Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #61
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default Re: Phase 4 up for auction

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Does anyone else find it ironic that a factory racecar which never even turned a wheel in the battle it was destined to dominate conjures up so much controversy.
So because they never made it to Bathurst in 72 they are worth millions, however, had they made it and the race unfolded as it had for the P3 they would have been convincingly beaten by the GTR and resigned to history as just another car which didnt make the cut.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #63
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Phase 4 up for auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
Why slightly shady provenance? It would have to be one of the most original XA Falcon in existence no matter what you want to call it, and yet you wipe it like a dirty bum.

Cheers Mick
i agree Mick there is nothing shady about the provenance of the car at all.what is sketchy and more than likely always will be, beyond doubt, is which car is which in the racing scheme and potentially what is considered concourse correct on the ph4 and the prototypes. the great thing about this car is its crazy low mileage which is genuine. the owners of these cars are not short of coin and great people to boot so talking price is not really a going concern for the current owners its more the, "I'm getting a bit old now and these cars now need to be moved on to the next custodian" and an auction house is the best way for this to occur. the word tyre kicker would go to a never before seen level if you were trying to sell such a car yourself!!
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #64
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
i agree Mick there is nothing shady about the provenance of the car at all.what is sketchy and more than likely always will be, beyond doubt, is which car is which in the racing scheme and potentially what is considered concourse correct on the ph4 and the prototypes. the great thing about this car is its crazy low mileage which is genuine. the owners of these cars are not short of coin and great people to boot so talking price is not really a going concern for the current owners its more the, "I'm getting a bit old now and these cars now need to be moved on to the next custodian" and an auction house is the best way for this to occur. the word tyre kicker would go to a never before seen level if you were trying to sell such a car yourself!!

Is the owner getting old or can he see an opportunity for some quick wealth transfer before the next financial Armageddon. Lol.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #65
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Does anyone else find it ironic that a factory racecar which never even turned a wheel in the battle it was destined to dominate conjures up so much controversy.
So because they never made it to Bathurst in 72 they are worth millions, however, had they made it and the race unfolded as it had for the P3 they would have been convincingly beaten by the GTR and resigned to history as just another car which didnt make the cut.
The corollary to that is that the Ph 3 only won Bathurst once, while the XA Hardtop won twice, yet the over the last few decades the Ph 3 commands more $$$ on the market.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #66
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
The corollary to that is that the Ph 3 only won Bathurst once, while the XA Hardtop won twice, yet the over the last few decades the Ph 3 commands more $$$ on the market.

Dr Terry
While that is true, the XA hardtop did not race as a series production car. The XA sedan race cars however were built to series production rules however. In any event, I love the XA shape and it is my favourite falcon.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #67
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

My favorite is XA coupe too. Is any of us buying that race car, probably not, so who cares.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #68
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I was always under the impression that this is XA-3, the spare/road car? Is that in doubt?
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #69
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not necessarily....the one thing that is certain is the rallying ph4 is 100% identified as being the car that it is as it was issued with a cams logbook recording its chassis number. this has all been covered in one of the early aussie muscle car magazines. the part that I think is hazy is the "box 3 was in front of my car then they put box 1 in front of my car"....fact is they are both really important parts of our motoring heritage
3 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #70
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

No-one disputes that they are significant XA GTs. It's a bit disturbing that the identity of this car is hazy though. I'd want a fairly cast-iron trail of provenance if I was shelling out for it, as no doubt, it will go for a pretty sum.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #71
Sioso
irregular member

Just spotted this Phase 3 that came up for sale this arvo:
https://www.australianmusclecarsales...tho-phase.html
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #72
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that GTR win. Holden hadn't run a v8 in series production for years and look what happened the first time they did in 1974 (under improved production regs) - they smoked more than a packet of Marlboro cigarettes before failing. Also an XU1 with a v8 would have been a handful under the rain in 1972 and whose to say it would have handled well. I fancy John French (falcon (2nd) or Chivas/Leo Geoghegan (chargers (3rd and 4th)would have grabbed the win. Also Gibson in 1977 commented when driving the prototype phase 4 that it was a much better car than the phase 3.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #73
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really see the issue with provenance.

