Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Default Fitting a Whiteline rear sway bar - lotsa pics

I fitted my new 22mm sway bar this arvo and I took a few pics of the procedure (thanks again to Reade from Pedders in St. Kilda for getting the bar in so quickly).

The installation can be done with the car on the ground, but a big bloke like me needs more room to move so I borrowed a pair of ramps from a mate. You can use jack stands, but you'll need a trolley jack under the rear beam to keep the springs compressed. Don't forget to use chocks on the front wheels.

The kit contains all the hardware you need (but not the Stanley knife - that's mine!), plus 2 extra bolts and a little packet of thread lock. The instructions are clearly illustrated, but there's not much descriptive text.

These clamps fit perfectly on the rear beam. If your car is ABS-equipped, you'll need to be careful not to trap any cables or hoses under the clamp.

The yellow polyurethane D-bushes slip easily onto the sway bar. Getting the metal D-bush bracket onto the threaded ends of the clamp was much harder. It took a little perseverance and a lot of elbow grease, but I managed it in the end.

Leave the nuts loose at this point. My wife's old yoga mat made a comfortable surface on which to lie.

The bolt at the bottom of the gas strut needs to be undone, which is why the springs need to be compressed by the car's weight. Using a steel bar over the end of the socket wrench (lengthening the handle) allows you to exert a lot more torque on the bolt. Once extracted, slip the drop link bracket on the bolt and screw it back in.

The completed left-side drop link. I hadn't tightened the nuts at this point - I waited until the car was on level ground.

Both drop links attached to the sway bar. A detailed diagram for the washers and bushes is included on the instruction sheet.

Off the ramps and back on level ground, I finally tightened all the nuts.

All done! The job took me about 90 minutes, but skinny guys with better tools could probably do it in an hour. The hardest part was getting the D-bush brackets onto the rear beam clamps. If desired, the excess length on the clamps can be cut off with an angle grinder or hacksaw.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

So......... Hows it feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I took it for a test drive earlier this evening.
The car feels much more planted in the corners now. Turn-in is sharper and I could only detect the slightest hint of body roll.
There's a quick left-hand corner near where I live that can be taken at 45-50kph in the dry, and I did it this evening at 45kph on a wet road, with no discernible understeer.

I'll be flogging it during tomorrow's cruise with the Small Ford Alliance, and I'll have more to say after that.

For now, though, I'll say that was $250 well spent.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 30-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Just curious, what is the ground clearance near the wheel?
Old 30-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Fi.ES.TA

Will be good to get some more feedback on your install,as i recently noticed the sway on the back end is terrible felds like my wheels are going to snap off on bad bends.

Also would love to the ground clearence as yours looks pretty low
i ask this because if you get a blow out at speed that sway bar looks like
its going to smash the ground?
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

nice write up Chris! Nice work, you've inspired me to put mine on now... When i finish my godamn uni course :(

It's good to see a write up on an install with proper photos and instructions too match.

Thanks mate.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Ben85

Mine is lowered with a sway bar and the ground clearance is fine. I've had it on for nearly 6months and have never scraped anything. And it handles like a dream now!!!! Good write up Fled, $250 seems pricey tho, i had mine fitted for less than that.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was your car equipt with the Zetec style sports suspension mate? My WP Zetec is fabulous around corners, bugger all roll, my WS however is like a barge boat body roll wise. I'm a novice with all this stuff, so sorry for all the questions. Can the bar be fittted to a WS (I'm pretty sure near identical rear setup) and does it have any major effect on your ride?

Cheers man.
Old 30-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think I'd want a car with any more stiffness than the WS has stock!. The roads around here just aren't up for it
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Fi.ES.TA

Lmao what stiffness on the WS it's like the back ends made of jelly.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Was your car equipt with the Zetec style sports suspension mate? My WP Zetec is fabulous around corners, bugger all roll, my WS however is like a barge boat body roll wise. I'm a novice with all this stuff, so sorry for all the questions. Can the bar be fittted to a WS (I'm pretty sure near identical rear setup) and does it have any major effect on your ride?

Cheers man.
Yea mine has the WQ Zetec suspension set up but with lowered King Springs. When i put the sway bar on i noticed an immediate difference in the body roll, especially considering my sister has a WQ Lx for me to compare it too, hers is like a boat. I dont kno if the same sway bar will fit the WS, have to ask ur mechanic.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 30-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow if your WQ Zetec felt a difference then this must be a pretty decent bit of kit! You must live your car on the limit man!!! I could not go any lower or harder than my WP factory sports kit. Has roll on the limit and does start to loose confidence 7/10 to the limit, but it's rough as guts!!!
Old 30-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Wow if your WQ Zetec felt a difference then this must be a pretty decent bit of kit! You must live your car on the limit man!!! I could not go any lower or harder than my WP factory sports kit. Has roll on the limit and does start to loose confidence 7/10 to the limit, but it's rough as guts!!!
Love the bends mate, love the bends. Doesnt hold up against much in a straight line, but round some windy road, most had better move over. mwahahahahaha.

Old 30-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And people call these cars hairdresser cars? Prft.
Old 30-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Ok, what is the difference between a WQ LX and Zetec?

I know the Zetec as standard has a slightly lower ride height but what else?
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Shorter gearing and ABS as standard from memory.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Rapid.. its funny u say that, cause the WP suspension was the same throughout the entire range. only the WQ got suspension and gear changes

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Fled74
The Thread Killa

You guys are right, the bar is a bit too low - for the correct height, check out the pics on THIS THREAD.

I've adjusted them to the correct height. Still, the Fez handles so much better now. I did a high-speed run (80kph) up the Reefton Spur with the Small Ford Alliance and the car was very well-behaved in the twisties. No skittishness or slithering over mid-corner bumps. There was no discernible understeer or lift-off oversteer, but then again I wasn't pushing it very hard. I may have lifted the inside rear wheel on a couple of corners though!
I could have gone faster, but I was still feeling out the car's limits, plus I'd never driven that road before (and I have a slight fear of heights).

Old 31-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The WP Zetec, not sure on WQ, has a different set-up from the rest of the range. Just Ford's sports suspension setup. When Ford released the WS they said they didn't feel it was necessary to bring in an equivalent setup as the WP as it was too loud on our Aussie roads. The Zetec did get sports suspension, hence why I bought it over an LX. I find facts to back this up shortly...
Old 31-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I'm pretty sure only the WQ Zetec got the sports suspension.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Sorry to burst your bubble there rapid. But i am 100% certain that only the WQ got the change in suspension.

Fiesta rate of progression is

WP>WQ>WS.

The first ever fiesta's never had any different setups, i would know, i had one for 2 years and looked into the subject extensively.

The WQ zetec got lowered springs, hardened shocks, larger sway bar and a shorter gearing as well i do believe. the WP zetec got exactly the same as the LX, only difference was that the Zetec got the "safety" pack, which included, abs and ebd.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your spot on? I always though the WP had it?

Last edited by RapidTyphoon; 31-08-2009 at 07:48 PM.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post