Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #31
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84

I wonder if a few officers will take the chev badge off and place a holden badge there
I think you are forgetting that they are going to america.. patriotism to the extreme (ie. no way )
Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

*edit*
If you don't like the thread why bother clicking on it? :

Anyway, good on Holden, well hopefully it goes through.
Good for Australian jobs.
Ford need to try and push for exports (SA, NZ and Tassy are not good enough).

I do find it strange they went for the Caprice, it is a large car (for large Americans I guess), but I can't imagine it would be all that agile.

Last edited by fairmont1998; 06-10-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Quotes deleted post.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #33
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the holden v8 imported from the states? if it is,,seems a bit weird importing it from usa then installing it into a car then shiping it back to the states,,,surely it would be cheaper and greener to import the car from here with out the motor and do the install over there,,,
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I'd have doubts this will happen. LAPD and other large police forces in the USA have continued with the Crown Vic not because it was such a great car but because of economies of scale. They have so many of them because they've been in production so long, that when they get a new one it's basically identical to the 5yo one they've decommissioned so they just pull out all the cop-specific gear (radio gear, cages, lightbars, etc) and put it in the new one. If they switch to Holdens (or Dodge Chargers, etc) then they have to re-engineer all that stuff to fit. Once it it done the first time it's OK, but it's just getting over that first round of conversions and tooling changes .. and no one wants to pay for that.
They are going to have to switch to something because the Crown Vic is just about dead.

Would be pretty cool if they could get the cab market too, I imagine thats a large chunk of sales too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOOK N CAROL
is this FORD forums or im a half sucked holden pasifier forum? GO FORD or GO HOME!!
Go back to the 70's and take your blinkers off.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #36
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If they want them?? They will make them there or Canada...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #37
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
And where is Ford Aus with the Falcon XR6 Turbo, they should be flogging that gem to the US cops!!!

Interesting, How the USA are pushing V8 Cop cars and we are trying to get rid of V8's and even the 6T's Cop cars!!.

anyway Good on Holden, no matter what you think of there product at least they are game enough to push it internationally!!

I would hazard a guess that a standard sedan (even a large one like a Falc) is too small for the US cops when they have all the protection barriers etc put in. Not enough rear space for the criminals. The current Ford Victorias in use over there are Fairlane sized.

Also, regarding the 'opposition kicking a winning goal' Ford Oz does not have a competitor car to the Stateman. The Fairlane was discontinued long ago because it was so butt ugly and conservative in design compared to the Holden that Ford couldn't sell them.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #38
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The offical spec for US cop cars is steel rims, alloy break too easy for the bashing around they do and it's alot more than 2000 cars. They are talking 70,000 a year. Which is why they have been spending so much effort on getting this. As for why a stato, you need room for the new gun rack

greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #39
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Doesn't that look the biz....nice rack.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #40
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
I would hazard a guess that a standard sedan (even a large one like a Falc) is too small for the US cops when they have all the protection barriers etc put in. Not enough rear space for the criminals. The current Ford Victorias in use over there are Fairlane sized.

Also, regarding the 'opposition kicking a winning goal' Ford Oz does not have a competitor car to the Stateman. The Fairlane was discontinued long ago because it was so butt ugly and conservative in design compared to the Holden that Ford couldn't sell them.
100% Correct on all accounts.
The Holden Caprice is about the same dimensions as the best US cop car of all time... the Chevrolet Caprice. The Chevy Caprice was so good that even after they stopped selling them, some small companies used to buy late model ones, recondition them and sell em to the cops cos they wanted them so badly!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Holden are getting into the same boat as Ford with the Statesman and Caprice. Sales here have dropped to a couple of hundred of them a month, nearly as small as amount as what Ford managed with the BF Fairlane before they axed it.

If it wasn't for exports of them to the middle east then they would be unviable. I'd say come the next all new model Commode then there's a fair chance there will not be a LWB version.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

does that include grange and senator??
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
They are talking 70,000 a year.
You've interpretted that wrong, the total police market is 70,000 a year, but thats spread out between the Charger and Crown Vic and whatever else they use. The Caprice won't take all that, they may only get a small slice depending on what individual police forces want it. They might love it, they might hate it.

