Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 08-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

Default 83 Telstar engine dies for no reason

Lately our car just dies or no reason. It seemingly happens at random.
The car will run for a while, then suddenly just stop without warning.
It appears that it just stops putting out spark from the distributor, but we can't figure out why. When it's done its dead thing, and we check the spark plug cables, no spark is generated... then after a while, suddenly it starts sparking again. Battery is new and charges OK.

We've tried replacing several parts to rectify the problem but the problem persists.
It has a new ignition coil.
The distributor cap is new.
All the spark plug cables are newly replaced too.

We are booking it into a garage again for their opinion on Monday.

Any ideas?
BlackDalek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 83 Telstar engine dies for no reason

You've covered off most of the obvious causes but it sounds like something is overheating if it gets better 'after awhile'. Does it have a ballast resistor?

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

No idea what a ballast resistor is, but will investigate to find out if it has one.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would suspect the ignition module in the distributor has an intermittant fault.The module in my 351 f100 had the same symtoms.Wouldn,t start,let it sit for a few minutes then off we go.might happen 3 days in a row then be good for weeks.New module 4 years ago no problems since then.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
XAGT1972
XAGT351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I would suspect the ignition module in the distributor has an intermittant fault.The module in my 351 f100 had the same symtoms.Wouldn,t start,let it sit for a few minutes then off we go.might happen 3 days in a row then be good for weeks.New module 4 years ago no problems since then.
Back in the early 90's but we had an 87 TX5 that did the same thing. Replaced the ignition module and that fixed the problem.
XAGT1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGT1972 View Post
Back in the early 90's but we had an 87 TX5 that did the same thing. Replaced the ignition module and that fixed the problem.
Yep - same here. The TFI module is located at the bottom of the distributor & is a sealed unit that is packed with dialectric grease (for heat insulation). The unit cracks easily & as a result, loses grease, overheats & causes spark failure.
Google "telstar distributor grease" & all will be revealed.....
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

After the garage had a look at it, they decided they want to replace the whole distributor at a cost of around $500 + labour.
I just decided to have another look at it and see if I could locate the ignition module. After a few minutes, worked out that there was a metal cover on the side that could be removed with 2 screws. Inside is what looks to me like the ignition module images I saw on google. This black plastic piece is completely surrounded by thermal grease which seems to have leaked out of the black module.
Does that sound like the location of the problem? Should there be any grease at all outside that black plastic thing? There was at least a desert spoon's worth of grease around it.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In short the answer is no it shouldn't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

Okay.. so it would be a HUGE coincidence if the leaked grease from the module was NOT the cause of the "no spark" problem ;)
Old 13-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thermal grease is usually white.I would suggest the black stuff is accumulated oil resulting from engine blowby which has semi dried out over the years.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The thermal grease is usually white.I would suggest the black stuff is accumulated oil resulting from engine blowby which has semi dried out over the years.
Yes... the grease is white/translucent only the plastic module is black. There is no black grease. I guess you misread somewhere ;)
Old 18-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDalek View Post
Yes... the grease is white/translucent only the plastic module is black. There is no black grease. I guess you misread somewhere ;)
Yep - the grease has escaped from the module - causing the module to now overheat & shut down randomly.
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
Grant245

I know this is an old thread, but I just put this up for info if any one searches.
I had this exact problem on a Telstar I owned once and after changing the ignition module, the problem turned out to be the crank angle sensor.
Grant245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

We haven't had a problem with the car randomly dying since the ignition module was replaced. Seems to have done the trick.