Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
himynameisho

Default Are MK6 Fiestas reliable?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and very interested in buying a secondhand Ford Fiesta Zetec (probably auto) and I just want to know if this is a reliable and fun car to drive. This is also the continuation of a thread in the Pub as I was recommended to come to this side of the forum for more clarification
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11268763

Thanks again

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

My WP 04' zetec has had no issues really, one thing i had was the two oxy sensors in the exhaust went one after the other. thats the only thing i've had really break on me. and its never broken down. As for the fun part, it's a superb handler and a rorty 1.6L, with enough power 74kw/146NM to move 1090kg. + the small price tag, and really good build quality. One thing i might suggest is to try a manual too, might be more spritely...unless you need an auto. happy hunting.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
himynameisho

Oh I'd love a manual myself, as it'd save petrol but I would need lessons and I think it would be rather troublesome for the parents as they dont know manual as well and it wouldn't be smart for them to attempt to drive a manual even after i teach them. So to be safe, I'll stick with an auto if I manage to find a good deal
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Ben85

Great little cars mate, i've got a WQ Zetec Manual and my sister has the WQ LX Auto, both fun little cars!!! Had no problems at all!!!!

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

In general they seem to be pretty sharp. I bought one new in 05 and sold it to a mate, the only thing to go on it under warranty was the water pump. I've heard anecdotally that the auto is a very good box for a slusher but go the manual if you can. They boogie pretty well but being a 1.6L are a bit shy on torque.

Fit and finish it very good, though the WP dash may not be to your taste.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
himynameisho

sorry I'm a bit of a car noob, what do you mean by slusher? And at this point, I think I'm not looking at the WQ, just the WP fiestas
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slusher is another term for automatic.

My WP is still going strong. Had one issue with the clutch where the plastic bit that holds the pedal to the slave-cylinder clutch broke. $200 despite the 05 model being recalled for this. Good on fuel, fun to drive, rorty little engine just loves to revv, build is great for a car of this price range and year, very solid also. Heavy steering apart, it's a faboulus little car. Very reliable, mine has 98,000 on it. Needs a tune up though.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I got my WP LX brand new in 2005 and the only real problem I had was the right rear wheel bearing needed replacing a few months ago. I drive it hard 55% of the time, and drive like a granny for the other 45%.
It's never broken down and it makes the most of its limited power and torque, meaning it's good fun to drive as well.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
himynameisho

Is the driving experience very different between the manual and automatic WP fiesta?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Oscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisho
Hi, I'm new to the forums and very interested in buying a secondhand Ford Fiesta Zetec (probably auto) and I just want to know if this is a reliable and fun car to drive. This is also the continuation of a thread in the Pub as I was recommended to come to this side of the forum for more clarification
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11268763

Thanks again
Ive got an auto 2004 WP LX and find its a good city and suburban car, small footprint is easy to park and turn, enough power for everyday commuting. Freeway driving can get noisy and car can struggle up steep hills. Ford Focus is a more refined drive.
Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
himynameisho
Starter Motor

I'd prefer to keep to the Fiesta, as its smaller and suits my needs while a Focus is more expensive.

All that said, I've really honed in on one particular 04 Fiesta Zetec, went for a test drive and really enjoyed it, the RPM did go over 4000 when it tried to go up a steep hill.. no biggy?
himynameisho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

sounds like a normal auto thing to me ;)
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
himynameisho
Starter Motor

Going to get a mechanic inspection for it soon hopefully

I really enjoyed the test drive, the turning is great. Compared to the Jazz (which I tried on the same day), it really felt like a real car with a fiesty engine
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

That's one thing the Fiesta has over any other current small car, real character. The engines in both 1.6L and 2L have a nice note and they corner like mad. Apologies to the WS guys but nothing beats the meaty hydraulic power steering on the WP/WQs either, it has real feeling.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

agreed, thats the one thing i like the best...! You can always be sure of what the front wheels are telling you.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
himynameisho
Starter Motor

update: mechanic inspection was a success!

except the radiator was "leaking" and there was excess noise when going uphill

the dealership mechanic who i called after receiving the report said he forgot to firmly close the radiator? after it was serviced a month earlier and the excess noise was from using ethanol fuel.

after all the touchups and small fixes, hopefully picking up the car on tuesday!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
FTRXR8

Good work mate.

I am sure a higher qaulity fuel should reduce engine noise, I assume there was some pinging occuring?

I have an 07 WQ LX and touch wood the only thing even slighty wrong is a slight short in one side of the dash lights which causes a flicker ever now and again, so slight Ford struggle to fault it.
Tint
USA Focus ST Carbon Fibre shifter
Mountune Symposer Delete
Blue ST Badging
FTRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
himynameisho
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXTC
I am sure a higher qaulity fuel should reduce engine noise, I assume there was some pinging occuring?
Yeah, I think pinging was the term he referred to, I'm still learning car vocabulary
Old 11-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #19
ads266
Starter Motor

No problem's at all, got mine in 06 and covered 55k. No warranty work, always starts first time. The best car I have owned to be honest.
ads266 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had a manual WP and I now have a WQ auto Zetec, agree with comments here. Brilliant cars, why they aren't selling beggars belief !! Could it be FORD's marketing or dealers or both ????
Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
morbo

have a 07 wq lx auto. no problems at all here.
the only two problems that i've experienced is an incorrectly fitted mp3 aux connector and a squeaky rear suspension. both were fixed under warranty.

the auto is a pretty decent auto. obviously not as good as the newer 5/6 speeders, but better than other 4 speeders in the competition.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
himynameisho
Starter Motor

woooo
:

Maybe put more pics up later
Old 13-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

you won't regret it mate. Congrats
Old 14-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

And it's Aquarius, nice ;). Have fun, bud.