Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Not What I Planned For!!! But sounds AWESOME

Howdy PPLS,

Well spending the whole of today going to Clark Rubber and Bunnings, finding rubbers, pipes etc... for a duel intake points, either side of the front grille. Me and my bro said to each other, so not worth it as too much stuffing around for little or no gain...... So while in his Garage i found somthing that gave me an idea

I dont know what brand it is but i know its off his turbo set up. So luckly he didnt need it, he gave it to me. WOOO WHOOO. Its all pretty much the standard piping originally off the engine.

Also took out the stocky filter that as u can see is full of CRAP.

So as soon as it was all in place i just idled it in the drive way and it sounded a slight different but nothing major, then just revved the car and the sucction is a bit louder. I then took it for a spin around the block and its sounds BLOODY AWESOME, its nothing big but its is nothing like the old set up.

I have noticed a slight very slight better performance but nothing to brag about.

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Damo

Old 13-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Induction, mista fiesta

Hey !!
Saw a similar setup on the ukfiestanetwork.

that setup looks to be better than just having standard paper filter... but i think the key is getting rid of the horrid airbox, but i dont know what happens to the engine breather. i know you can get a small filter breather but its most likely illegal.

What would be good would be to get rid of the airbox completely and attach that airfilter element to the pipe that leads to the throttle body.

Any who good stuff :P now all you need is a cold air pipe leading to it.

Also remember, an exposed airfilter element is illegal but only if you get caught :
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow!
is that filter orange thing like the one tutorial on the efc website?
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey XurbanX,

Yes the filter is like the one from eurofordclub website tutorial.

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 13-08-2005 at 05:38 PM.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Dame, youre better off having the pod stuck the way I have, directly on the endo of the intake pipe, as the way you have it still routes the air through the zigzags and baffles in the airbox. Set it up the way I have and you'll hear even more of a difference.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey Danny,

Ur totaly right, i just didnt have an attachment like urs that makes the pipe come out a little. I will try and find one tomorrow at bunnings and give it ago.

Thanks for the advice anyways
Old 13-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
GROOV3
Rollin

yep run it off the std intake, and buy a little oil breather for the rocker cover it sounds sick
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Howdy PPLS,

I went to bunnings to day and got a rubber tube connector. With a little modifications, i got it all sorted and now the intake pipe is direct.

I just reved it in the drive way, its slightly louder than b4 but not much. I will see how it goes when i drive around.
Old 14-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

cool
let us know
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Interesting!

In the first setup, is the air going thru the pod filter, then thru the airbox with the paper filter removed? Just trying to work it out, haven't had a big play with a Fiesta engine before, but that's what i can work out from what I am seeing.

I sure hope all the crap that was in the airbox before the std filter was cleaned out before the engine was started! Important nothing gets sucked in there.

Looks good and innovative, you Fiesta owners sure are doing more about things on the intake side that the Focus boys.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Yes in the first setup i did remove the paper filter and clean it out.

The second setup has proven to be much better as i have noticed better throttle response. Tho not much of a difference in loudness.

I tested going from 0 - 6000rpm and u can hear it much better, but the exhaust note makes it a lot harder to hear

I will probably go and get a k&n filter after my service and hopefully see a much better difference,

Im pretty happy with the result as it cost me next to nothing.
Old 20-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #12
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Just to recap!!!

Having driven the car for a full week, i have noticed more throttle response, louder intake noise and louder exhaust note.

Picked my self a K&N Pod filter for $50 at american auto's in sydney, which was sweet as i was expecting to pay 80- 120 and they threw in a few stickers tooo, im so rice hehehe

But havent managed to install it yet as the inlet hole is a bit big so will have to figure out something.

I might concider in the next couple of weeks to put some heat protection over the intake pipe as it gets a bit too hot.

I will post some pics up hopefully tomorrow with it all working.
Old 20-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Not what i planned for!!!! but sounds AWESOME

Go to bunnings, in the plumbing section.
Find a pvc pipe reducer.
Buy one, sand it a little. then paint it black. done.

this is an artist's impression of a pvc reducer...

This is an artist's impression of damian, when he installs the pod filter :
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 20-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #14
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

ohh and with heat protection.
I think ive posted about this already, i found some awesome stuff, and very cheap.
Ring your local holden parts distributer.
Dont tell them you own a ford, because they are the opposition and are likely to sabotage your plans.

Ask them if they have any sheets of heat insulation, if they ask for a description say its a flexible adhesive tar based product with a fine layer of a reflective metal sheet on it. What a mouthfull (insert dirty pun here)... maybe insert wasnt the best word choice.

anyway, i bought a few sheets of this stuff and covered the whole underside of my airbox which sits on the engine, and all my intake pipes including the one that leads from airbox to throttle body..

its about 40 cm long and 15 cm wide ( if i recall correctly)

It absolutely rockS!!!!!!!!!! after a hard drive you pop the bonnet and put your hand on the airbox and pipes and its ambient temp.

Loads of fun :
Old 20-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

You sure thats a reducer?......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 01:44 AM   #16
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Ok awesome, im pretty sure bunnings has the reducer thingie and i know repco has the heat insulation so i will gte it all done tomorrow and post piccies.

Thanks mitch
Old 21-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

let us know how it goes pod boy

Loads of fun :
Old 21-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Ok wnt to bunnings again and got another pipe that connects the stock piping to the big pod hole, was only about 8 bucks with a few mod ifications.

Didnt get a chance to do the heat insulation but should be able to get it done durning the week.

Old 21-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #19
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

glad it worked out! did you end up using one of the pipe reducers?

just a suggestion, cover up the holes in the airbox. dont want a whole bunch of crap building up in there.

This is tempting me more and more to mod the next bit of the intake, getting a nice smooth 2.5 inch pipe made up that goes from airbox to throttle body.

Loads of fun :
Old 22-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #20
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow wish i knew how to do these things =/
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post