Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #31
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's plenty of power greenfoam, you're just not driving it right! haha. I'm so used to my little 1.6L engines that when I hope into the company car BFII Falcon with 6-Speed ZF I feel like I'm driving a supercar!

Doctamick, there is mention of it in the owners manual, but maybe I'm reading the book wrong?
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #32
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Versus out MK5 GTI (with stage 1), the Fiesta does very well in terms of power/torque.

Maybe we got a good one ?

Still, I made sure we both drove it hard the first 200 km (per run in suggestions from a number of mech experts).

Once past the initial few hundred km's, driving style has little impact on bedding the rings/sleeves/pistons in.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #33
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lost with the running in period crap. People say drive it soft, some say rev the guts out of it?? WTF is the right way? Ford say drive normal but don't excessivly rev in the first few hundred, so I have done that (perhaps a little to soft on it) but is there a right or wrong way?

Candyman2 I recon mine is a little beast in terms of power. A wolf is slightly sheepey clothing! Lots of go after 2000rpm, but hitting four grand reveals more than enough power for me. Plenty of up and go, all while sipping on fuel!
Old 24-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon

Candyman2 I recon mine is a little beast in terms of power. A wolf is slightly sheepey clothing! Lots of go after 2000rpm, but hitting four grand reveals more than enough power for me. Plenty of up and go, all while sipping on fuel!
Pretty much what I and wife think mate.

I've had SC V6's, LS1's and LS2's.

Sure, the little Fezz isn't a barnstormer but it impressed me no end.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #35
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah well it does go pretty good, my wife thinks it's fast but my daily car can get to 100 in 5.5 seconds or make lines and smoke to 100, either/or so the Fiesta seems a bit of a slug to me. However I realise it's 0-100 times are comparable to the VH 3.3 litre manual I learned to drive in. And back then that felt plenty fast (scary even on my first drive as a kid). Rapid the time for running in the rings has long since past you by and yours is returning great fuel figures so whatever you did, you did a good job
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #36
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha! Cool. Thanks man, I'll do a run tomorro and then give her a good poke on the hiway! I think I just got a good one, but we'll see.
Old 25-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #37
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
Yeah sure, it's advisable to vary the rev and throttle input during break-in period instead of revving it at one spot (cruising steadily on the freeway) so the piston rings would maintain a good seal. I don't have any empirical evidence to back up this notion, but I have read it in a few owner manuals. Cruising at low revs produce little stress in the cylinder as if the engine is only free running. If you have to commute through lots of traffic free roads, try to take your car for a spirited run on a hilly area.
yes but at the same time, you should never baby the car. given it a bit of stick, but don't over rev it. This will ensure better response and fuel effieciency later.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
oatis
Starter Motor

Default Mine getting 11L/100KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Post first service (oil change in engine and gearbox) we are getting consistently ....

City - 7 to 7.5
Freeway - 5 to 6 (110-115 kph)

Haven't found any problem with the seat winders.

Sounds like I have serious problem with fuel consumption. I am getting 9-10L/100KM from past 4 refills. initially i thought it was due to hilly roads&sydney city driving but seems you are getting good 7-7.5 out of this auto WS. Mine's been through 2000+ KM already... Any ideas guys?
oatis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What fuel do you use man? I have been using 98 Ultimate, maybe that's why my figures are so good?
Old 25-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatis
S but seems you are getting good 7-7.5 out of this auto WS. Mine's been through 2000+ KM already... Any ideas guys?
Ours is the 1.6 manual, no auto.

We only run 98 in it.

No babying at all - driven rather hard in fact.
Old 25-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update : since its 15k service, and ECU reflash the fuel consumption has improved. It has done 300kms for half a tank. Which is around 60kms more than before. Trip gives a total tank as 580kms. But will know better when I fill it next week before the state fuel subsidy goes. It is running smoother, and pick up is better.So far, much happier with the Fez.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #42
doctamick

Candyman2, I didn't get the oil change. I only read your post after I had already got the car back from the dealer. However, since this oil change is not part of the standard factory service, I musn't be too critical.