Of course which one was actually designated XA-1 holds some interest, but at the end of the day all evidence suggests that when the plug was pulled on the program this car was the least developed of the three, the one that was finished by John Goss at McLeod Ford. Bowden has the only other racecar and it was the more developed of the two still in existence. And one car was smashed.

If you had proof it would be nice to have. But does it matter which one was 1 2 or 3?
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #74
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that GTR win. Holden hadn't run a v8 in series production for years and look what happened the first time they did in 1974 (under improved production regs) - they smoked more than a packet of Marlboro cigarettes before failing. Also an XU1 with a v8 would have been a handful under the rain in 1972 and whose to say it would have handled well. I fancy John French (falcon (2nd) or Chivas/Leo Geoghegan (chargers (3rd and 4th)would have grabbed the win. Also Gibson in 1977 commented when driving the prototype phase 4 that it was a much better car than the phase 3.
The myths surrounding the pace & reliability (or otherwise) of the LJ V8 in 1972 are many & varied.

A few facts though.

1. Harry had already run the car at Bathurst in the Easter event earlier that year in full race trim & it went very well. Larry Perkins drove it in a Sports Sedan race & it placed all against Porsches & the like.

2. The car weighed the same as the 6-cyl XU1 because he used a fibreglass bonnet, which made up for the relatively small weight difference between the 6 & the V8. It wasn't a front heavy pig, as many have said.

3. It had better brakes than the 6-cyl (thicker disc rotors).

4. It was better balanced than the 6-cyl, with the centre of gravity of the engine further back in the engine bay.

5. The 1974 L34 engines didn't actually 'fail'. The smoking problem was due the failure of the engine sump seal where Harry tried a 'home made' pseudo dry sump system. The sump leaked & sprayed engine oil all over the exhaust. You'll notice that those cars were still driving fast when they came into the pits smoking. Another engine died when it simply ran out of engine oil due to the sump leak.

6. They were 6 laps ahead of the opposition at half race distance in 1974 with the heavier LH body.

There are plenty of hard luck stories of the race that got away (both Ford & Holden) but this one will be debated forever.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #75
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wonder if a V8 XU-1 could be used in TCM?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #76
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Just spotted this Phase 3 that came up for sale this arvo:
https://www.australianmusclecarsales...tho-phase.html
interesting history and an even more interesting compliance plate
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #77
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The myths surrounding the pace & reliability (or otherwise) of the LJ V8 in 1972 are many & varied.

A few facts though.

1. Harry had already run the car at Bathurst in the Easter event earlier that year in full race trim & it went very well. Larry Perkins drove it in a Sports Sedan race & it placed all against Porsches & the like.

2. The car weighed the same as the 6-cyl XU1 because he used a fibreglass bonnet, which made up for the relatively small weight difference between the 6 & the V8. It wasn't a front heavy pig, as many have said.

4. It was better balanced than the 6-cyl, with the centre of gravity of the engine further back in the engine bay.

5. The 1974 L34 engines didn't actually 'fail'. The smoking problem was due the failure of the engine sump seal where Harry tried a 'home made' pseudo dry sump system. The sump leaked & sprayed engine oil all over the exhaust. You'll notice that those cars were still driving fast when they came into the pits smoking. Another engine died when it simply ran out of engine oil due to the sump leak.

6. They were 6 laps ahead of the opposition at half race distance in 1974 with the heavier LH body.

There are plenty of hard luck stories of the race that got away (both Ford & Holden) but this one will be debated forever.

Dr Terry
terrible little cars
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #78
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
terrible little cars
PB, nasty is the word you are looking for ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #79
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LJ V8 > P4

horrible little things
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #80
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105 View Post
I don't really see the issue with provenance.

Of course which one was actually designated XA-1 holds some interest, but at the end of the day all evidence suggests that when the plug was pulled on the program this car was the least developed of the three, the one that was finished by John Goss at McLeod Ford. Bowden has the only other racecar and it was the more developed of the two still in existence. And one car was smashed.

If you had proof it would be nice to have. But does it matter which one was 1 2 or 3?

Ummm well considering one was nearly a race car, another was written off and the other one was just a bog standard GT then I’d say yeah, it probably does matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #81
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A few facts though.