I'd be interested to see how the Taurus is recieved by the cops as Fords replacement for the Crown Vic. I'd assume they will use the AWD EcoBoost V6 version as FWD would suck.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #44
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Holden are getting into the same boat as Ford with the Statesman and Caprice. Sales here have dropped to a couple of hundred of them a month, nearly as small as amount as what Ford managed with the BF Fairlane before they axed it.

If it wasn't for exports of them to the middle east then they would be unviable. I'd say come the next all new model Commode then there's a fair chance there will not be a LWB version.

As long as there's a wagon variant available there will be a LWB sedan available.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #45
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
As long as there's a wagon variant available there will be a LWB sedan available.
Actually Isnt the Holden sportswagon based on the SWB sedan?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #46
a_misfit

I think I read this is the Middle East spec'ed Caprice, so engines would be:
V8 AFM
V6 SIDI

Funny that the way I read the articles it's a 'done deal', but obviously they are just turning up to the pageant and hoping to impress the judges. In my synical mind I expected the holden media release to say the same:

Holden News Release

May require some deals be done with the Auto workers union I would think?
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
Yep, the sportswagon is based on the SWB sedan platform.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #48
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
yes..
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #49
S/P BLUTE
FPV UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
is the holden v8 imported from the states? if it is,,seems a bit weird importing it from usa then installing it into a car then shiping it back to the states,,,surely it would be cheaper and greener to import the car from here with out the motor and do the install over there,,,
The 6.0ltr is Mexican i belive cheap sweat shop labour need i say more about the quality ! :togo:
FPV SUPER PURSUIT BF II #0096 :evil3:
S/P BLUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #50
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/P BLUTE
The 6.0ltr is Mexican i belive cheap sweat shop labour need i say more about the quality ! :togo:

The most respected old school windsor block is the mexican cast block. Stronger than any OEM one and talked about in any engine building publication. They don't pay them much but they are hard workers. Ford cut their mexican workers pay in half which they claimed was due to the GFC but is really just money grabbing as they were on F all before the cut.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #51
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

good info irish2!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #52
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford now builds diesels in Mexico. Not sure what else they make down there. I think Mexicans are pretty hard working, from what I have been able to observe - even if they do work for less money.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #53
burnz
VFII SS UTE

holden media it's a go, printed saterday.
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...20&docid=57267
Old 07-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #54
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themotorreport.com.au
GM says the Caprice PPV will reach 60pm (96km/h) in under six seconds.
falcons dont even get upto 60PM!! they've obviously made the right choice
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #55
BlackLS
yum

They are using Statos and Caprices as cop cars in Dubai

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #56
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Mexicans are good people man! but mostly they are a very proud people, I married one and if she were to read this she would kick your *** and then gut you and bury you in various places around the country :p (they are quite violent if they have a decent amount of Spanish blood, I've have plenty of things thrown at me over the years )
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #57
johnno3

It'll never happen. The US auto industry union will never allow GM to import the numbers needed to fill the orders when there are jobs needed in the USA & they have a home built alternative (Dodge Charger etc).
Holden do this every couple of years. Make a big announcement about the next big order to the USA then it all goes quiet. Pontiac GTO, G8 & the El Camino just to name a few. Holden have already announced that there will be no 2nd shift at Elizabeth plant again, so how do they propose to fill this massive order?. Good luck to them if they can do it but I have serious doubts.
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #58
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
mexico do not export crate motors!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #59
S/P BLUTE
FPV UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The Mexicans are good people man! but mostly they are a very proud people, I married one and if she were to read this she would kick your *** and then gut you and bury you in various places around the country :p (they are quite violent if they have a decent amount of Spanish blood, I've have plenty of things thrown at me over the years )
Thats ok m8 my family is German and we all know how nice they can be LOL
Iv'e been to Mexico and it is a fantastic place love the food great people its a pity the yanks are screwing them but hey there screwing us all LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #60
S/P BLUTE
FPV UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
mexico do not export crate motors!!
Do they keep them ?????????