Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation WF Festiva gear linkage and exhaust

Hi everyone and happy new year.

I just bought a cheap 1.3 WF Festiva Trio without power steering and a few issues.

Is gutless so just purchased a set of Pacemakers. Will there be any benefit without a bigger diameter exhaust? Also can the catalytic converter be removed with just bolts?

The other thing that irritates me is the gear shift is extremely loose and sloppy, with heaps of lateral movement in gear. Is there something I can tighten? or do I need to replace bushes etc?

The steering is very heavy but I guess that's just to be expected, unless there's another part that wears out here and makes steering effort hard? I know it needs a wheel balance since it vibrates on the freeway.

Thanks and i am honoured to be part of the festiva club (not really)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
stock1991
Limited supply

Default Re: WF Festiva gear linkage and exhaust

sorry I am no help but curious, does it have A/C
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I am not sure if adding the extractors is going to give you much of a power increase to make much of a difference.

The cat should unbolt at both the manifold end and flange end, just use a bit of WD40 to loosen the rust build up.

As for the gear shift, below is an image of the linkage assembly. Most common are bush 2 and 9 that wear away. Also plate 5 can fall apart in side and usually cannot be fixed, but replaced. Until you have a good look, your not going to know exactly what has worn away. Some parts are still available new if need be.

Festiva Gear Shift.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
sorry I am no help but curious, does it have A/C
Yes. got it regassed apparently the system isn't in the best nic but it works. when the compressor is on, the power drain is absolutely astounding. This is why I got the Pacemakers but if i put them on the existing system, I'm hoping this won't negate any benefit. I don't care about performance per se, just want it to be bearable. I hate driving it with the low power and gearshift and steering issues now so i just want to spend a little bit to make it breathe better and somewhat ok to drive.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I am not sure if adding the extractors is going to give you much of a power increase to make much of a difference.

The cat should unbolt at both the manifold end and flange end, just use a bit of WD40 to loosen the rust build up.

As for the gear shift, below is an image of the linkage assembly. Most common are bush 2 and 9 that wear away. Also plate 5 can fall apart in side and usually cannot be fixed, but replaced. Until you have a good look, your not going to know exactly what has worn away. Some parts are still available new if need be.

Attachment 98062
Thanks GTLEGEND.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Just thinking that if I remember right, these were not that bad on power as you explain. Are you sure the engine is not retarded in timing, blocked fuel filter etc, I would be checking base engine stuff as well....
Old 04-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
stock1991
Limited supply

1.3 isn't performance but from memory I agree with GT they should buzz around ok, even with the A/C
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power delivery seems pretty consistent. Does have a lazy AC compressor and problem with low pressure lines, which might be causing extra drag (According to mechanic). Was just gonna add the headers, bash the cat in and see how it goes. Worth adding a cold air filter?

Have run fuel system cleaner through it. Says 36,000km but condition of car doesn’t seem consistent with this. Belts seem to be chirpy which is unusual for low km car, can see steel lines on side - is this a wear indicator?

Also the steering effort seems unusually heavy even for a non PS a car. Would lowering the unsprung mass with cheap alloys and lower rolling resistance tyres help? Or something to do with suspension?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there anyThing I can do with the ECU to increase power? I notice JDM models have a higher redline and power outputs compared to mine I wonder if I could plug one in? Or something idk
Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Is there anyThing I can do with the ECU to increase power? I notice JDM models have a higher redline and power outputs compared to mine I wonder if I could plug one in? Or something idk
Don't mess around with the ECU as it may cause you more problems than you start with.

Remove the compressor belt and see if that makes a difference if you think the compressor clutch is dragging or almost seized. If it runs the water pump, just do it for a short period otherwise the engine will over heat.

Non power steering was always hard, especially if you just came out of a car with PS.

Check base timing and fuel filter for blockages, maybe even clean the injectors off car. Running cleaner will not cure blockages as it is more of a preventative thing than a cure!!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess I just had some foolish romantic notion about lotus Elise or Alfa 4C not having P/S and expecting it to be great lol. I can see it has the same steering ratio for P/S and manual steer cars. Even the old XD Falcons had a different ratio steering box to compensate .

I’ll check the fuel filter out and might as well replace it thanks .
Old 09-01-2018, 03:13 AM   #12
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok following some impulse eBay shopping, I have some pacemakers on the way, which necessitates a full exhaust system upgrade. I was thinking of a 2-inch exhaust system as I’ve read elsewhere that any bigger and you loose too much backpressure.

Been quoted $350 for a high flow cat but given that’s a sizeable portion of the car’s price I can’t really justify this. Is there a universal fitment for catalytic converters or a guide somewhere? I want to find something cheap and off the shelf that works if possible.

Also is a K&N cold air filter a WOFTAM? Or will it be better than a K&N square filter?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
bacruzr
Starter Motor

Mate just bought one myself....1.3....5spd manual......clean sensors.....throttle body.........oil change...air and fuel filter....clean intank sock filter on fuel pump.....injector cleaner and run it off 95 or 98 octance and she'll buzz mate....mod the exhzust is waste of money unless you're running a 100 shot or hair dryer.
bacruzr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post