Dr Terry
On Brocks car wasnt it a case of the Webber carbs not being synchronized properly?
And due to this a piston burnt out.
Anyway Firth had a bigger baffled sump for the V8 XU1, but GM in their non wisdom didnt use it for the L34.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #82
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Ummm well considering one was nearly a race car, another was written off and the other one was just a bog standard GT then I’d say yeah, it probably does matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry but your info is incorrect, all 3 including the spare were hand built, fully seam welded and fitted with roll cages, the 3 engines where blueprinted and all cars fitted with race prepped Detroit Lockers, the 2 that where further along in race prep where obviously fitted with more equipment.

The spare (bog standard GT ) had to be as ready as possible with only the minimal additions for it to be fit for racing, having to seam weld the whole body and fit a roll cage wouldn't make it much of a spare now would it?

Originally the plan was to have all 3 fully race prepped with the spare ready to go at the drop of a hat, as we now know this never happened with the axe falling and the preparation stopped immediately with the spare being the least race prepped, but as mentioned above, it had all the major construction requirements completed with the rest of the work been mainly bolt on stuff making it a long way from a bog standard XAGT...

It's this spare car that is for sale here....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 15-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #83
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If what you say is correct then wouldn't it be correct in saying that the fact sheet shown in front of this XA is BS as it was not one of the three but the spare ?
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #84
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS: Just dug out a 1987 edition of Super Ford magazine which has a concise writeup by the editor with pictures of all the Ph4's with ID's etc etc and their history and ownership to that date.

This one is listed and was sent to McLeod Ford for John Goss and at a glance it does appear to be one of the 3 but I will need to read the whole mag to get clarification.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #85
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
If what you say is correct then wouldn't it be correct in saying that the fact sheet shown in front of this XA is BS as it was not one of the three but the spare ?
There was only 3 race cars, 2 to race initially and a third (this one) for back up should one of those racing pile up, none of the cars where totally finished for racing with this one been the least prepared.....it is one of the 3....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 23-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #86
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that was a nostalgic read after last reading this mag in 1987

In short this P4 would appear to be ridgy didge but the mag only covers up to 1987.

The 3 racing prototype versions were painted Brambles Red also referred to as Bushfire Red. The three were supplied by Ford to the following. John Goss, Bruce Hodgson and Keith Goodhall. The vins are:

JG33MC78429K - Given to Keith Goodhall

It was the most completed P4 at that time. It was supplied to Goodhall by Ford with rally suspension as he did rallying. On a trip to Darwin it also dropped two pushrods and repairs were half hearted.

David Bowden brought it from Keith Goodhall.

It appears he then sold it to Kim Rane who drag raced it but he overcooked it at 8000rpm and she threw a rod. The engine was rebuilt using another block so its total originality was now gone. It also lost its original eared sump presuambly as it was also damaged.

Bowden then repurchased it from Rane in 1980 but indicates it was in poor shape and the engine was not nice so it was rebuilt again.

It was subsequently sold it to Rod Mann with an option of first refusal if he decided to sell it later.

She's had a few changes from original

JG33MC78488K - Given to Bruce Hodgson

Bruce also rallied the crap out of this old girl. In 1985 he sold it to Bob Fletcher. Fletcher removed its P4 engine for use in his son's speedboat who later broke a bridge to bridge ski race. A normal GT engine was fitted in its place.

A popular mith concerning its eventual demise was that Hodgson sold it to a dude who wrote it off on his first drive.

It met its demise as Fletcher had sold it and that person hit an out of control caravan being towed by a Commodore and it barrel rolled etc etc and ended up on its roof destroyed.

Hodgson ended up buying the wreck but sold off most off its remaining parts so she was no more but he kept its vin plate .

JG33MC83054K - J Hemphil and Sons

Ended up with the Dentist which is well known.

Now the one advertised.

JG33MC78489K - Given to McLeod Ford for John Goss

Sold to D Matherson in 1974 then to Barry Bassingthwaighte in 1977 who sold it 5 weeks later to Lester Good . It was then resold by Bassingthwaighte on consignment to Kenneth Dawson in 1978. No exact info on who did but it seems it was then given to a used car dealer John H on consignment but he decided to purchase it in late 1978.

