Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 18-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
laserpointer
Starter Motor

Default KQ Laser head gasket replacement

Hi all. I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I have a blown head gasket on my 2001 laser SR2. Is it possible to change the head gasket and timing belt with the engine in the car. It doesn't seem to have a lot of room in the front of the engine to remove the crank pulley. I have the manual and although it looks a bit complicated I think I should be able to manage it providing I can do it without removing the engine. Any tips would be helpful.
laserpointer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default Re: KQ Laser head gasket replacement

yes engine stays in

very quick write up

car stands
support motor on a floor jack and block of wood
undo and remove battery
undo the top engine mount
take off all the parts that need to be removed to get to the timing belt cover

alternator
power steering pump if fitted

dont undo air con compressor pipes ..that unit can be tied up or supported out of the way

for working the bottom part of the engine
take of the wheel and you work through the wheel arch

replace the timing cover seal

where is the water pump ..if driven by the timing belt internally
you would normally fit a new pump

make sure all the timing marks are lined up and marked with white out or white paint
before thinking of removing the timing belt

mark the old belt positions as well and direction of rotation

you may like to take out the starter motor
to hold the crank firm while undoing the crank pully
Old 20-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
laserpointer
Starter Motor

Default Re: KQ Laser head gasket replacement

Thanks heaps for the reply. Good to know the engine can stay in. Will let you know how I go. Hopefully I will get time this weekend to get it sorted.
laserpointer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post