loss of performance, economy and increased engine noise.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #378
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Great Im using e10
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #379
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Great Im using e10
You would be better off using 95ron e10.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #380
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Is there 95 rate e10?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #381
SpoolMan

Quote:
Is there 95 rate e10?
Normally 4 cents cheaper than the 91.

Enhanced Petrol and Engine Performance

Unleaded E10 is United Petroleum’s ethanol-based unleaded petrol offering. As a result of ethanol being present, it has an octane rating of 95; higher than the 91 octane of normal unleaded petrol. Ethanol is a natural octane enhancer - adding ethanol to petrol boosts the octane number and its performance. It also helps the other components in petrol burn more completely thereby having a cleaning effect on a cars fuel system

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/un...l/unleaded-e10

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #382
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Perfect
Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #383
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Just got the car and has a slight shudder on hill take offs and sometimes it feels like its in neutral before selecting the next gear. It did roll back on a hill like a manual!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #384
g6eturbosam
2011 FORD FOCUS LW TREND

Car booked into Ford to look at the tranny!
Old 29-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #385
alokin123

Out of curiosity, for anyone that purchased (new or used) this model after Ford extended the warranty on the clutch, did any of the dealerships mention this fact or was nothing said about the clutch issues and warranty extension?
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #386
dan-

they were very happy to sell me an extended factory warranty when i thought it'd be good insurance to buy one. they said nothing to me about the warranty already having been extended....
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 12:53 AM   #387
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
Out of curiosity, for anyone that purchased (new or used) this model after Ford extended the warranty on the clutch, did any of the dealerships mention this fact or was nothing said about the clutch issues and warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan- View Post
they were very happy to sell me an extended factory warranty when i thought it'd be good insurance to buy one. they said nothing to me about the warranty already having been extended....
Check post 199 there is a copy of the letter Ford sent out to there Focus and Fiesta DSG customers.

Old 30-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #388
dan-

I didn't receive the letter
Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 AM   #389
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan- View Post
I didn't receive the letter
It is only for certain Focus models built between April 12, 2011 through August 23, 2013. Does your vehicle fall in the build range?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #390
dan-

yes. i suspect the reason i did not receive the letter is that i updated my address details with my ford dealer, but i did not separately update them with ford australia. i presumed that the ford dealer would notify ford australia, but they did not. that is my fault, but regardless of that, when i enquired about purchasing an extended warranty, the ford dealer did not tell me that the warranty for the transmission had already been extended.