Regarding the running in, I have the same sort of view. If there were specific running in requirements that were critical to the performance / reliability/ longevity of the motor, I think that the owner's manual would say something about it.

The above two comments put a lot of trust in Ford and their engineering. But I guess if I didn't trust Ford (Germany), I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place!
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #43
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
. But I guess if I didn't trust Ford (Germany), I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place!
I don't trust any vehicle manufacturer past the factory warranty

As far as running in goes and early oil changes, I'll always put faith in engineers and mechanics that know their stuff but often Ford's published material doesn't agree with them
Old 28-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuel consumption has improved remarkably since service/ECU reflash.
373kms for 28.32l. ie 7.79l/100kms or 37.22mpg. Previous was 9l/100kms or 25mpg.
Anyone else having fuel consumption problems get the ECU reflashed and 10w-30w oil.
See if FEZ maintains this fuels consumption.!
Old 28-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #45
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's still very high. My average is sitting at 6.1 now, but I'm going to reset the trip computer because I think my consumption just keeps getting lower? Perhaps you've gotten a few batches of crap fuel?

I thought the Firsta takes 5W/30 oil. That's what my manual says to use, in line with my previous Fiesta.
Old 28-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

i found it took about 20000km;s in my new fez before i was getting descent fuel economy it has hit 29000 today and i get roughly 560km;s city driving 45 litre tank running on unleaded 95oct.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
golden
2009 WS Moondust Silver

Filled up today, first time the distance to empty (DTE) said over 500k. It was 509.2km. Hoping it will get better. Only 2700km on the clock all city driving. My previous car - WQ Zetec was consistantly around 550 DTE each fill.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
That's still very high. My average is sitting at 6.1 now, but I'm going to reset the trip computer because I think my consumption just keeps getting lower? Perhaps you've gotten a few batches of crap fuel?

I thought the Firsta takes 5W/30 oil. That's what my manual says to use, in line with my previous Fiesta.
Delco 10w 30w was put in by my FORD service dept. I use Mobil 8000 or Caltex Premium, but it could be poor quality fuel ??thats whats near me. See if mine improves after 20k.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #49
Ben85

I wouldnt use Caltex Premium, Caltex is known to be a very dirty fuel. I'd try and get some BP Ultimate, or Shell V-power. A mate of mine who is a mechanic races cars and found he got more power and economy out of the BP Ultimate followed closely by Shell V-power.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #50
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Ben85. The added cost in buying 98 Untimate is nothing when you take into account the extra power (you couldn't run my old Fiesta on anything less otherwise it felt gutless) and MUCH better economy. The old Fez would use about 7.5 l/100km on 91 with my driving, yet would drop to high 6's on 98. I've driven a WS Fiesta on 91 and it felt gutless in comparisin to my 98 fed WS. Make the change mate!

I too have had issues with Caltex fuel, from those horrid Woolworths servos. NEVER AGAIN. V-Power is quite good too, but 98 just works for me.
Old 29-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #51
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I've had problems with Ultimate - in our previous vehicle, a Forester XT (tuned to run only on 98 and above)

I've never had problems with Caltex, ever and that is what the Fiesta, 323 and GTI all run on and have done for a long time..

Most of the 98 comes from the same few refineries.

It is more the individual servo that is the issue.

As for differences between 91 and 98 in the WS - the WS is tuned for minimum 91 from what I've read so it is very unlikely any power differences would be seen versus 98 ie placebo in terms of RON rating.

I still put 98 in it because the price differential is very small and I do believe the WS runs smoother on 98 but again could be a servo related issue.
Old 29-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #52
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See I disagree. Put 91 in your Fiesta Candayman and I'd bet my left-nut you'll notice a difference. I recon it's a faily obvious difference, especially in my WP Fiesta. Not so much the WS, but noticible. The throddle is more jumpy, seems to pick up better in the lower rev range and by crikey when you hit just under four grand it feels like it's going to take off! Then the torque dies and the engine just revvs very loud...hahaha!

