Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Perth Falcons

Old 26-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Tezbo-BAXR8

Default BOSS 290 into BA XR8

Hello Everone,

I'm planning to take my Boss 260 out and fit a Boss 290 in place of it. I was told by a bloke at one of the motor wreckers in Melbourne that I need to install a tune or run a Boss 290 computer because if I run my standard computer, I'll blow the engine up.

Can any one confirm or denie this, as I'm not sure if this blokes pullin' my leg or not.

Tezbo-BAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BOSS 290 into BA XR8

The tune would definetely be different from the 260 to 290, I wonder if a flash of your current 260 ECU would do the trick?

How come your putting the Boss 290 in, just out of interest, obvious answer would be for the power increase?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
drew1491
290 BF XR8

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on coli-over installation. 

The tune is different but you shouldn't damage the motor by driving around on the stock 260 tune, they are very conservative. I drove around for about a month after doing my conversion from 260 to 290 before getting a custom tune on the stock computer.

BF XR8 in Bionic
Back burner for now

NL Pajero

Camping/adventuring vehicle
Faded paint and smells funky

Honda CBR 300R
Daily
drew1491 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Tezbo-BAXR8

Hi drew 1491,

I'm glad to read that you've done the swap for a 290 from a 260 but sorry to hear that the bearing failed as my circumstances are different.

I'm from Perth too, and just wondering if you don't mind, would you be able to give me a hand with the swap once I source a 290, as I used to have a massive 6 X 10 shed when we were renting, but now we've bought a house North of Perth, I'm reduced to a carport!

Cheers mate,

Tez.
Old 29-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Spooty did the 290 engine install in a BA....
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=spooty&page=7
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Tezbo-BAXR8

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering all options with my BA XR8 at the moment and I'm not sure which one i'll choose out of a 290, a 302, or a 315. It's probably gonna come down to the price and adaptability of the 315 to my BA's 4 speed auto.

If I run the 315, I think I'll have to have the auto strenthened considerably and a custom tune on my original computer no doubt, but I'm not sure if the motor will run on my computer before I get it custom tuned.

I'm waiting on feedback from fpvspares.com.au and when I've got all the facts and figures I'll keep ya's all posted. Hail the Boss!!:

Tez.
Old 21-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
xr6eta

Hey Tez

Just wondering if you went ahead with this conversion. I got quoted $10g from FPV SPARES in Sydney for a 315 conversion with 6sp manual or auto, my choice. That is with changeover with 260, if I want to keep the 260, add another $1500. $11,500 with engine, gearbox, computer fully installed and tuned.
xr6eta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

HI Tez, mate off mine has dropped a 315 into his ba ute,still running the 4 speed auto.He also got the ECU with the motor,bought it out of a damaged super pursuit,probably need to shop around at some wreckers.Cheers Geoff.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS 2003 LX Focus Sedan,Silver.

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont.

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

interesting wonder if anyone has thought about coyote crate engine swap into their B series yet?

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggav View Post
interesting wonder if anyone has thought about coyote crate engine swap into their B series yet?
Hopefully someone is working on it, would be an awesome upgrade.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the going price for a low kay boss 290?

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
xr6eta

As per my previous post, FPV spares in Sydney quoted $11,500 for a 315 conversion with manual/auto gearbox, computer the works. $1500 cheaper if you leave your old Boss with them. I don't know if a 290 would be any cheaper and I only got a conversion price because I wouldn't know where to start with a conversion and if I did, I don't have anywhere to do it anyway.

I asked about Coyote engines and they said they could do it but the conversion would be around $20-25K. Don't know if that's good or not.

I won't be doing a conversion for some time but definately want to get my homework done on value for money and bang for buck. I hope you don't think I'm stealing this thread but it appears as though it was done with, apologies if it wasn't.

Any opinions on a 315 over a coyote at those prices quoted, given what could probably be done to a 315 for the extra dollars. Happy to take all opinions on board. This is not for a track car or to be thrashed, I would just like something a little unique and I think a converted Xr8 would probably surprise a few people when the bonnet gets popped, as well the extra power.
xr6eta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Tezbo-BAXR8

Smile Re: BOSS 315 into FG XR8

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on this forum for about 3 years and I have a project car in mind to build, well an engine swap to be exact. I am in the process of buying a BA XR8 with a 315 motor fitted and I plan to fit it into an FG XR8, If anyone has any advice on this engine swap, It would be very welcome.

Regards,

Tez
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Tezbo-BAXR8

Default Re: BOSS 315 into FG XR8

Hello Fellow Ford Fans,
Although I haven't been on this forum for some time, I have been squiralling away some dollars and soon will buy a FG GT. I have always been keen to experiment with alloy engine blocks, and making enquiries lately, I've found you can buy a 5.4 alloy block stroked to 5.8 with rotating assembly for around US 10K. Saving for a house deposit amongst other things, it's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but I'd still love to make it happen. These 5.8 alloy blocks are 50 kilos lighter than the cast iron cousin.

Regards,

Tez[/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saving to guy a 315KW FG GT then planning on spending another 10K on it. whilst saving for the house deposit...
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Why not just get a miami powered GT. Not much difference in price.
Cheaper without all the stuffing around. and you get a perfectly legal reliable car wearing a GT badge.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2023, 10:26 AM   #17
Sharkey
Starter Motor

Default Re: BOSS 290 into 2002 ford f 250

Hi I have a 2002 ford f 250 two wheel drive which comes with a 5.4 two valve standard.I have to pull the motor because it has a oil leak on the back of the right hand bank between the head and the block, seams like a common fault .The motor has 220 ks on it. has any body done a up grade to a boss 260 or 290.from the 220.Would all the electrical connections be the same and what other problems would i find?
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post