Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #91
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hot hatch for 5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Does anyone have any experience with n15 triple sss pulsar there's a few that are going for the 3k mark and from what I know aren't a bad little car I rang around the local nissan wreckers and there seems to be a few with air intakes, exhaust, aftermarket suspension bit's for nearly nothing so modding doesn't seem to be a problem a mate of a mate had a turbo one way back when they were new.
I've also found some wrx hatches for a reasonable price or over 5k but people willing to negotiate. I had a 99 wrx when it was 5 years old and a gt forester brilliant cars only the gearbox is like glass in them.
I'd take the N15 over a similar era wrx anyday of the week. The parts will not only be cheaper but the car will be more reliable...... I'd stick with the NA version of the SR20 for that chassis though, the extra torque of adding a turbo would not be good for the cv joints.

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #92
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually how much do FTO's go for? There's an interesting choice!

Well what do you know....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4797858/?Cr=1

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #93
moneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
a 98/99 Hyundai Excel with a 4G63 conversion
but seriously i wanted a hatch and the XR4 was at the top of the list but being a 2 door i started looking at Focus' but after driving them i bought an FG Falcon

Seconded.

Reasons:
#1 You can get the car for $1000 or less and in great shape as a manual with ac.
#2 You can use the rest of the money on parts/turbo/eng rebuild.
#3 They hold the road well, are roomy inside and have plenty of aftermarket parts.
#4 Very aerodynamic.

Another option would be an inline 6 cylinder Toyota Cressida. Getting long in the tooth now though. And its not a hatchback.

Last edited by moneypit; 21-06-2017 at 09:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #94
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also being AFF

An older Focus aztec would fit the bill, we owned one for 3 or 4 years and was quick reliable and handled great...would own again..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #95
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I drove a Mitsubishi for 6 years. It was horrible and possibly the worst 6 years of my life. But being a work car there was nothing I could do about it. I don't get Mitsubishi people, surely the most breakdowns or failures to start aren't a badge of honor. To be fair it was an 09 l300 van, things like evolutions surely are built better.I'm still intregued as to what the op ends up purchasing.
HAHAHA WTF? Seriously? You disliked a mitsubishi van and then question if an EVO is different???

HAHAHA..

I was thinking of buying an AMG c63.. but wasn't keen on the handling of my VITO so decided to not buy one...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #96
.:4:.
Kicking back

This may be a stupid comment, but maybe be a spectator in the local events you plan to run in. Get an idea of what cars do well in the class/classes you want to have a go at. Surely the guys and girls will be up for a chat and be willing to give an idea of what the car and setup cost. It's not top fuel drag racing where everything is tight lipped, it's grass roots, run what you brang, didn't win but had a good time racing.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #97
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some interesting buys at the top of the list... A couple of nice Peugeot GTI's if you refine it further to light cars only.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...9.%29&limit=12

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 22-06-2017 at 12:19 AM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #98
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a Mazda 3 sp23, my mums Mazda has been solid from new her bk 2005 Mazda 3, she will upgrade it soon, goes alright the car.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #99
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my wife saw a volvo C70 the other day and said can we get one, i looked up the prices and though yeah! but nah... same engine as the XR5T, twin top convertable for $10k (cheaper for soft top and coupes), however if you want a hatch a C30 T5 would be a cheaper alternative than an XR5T but with a huge 4kw extra and 100kg lighter so it might look less sporty but might go harder
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4802664/?Cr=0
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #100
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Some interesting buys at the top of the list... A couple of nice Peugeot GTI's if you refine it further to light cars only.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...9.%29&limit=12
Yeah some very interesting things there definitely.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post