The other Fiesta I drove was an LX with 91 in it, felt quite gutless.
Old 29-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
I've had problems with Ultimate - in our previous vehicle, a Forester XT (tuned to run only on 98 and above)

I've never had problems with Caltex, ever and that is what the Fiesta, 323 and GTI all run on and have done for a long time..

Most of the 98 comes from the same few refineries.

It is more the individual servo that is the issue.

As for differences between 91 and 98 in the WS - the WS is tuned for minimum 91 from what I've read so it is very unlikely any power differences would be seen versus 98 ie placebo in terms of RON rating.

I still put 98 in it because the price differential is very small and I do believe the WS runs smoother on 98 but again could be a servo related issue.
The Fiesta being a european car is tuned for 95Ron. It will run on 91Ron fuel seeing as it has a knock sensor
Old 29-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #54
Ben85

Quote:
Well our two fiesta's, VT V8 commodore, VE Clubsport, and Subaru Liberty all dont like Caltex fuels. And thats a few different servo's. But each to there own. With BP its better to go to the servos that are owned by BP. You can normally tell by the price difference between Ultimate and 91, if its more than 14-15cents its probably a private service station.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #55
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
The Fiesta being a european car is tuned for 95Ron. It will run on 91Ron fuel seeing as it has a knock sensor
Be careful as Euro RON rating is different to ours.

Also, if it is indeed 95 minimum, (it is not specified) but if true then yes, minimum 95 but running 98 will have no impact -at all.
Old 29-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #56
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
Well our two fiesta's, VT V8 commodore, VE Clubsport, and Subaru Liberty all dont like Caltex fuels. And thats a few different servo's. But each to there own. With BP its better to go to the servos that are owned by BP. You can normally tell by the price difference between Ultimate and 91, if its more than 14-15cents its probably a private service station.
Our entire fleet (more than 100 cars) run on Caltex and/or Ultimate. They include V6 Commies, Falcons, number of V8's and some Mitsi's.

The question has been asked of the drivers many times - no noticeable or consistent impact of Caltex vs Ultimate.

However, certain servos were documented as being an issue (some of which included BP Ultimate suppliers).

98 comes from the few common refineries.
Old 30-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #57
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local BP often gets Ultimate 98 that my car wont hardly idle on so I don't use it anymore. I just use Caltex Vortex 95/6? all my best times at the drags have been on that fuel so in my opinion it must be the best. Shell probably make it anyway. Caltex don't have a refinery here I don't think
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #58
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarti...tentId=7028158

The Saabs pictured are 91ron capable cars. Call it or not, but I swear by 98 Premium fuel, wether it be from BP or not. They can't just claim 'added performance' for the sake of it, and I've felt it in my Fiestas. Using 98, or 95 for that matter, over 91 DOES add performance and reduces fuel consumption.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #59
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just checked the fuel consumption on the fiesta and its reading exactly 7.0 l\100. Thats on 95ron fuel 9k on the odo, 5sp manual.
I ran her in like i did my FPV... Hard!!! Thats not thrashing her but varying the revs up to 5500rpm after the initial 500-600km's.
Compared to the test drive we had ,our lil fez goes very good for a little 1.6lt.
Dumped the oil at 5k(comp service) and refilled with 5w30. Initially it used a bit of oil, but am now monitring it.
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #60
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Second fuel consumption check since service and ecu reflash.
336kms and 27.38l used. ie 8.14l per 100kms or 34.68mpg.
I drive 30kms a day to work/home, using Ipswich Motorway, not in peak times, as I am a shift worker.
Both refills on Mobil Synergy 8000. Not as good fuel consumption as other Fez owners. !