Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #61
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Making a Barra sound good?

Neighbour across from us thought my 250 XY was a V8. He was a Datsun nut though.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2023, 11:14 PM   #62
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

When I had my extractors split and a twin two inch system put on my 2v many moons ago, I fair soiled myself with delight when the exhaust chap fired her up for me and gave it a cheeky rev. PHWOOOAAARRR!
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2023, 05:43 PM   #63
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
I dunno, prior to the crossflow in the 70's you could get a decent noise out of the humble falcon six... It just seems that the pursuit of performance and efficiency have made it that much harder to get a nice noise to go along with it... Damn progress!

I don't mind most barras I hear out and about and some do sound rather splendid.. But, there is the odd droning, farting, head scratching shocker as well. I'll stick with the older gen tech I think.

Cheers, Tony
Yes them old Log ford 6 sounded the best of all the ford 6cyl
But you do know they are not a V8.

Best sounding V8 is the dual exhaust 351 Cleveland with stock exhaust manifolds not to loud or quiet is the one for me, so you can hear that sweet engine noise as well.

I had a XC Falcon 6 with extractors and dual exhaust but quiet.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #64
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turn the key...enough said ...joking aside they sound pretty good .. funnily enough owning my XR6 and also the dear ol' AU Futura both basically stock exhausts I reckon the old SOHC Intech has a more throaty sound for some reason ..Only my opinion though . After that the Barra sounds nice and of course is way quicker to drive ..goes without saying ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #65
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Turn the key...enough said ...joking aside they sound pretty good .. funnily enough owning my XR6 and also the dear ol' AU Futura both basically stock exhausts I reckon the old SOHC Intech has a more throaty sound for some reason ..Only my opinion though . After that the Barra sounds nice and of course is way quicker to drive ..goes without saying ...
Nice to see you back Roddy!

As for the Intech vs Barra (talking about the N/A's here), the SOHC gets really nasty above 3500 - 4000 rpm, as in very thrashy and strained with a lot of valve train whine. The Barra doesn't quite have the same deep sound at low revs but has more snarl up top and without that valvetrain thrash.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #66
rajaclub
Starter Motor

The main factor to the "bad" sound is the design of the turbo manifold. The stock manifold is a cast iron log style manifold with very short runners and exhaust pulses that merge as soon as they leave the cylinders. If you listen to sound clips of cars that have tubular style manifolds you'll see that the sound is alot cleaner and higher pitched but also more agressive. The Barra GT350 from Adam LZ's videos also has a tubular style manifold which gives it that sound you notice.

Take a look at this video of an XR6T with a 6boost low mount manifold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7rFqr-HUfE
rajaclub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #67
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Saw an FG G6E which had a lot of boost and substantial upgrades. Went like stink but sounded like an oil drum rolling downhill with a set of spanners loose inside.