An interesting fact concerning indentification of this one and the Goodhall P4 was that although it was apparently against the rules, Howard Marsden had an alloy panel welded in behind the back seats so as to give further protection to his drivers to separate them from the huge fuel tank. But in addition this one advertised should also have an alloy plate in place of the parcel shelf.

There's a lot more additional info and some hilarious facts on their useage but given this info it would seem this P4 being advertised is indeed legit, if it still also has those alloy panels

One other interesting picture is of a P3 that was basically secret as it had been fitted with all the P4 running gear as a test mule. I wonder if it was later stripped or someone also ended up with it and doesn't know

Last edited by ozrunner; 23-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 23-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #87
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
interesting history and an even more interesting compliance plate
I remember that old basher, ex Perth car.......

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #88
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Well that was a nostalgic read after last reading this mag in 1987

In short this P4 would appear to be ridgy didge but the mag only covers up to 1987.

The 3 racing prototype versions were painted Brambles Red also referred to as Bushfire Red. The three were supplied by Ford to the following. John Goss, Bruce Hodgson and Keith Goodhall. The vins are:

JG33MC78429K - Given to Keith Goodhall

It was the most completed P4 at that time. It was supplied to Goodhall by Ford with rally suspension as he did rallying. On a trip to Darwin it also dropped two pushrods and repairs were half hearted.

David Bowden brought it from Keith Goodhall.

It appears he then sold it to Kim Rane who drag raced it but he overcooked it at 8000rpm and she threw a rod. The engine was rebuilt using another block so its total originality was now gone. It also lost its original eared sump presuambly as it was also damaged.

Bowden then repurchased it from Rane in 1980 but indicates it was in poor shape and the engine was not nice so it was rebuilt again.

It was subsequently sold it to Rod Mann with an option of first refusal if he decided to sell it later.

She's had a few changes from original

JG33MC78488K - Given to Bruce Hodgson

Bruce also rallied the crap out of this old girl. In 1985 he sold it to Bob Fletcher. Fletcher removed its P4 engine for use in his son's speedboat who later broke a bridge to bridge ski race. A normal GT engine was fitted in its place.

A popular mith concerning its eventual demise was that Hodgson sold it to a dude who wrote it off on his first drive.

It met its demise as Fletcher had sold it and that person hit an out of control caravan being towed by a Commodore and it barrel rolled etc etc and ended up on its roof destroyed.

Hodgson ended up buying the wreck but sold off most off its remaining parts so she was no more but he kept its vin plate .

JG33MC83054K - J Hemphil and Sons

Ended up with the Dentist which is well known.

Now the one advertised.

JG33MC78489K - Given to McLeod Ford for John Goss

Sold to D Matherson in 1974 then to Barry Bassingthwaighte in 1977 who sold it 5 weeks later to Lester Good . It was then resold by Bassingthwaighte on consignment to Kenneth Dawson in 1978. No exact info on who did but it seems it was then given to a used car dealer John H on consignment but he decided to purchase it in late 1978.

An interesting fact concerning indentification of this one and the Goodhall P4 was that although it was apparently against the rules, Howard Marsden had an alloy panel welded in behind the back seats so as to give further protection to his drivers to separate them from the huge fuel tank. But in addition this one advertised should also have an alloy plate in place of the parcel shelf.

There's a lot more additional info and some hilarious facts on their useage but given this info it would seem this P4 being advertised is indeed legit, if it still also has those alloy panels

One other interesting picture is of a P3 that was basically secret as it had been fitted with all the P4 running gear as a test mule. I wonder if it was later stripped or someone also ended up with it and doesn't know
Dave Bowden re-purchased his and still owns today.....if you or anyone wants to know the whole story of the 3 race cars to date go and visit the Bowden collection, they have the most complete documentation of the cars in question (thats where John Wright of Super Ford magazine got a lot/most of the info for the article back in the day) and they are quite happy to pass on the info, fantastic collection and well worth the visit when they have an open day....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBnRqgg_VKE

Part of the article from Super Ford....

http://www.gtho4.com/The-Final-Finest-Phase-1987.pdf

3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #89
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Did anyone notice that this car in the auction is Lot 6!!

Lot 6 Mahoneys Rd is where these cars were really born. I wonder if that is coincidence or planned.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #90
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only the green one is real
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post